Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Galaxy 6
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Galaxy 6
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Some news on the next Star Wars Galaxy product...

quote:
Star Wars Galaxy #6 Trading Cards Hobby
(SRP-$3.99) 7 cards per pack / 24 packs per box / 8 boxes per case
Orders Due: 12-10-10 Release Date: 3-2-11

Topps is releasing Star Wars Galaxy 6 - one of its most beloved entertainment card brands.

When this innovative all-art Star Wars trading card series was first introduced in 1993, it was a relatively quiet time for Star Wars. The original movie trilogy was long gone from theaters and talk of more films was purely speculation. Yet when Topps' Star Wars Galaxy cards hit store shelves, the groundbreaking idea took fans on a collecting joy ride that spanned three different series, two coffee table books, and encompassed more than 350 spectacular pieces of Star Wars artwork.

Star Wars Galaxy Series 6 continues this tradition with a 120-card gallery of diverse artist interpretations of the Star Wars Universe:
* "New Visions": Over 50 exclusive, new paintings from well-known and up-and-coming comics artists and fantasy illustrators. Features imaginative scenes not seen in the films and presented here for the first time.
* "The Force Unleashed 2": Dazzling visuals from LucasArts latest video game release.
* Movie Posters, Comics & Book Cover Art: Iconic imagery never-before-seen on trading cards

Trading cards have come a long way since 1993 and Star Wars Galaxy Series 6 is filled with all of the bells and whistles that today's collector expects.
* One of-a-Kind Sketches: Rendered shaped sketch cards & traditional size cards. One per box guaranteed.
* First ever Sketchagraphs! Sketch Cards autographed by Star Wars actors!
* Foil Cards - Beautiful illustrations by Brian Rood reproduced on metallic foil with bronze, gold and sequentially numbered prismatic parallels.
* Etched Foil Puzzle cards: Initiated with the first Galaxy set, this 6 card puzzle connects with puzzles from other Star Wars card series to create one continuous panorama. Featuring artwork by Joe Corroney and Brian Miller. Plus, look for 1/1 original etched foil artwork!
* 1/1 Printing Plates: The actual plates used to produce the cards

And...
quote:
Star Wars Galaxy #6 Trading Cards Retail
(SRP-$2.99) 7 cards per pack / 24 packs per box / 16 boxes per case
Orders Due: 12-10-10 Release Date: 3-2-11

* Cel Cards featuring vintage Kenner Slide Art.
* Foil Cards - Beautiful illustrations by Brian Rood reproduced on metallic foil with bronze, gold and sequentially numbered prismatic parallels.
* Etched Foil Puzzle cards: Initiated with the first Galaxy set, this 6 card puzzle connects with puzzles from other Star Wars card series to create one continuous panorama. Featuring artwork by Joe Corroney and Brian Miller.

Looks like there will be a reason to go after the retail this time around. Those cel cards sound pretty cool.

No word if there will be a Target retail version with red sketches...

Looking forward to this one.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Here is the sell sheet

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
The sell sheets states that this set is due out March 2010, we must have all missed it Big Grin I'll be in for a couple of cases.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I'm not really getting a "bells and whistles" feel from what was listed. The foil with parallel chase set has been done to death with Topps. The etched-foil-puzzle chase set is kind of a tradition with the Galaxy series I suppose. Actor-signed sketch cards? Not really thinking too far outside the box on that one. Aside from the Kenner slide cels (retail cels - almost a guarantee with a Star Wars Topps release), there isn't anything really "bells and whistles" worthy in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Star Wars fan. I'm just waiting for a card company that actually brings something new to the table with a release. The only recent innovation I can think of, is the Metallogloss cards from Breygent. Years ago, I envisioned the cards of the future would be mind-blowing. It's sad to say, that in 2010/2011, the only thing Topps could come up with is foil parallels.

I know I'm viewed as way too critical, but please don't mistake my love and passion for this hobby as negativity.

Oh, and yes, I'll buy Star Wars Galaxy 6. But all the while, I'll be optimistic for Galaxy 7 with some true "bells and whistles".

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that a real sell sheet?

It doesn't seem very professionally done, has a big mistake in the date, and mentions 'Sketchagraphs,' which I don't believe has ever been used for a Topps product -- it was a Fleer/Skybox thing. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Is that a real sell sheet?

It doesn't seem very professionally done, has a big mistake in the date, and mentions 'Sketchagraphs,' which I don't believe has ever been used for a Topps product -- it was a Fleer/Skybox thing. . .

Jon

Topps does not often print sales sheets anymore, so this was a PDF someone at Topps threw together. Obviously without much supervision.

