Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falling Skies
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted
Rittenhouse just announced picking up this license. Show looks good and the cards should be great!

"We have just signed a deal with TNT to produce trading cards for Falling Skies, which stars Noah Wyle! The first series of Falling Skies cards will be released this summer."

Just in case any of you , like me, missed the show.

Falling Skies tells the story of the aftermath of a global invasion by several races of extraterrestrials (including the lizard-like beings known as Skitters; a race of seemingly humanoid grey-skinned beings that seem to be their commanders; and mechanical Attack Drones called mechs) that neutralizes the world's power grid and technology, quickly destroys the combined militaries of all the world's countries, and apparently kills over 90% of the human population within a few days. The invasion and the objectives of the Aliens is not explained, though the aliens try to round up children between 8 and 16 and attach a metallic obedience device onto (and into) their spines, referred to as a 'harness'. The aliens use mind control to control the children. Forcibly removing the device instantly kills the child. The story picks up six months after the invasion and follows a group of survivors who band together to fight back. The group, known as the Second Massachusetts (an allusion to a historical regiment from the Continental Army), is led by the retired Captain Weaver and Boston University history professor Tom Mason who, while in search of his son Ben, must put his extensive knowledge of military history into practice as one of the leaders of the resistance movement.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's great, love the show!

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
While my sons and I dig the show, I would think it a bit risky with ony a single season under their belt.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen the show or heard very much about it at all. Sounds a lot like V in nature. Don't know how many people would be interested based on the title. Without a stake in the show, I would judge any card set strictly by content value.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I assume this means Falling Skies is being renewed for a second season, can't imagine RA would risk the title without at least that vote of confidence.

Didn't see this one coming. The show is OK, if predictable. Could be a sleeper hit. Or not.

Kudos to RA for looking beyond their normal stable of licenses though. Never know, it might get some real traction in season 2 and be a great decision.

Wonder if TNT came to them with the idea? That does happen on occasion.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I assume this means Falling Skies is being renewed for a second season, can't imagine RA would risk the title without at least that vote of confidence.

Ed

Yep...it was picked up a while ago.

Seems like they would be better off going with something like The Closer or Rizzoli & Isles

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Haven't seen the show or heard very much about it at all. Sounds a lot like V in nature.

I watched the whole 1st season, and to me it was more like it was trying to be a family friendly "Walking Dead" type show with Aliens instead of Zombies and not succeeding. As it felt like it was trying too hard.
Just my opinion. Smile
Not something I'm that interested in, but if they get Noah Wyle to sign, I'll grab one of his autos.

I personally would have loved if they said they got the license to "Haven". I know it's a bit slow but I love it, and it's been renewed for a third season.
I so much want a Emily Rose auto, as I love the "Uncharted" games. And someone should seriously consider doing sets for games, I know I've said it before but I think there is a huge untapped market there. Games are the biggest money making business today, and you would be surprised at how many stars of our favourite shows voice the characters.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Ed

Yep...it was picked up a while ago.

Seems like they would be better off going with something like The Closer or Rizzoli & Isles

God I wish someone would pick up The Closer and Rizzoli and Isles, but I guess they're not mainstream enough, or sci-fi enough for these card companies.

It seems silly to me for RA to pick up this show after just one season. They did the same thing with Caprica and it got cancelled, so they then cancelled the set.

Kind of annoys me that some new shows can get card sets, yet other great shows that have been around for years get nothing.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Haven't seen the show or heard very much about it at all. Sounds a lot like V in nature.

I watched the whole 1st season, and to me it was more like it was trying to be a family friendly "Walking Dead" type show with Aliens instead of Zombies and not succeeding. As it felt like it was trying too hard.
Just my opinion. Smile
Not something I'm that interested in, but if they get Noah Wyle to sign, I'll grab one of his autos.

I personally would have loved if they said they got the license to "Haven". I know it's a bit slow but I love it, and it's been renewed for a third season.
I so much want a Emily Rose auto, as I love the "Uncharted" games. And someone should seriously consider doing sets for games, I know I've said it before but I think there is a huge untapped market there. Games are the biggest money making business today, and you would be surprised at how many stars of our favourite shows voice the characters.

Hey I totally agree, how many people are into video games these days - an absolute tonne. I haven't played Uncharted (PS only right?), but I love the Halo's and recently Batman Arkham City - brilliant game. Stana Katic who plays Beckett in Castle voiced Tahlia in this game.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love this show and I posted in the 'what tv shows would make good sets?' thread months ago requesting this show. This seems like exactly the kind of set Rittenhouse excels at: large cast, lot of guest stars, large fan base (it was one of the highest rated shows on cable), genre based. I think this would also probably end up being a premium pack set. Shows like Rizzoli and Isles have better ratings, but the fanbase is also composed of people who don't buy cards and are not going to start. My mother and my in-laws love Rizzoli and Isles -- if I gave them some cards about the show, they would probably drop them in the trash as soon as they thought I wouldn't notice them doing it.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I remember hearing about this show but it never aired here as far as I know. Sounds like something I'd be interested in and there are definitely a few cast members I'd like autos of.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Speaking of TNT shows, I think "Leverage" might be a fun set- plus Christian Kane, Aldis Hodge, and guest stars like Jeri Ryan and Emma Caulfield have all signed cards before.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
I absolutely love this show and I posted in the 'what tv shows would make good sets?' thread months ago requesting this show. This seems like exactly the kind of set Rittenhouse excels at: large cast, lot of guest stars, large fan base (it was one of the highest rated shows on cable), genre based. I think this would also probably end up being a premium pack set. Shows like Rizzoli and Isles have better ratings, but the fanbase is also composed of people who don't buy cards and are not going to start. My mother and my in-laws love Rizzoli and Isles -- if I gave them some cards about the show, they would probably drop them in the trash as soon as they thought I wouldn't notice them doing it.

There are a lot of younger fans of R&I aswell though. Besides, I could quite imagine the same thing about NCIS - large fan base, but many people wouldn't be card collectors. Same thing with shows like Six Feet Under and The Sopranos.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
There are a lot of younger fans of R&I aswell though. Besides, I could quite imagine the same thing about NCIS - large fan base, but many people wouldn't be card collectors. Same thing with shows like Six Feet Under and The Sopranos.

Well, the jury is still out whether NCIS will provide fans who buy cards. Luckily the viewer numbers are huge, so you need a smaller percentage of them to be interested in cards.

We all know how well Six Feet Under and The Sopranos turned out. I still think Sopranos might have been the stake in the heart for Inkworks. The license couldn't have been cheap and the cards did nothing.

Walking Dead has brought some new people into collecting, this one could too. I wish there was enough in the marketing budget to actually do a commercial during the show. It's hard to get the word out to the fans of the show who aren't collectors. The collectors will find out, it's the ones that enjoy the show that don't realize there is product out there. At bigger "comic cons" I get people all the time picking up a base set and saying they didn't even know they made anything for the show.

Hard to break into new markets, especially when the products now are mostly hobby outlets only.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post