The Sketchagraph for this set is an actor signed sketch card. I guess they didn't think someone had already used that name, but then maybe it was never trademarked.

Ed

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my Galaxy 6 cards....

Jim Kyle

Posts: 353 | Location: Jersey | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Like the cards I do....

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
First class cards, as always, Jim!

Liking the samples I'm seeing from different artists. Lots of good stuff coming.

Ed

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
lovely color style, very original Jim

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone...These are my only 3 artist returns.

Jim Kyle

Posts: 353 | Location: Jersey | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
A customer said he called Topps about the 'sketchagraph' autos and actually talked to someone who knew something they would share. But until I see something official I would still call this a well informed rumor...

Autographs From:
  • Mark Hammill
  • Carrie Fisher
  • Ray Park
  • Jake Lloyd
  • Amy Allen
  • Orli Shoshan
  • and a couple he couldn't remember

The Hammill and Fisher will be Ultra Rare, the rest will be relatively equal numbers.

Autos will fall approximately 1 per case (no guarantee).

And the best news: No Stickers! Bouncey These will be on-card autographs.

Now, I would have had a few more questions if I had the ear of someone willing to share information...

Will these be random sketches of the character, or were the sketches done specifically for the sketchagraph cards?

Sketch card artists who specialize in photo-realistic sketches were used for these? Yes?

Was there a special card for these so the autograph has a 'place' on the card? Or will the actor be signing right over the artwork.

But, it's something to have some information.

Ed

•  
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    Picture of DavidDeb
    posted Hide Post
    that's interesting news...especially the on-card autos

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of JR2D2
    posted Hide Post
    Good news if it turns out to be true on the on card autos (a turning point for Topps perhaps?). Shame about the rareity, one per case, not worth the cost of this set, I'd seriously consider downsizing my order on this set. Need some clarification on those images on the auto. I'll beleive this when I see it Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JR2D2,

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Manufacturer
    posted Hide Post
    Hey Guys,

Posted this bit of info over at Scoundrel earlier today.

Sketchagraphs will net out to be 1:135 packs. These are special cards, different and separate from the standard sketches. Signed ON THE CARD by each actor, then sketched by a group of select artists. Images will pop up next week.

The list of signers is:

Mark Hamill
    Carrie Fisher
    Ray Park
    Jake Lloyd
    Orli Shoshan
    Amy Allen
    Jon Berg
    John Morton
    Mike Quinn

Artists:
    Adam Hughes
    Alex Buechel
    Allison Sohn
    Brian Rood
    Cat Staggs
    Doug Cowan
    Grant Gould
    Jamie Snell
    Jim Kyle
    John Haun
    Kevin Graham
    Kevin Doyle
    Kyle Babbitt
    Lin Workman
    Otis Frampton
    Randy Martinez
    Rich Molinelli
    Sarah Wilkinson
    Sean Pence
    Steve Stanley
    Tim Proctor
    Tom Hodges

All artist quantities are generally the same but differ by 1-2 cards each.
    All signers did the same except for Mark and Carrie, who obviously contributed less, but won't be necessarily be ultra rare. Desirability will too, of course be based on your taste in art.

I hope the sketch cards for Galaxy 6 will please everyone here (if that's possible). They're incredible strong, lots of color and very few repeats with little or no pencil repeats at all. We've done a lot of work to improve the experience for collectors and make a more enriching product.

Thanks,
    -David.

Posts: 36 | Location: New York | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    Picture of DavidDeb
    posted Hide Post
    that's good news!

Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of steve j
    posted Hide Post
    That's one to two per case, or to be exact 1.42 per case. That's pretty good odds. I think the case breakers will do very well on this set.

David - thanks for posting.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Manufacturer
    posted Hide Post
    I'm in for a couple of cases, might try and squeeze some funds for just one more though

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    Picture of DewMan
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by David Waldeck:
    Hey Guys,

Posted this bit of info over at Scoundrel earlier today.

Sketchagraphs will net out to be 1:135 packs. These are special cards, different and separate from the standard sketches. Signed ON THE CARD by each actor, then sketched by a group of select artists. Images will pop up next week.

The list of signers is:

Mark Hamill
    Carrie Fisher
    Ray Park
    Jake Lloyd
    Orli Shoshan
    Amy Allen
    Jon Berg
    John Morton
    Mike Quinn

Hey, it's *almost* like Topps visited the autograph hall at Celebration V and got the same autographs there that I did.

Big ol' Wink

Two birds, one stone.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of william291077
    posted Hide Post
    Howdy,

I upped my order of Star Wars Galaxy, getting quite excited about the set.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post