Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond to Upper Deck
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond to Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also a lot of times on ePack people are willing to give away digital cards. . . There are several accounts on ePack that are literally just there for people to dump unwanted base cards.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just saw this on another site and I thought it was interesting. Sean Bean signed his James Bond inscription card as his character's name, Alec Trevelyan, but that was all. He didn't include his own signature as Sean Bean.

Not sure how anyone else would feel, but I wouldn't like it. It would be fine if he did both, but otherwise I really wouldn't count it as an autograph from him at all.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a good one to have if you already had a sean bean auto but i would not pay anywhere near as much for it.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Corinne Clery also signed her inscription autographs with her character name only (Corinne Dufour).

Maybe the wording/instructions on whatever Upper Deck sent the actors was not the clearest to understand. Well for these two anyway!

And I agree, more of an interesting variant than an autograph worth paying decent money for.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by X:
Maybe the wording/instructions on whatever Upper Deck sent the actors was not the clearest to understand. Well for these two anyway!/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought of that and I wonder if it's possible that the idea of adding an inscription could have gotten them so confused. Maybe for Clery, because she may not have signed more than a couple of Bond cards in the past, but surely Bean has had much higher demand and has signed in different titles and probably as a show guest. Can he not know that he is supposed to sign his own name some place for it to be an authentic autograph? Wouldn't he ask if he didn't understand what "inscription" means?

I don't know, sometimes celebrities seem oblivious to their own collectibles and then some of them know everything about their fandoms and their market values.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Maybe Bean didn't sign em. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I dunno, is it a bit sad that he spent more time and detail in signing Alec Trevelyan than he does signing Sean Bean?

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I dunno, is it a bit sad that he spent more time and detail in signing Alec Trevelyan than he does signing Sean Bean?

Personally as an autograph collector I would not be interested in the inscription only cards -- there are a few coming out lately. . . I think maybe Upper Deck isn't being clear with their instructions.

Here is one from Goodwin, and I thought I saw another from Bond, but I can't seem to find it now. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Who is that? It's a little too small, but the only "Dollar Bill" I can remember is Bill Bradley of the NY Knicks and that's not him. Big Grin

If these are nicknames I wouldn't even call them inscriptions myself. If they are character names, or movie titles, or even dates, its a little closer. I enjoy the line quotes more, but also not really an inscription. To me these are all variants, especially when the card maker is giving them specific phrases to write and is keeping track of the number of each version going out.

An inscription is an addition by the signer, usually of a personal nature or something specifically addressed to the person receiving it. Card makers have decided they can use the term to maximize the value of a regular autograph card into a new type of premium hit. But it's still only an autograph card with a variant and some variants will add value and some may detract value, depending on how the card looks and what appeals to a collector.

What will not add value is if the signer doesn't actually sign his/her name anyplace. What kind of certified autograph card has no certified autograph because they are writing a bunch of junk? Big Grin You would think someone would know better. Wink

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Who is that?

Aries Spears. ( no, nor me. ) Confused

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Who is that?

Aries Spears. ( no, nor me. ) Confused

Correct. Dollar Bill was one of the characters he did on MadTV

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yup, an inscription is fine but without the autograph, its a bit of a miss for me.

epacks are rolling, still no rash of Waltz sigs being listed.

As best as I can calculate I don't think there are any more than 300 across the 3 versions.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, an inscription is fine but without the autograph, its a bit of a miss for me.

epacks are rolling, still no rash of Waltz sigs being listed.

As best as I can calculate I don't think there are any more than 300 across the 3 versions.

Yeah, tough card -- there are only 20 visible Waltz autos on ePack (more could be locked in collections), and there has only been 1 sold on COMC.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

Yeah, tough card -- there are only 20 visible Waltz autos on ePack (more could be locked in collections), and there has only been 1 sold on COMC.

So with epack there is a method to see which cards have been sold or open?

Yeah, it just seems to me, with such a full autograph and being a fan favorite between both Bond and Tarantino films I can't help but see most of these go straight into collections.

posted Hide Post
quote:

So with epack there is a method to see which cards have been sold or open?

By default all cards that are opened on ePack are available in the 'marketplace' -- which just means they are available for people to make you trade offers. If you lock a card it disappears from the marketplace and no one can make you an offer on it.

You can get a good idea of rarity by comparing how many of a given card are available in the marketplace compared to other cards.

Also on COMC you can tell how many copies of a card have sold. I think there is a way to see how much they sold for too, but you need to buy points for that or something.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Do the e-pack daily free packs only contain base cards?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Do the e-pack daily free packs only contain base cards?

yes.

Some of the free pack cards can be combined in to physical cards, but some can't.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Any word on whether Upper Deck will do a card set for the next Bond movie, NO TIME TO DIE, which is coming to theaters in April ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Any word on whether Upper Deck will do a card set for the next Bond movie, NO TIME TO DIE, which is coming to theaters in April ?

Good question, but NO I haven't heard anything about plans for the next movie's cards. I would be interested in hearing if UD might not just put out a Bond Series 2 and incorporate the new movie into it if the schedule matched for late 2020. There were a slew of good name actors missing from this first one, not to mention Craig and Brosnan.

I could be wrong because I only have the info I can find, but I don't think this first set was all that successful. The box hits seemed very quite. The ePacks came out at the end of August and there was relatively little talk about them that I saw too. Quite a few experienced Bond collectors on Card Talk have said that they have no interest in buying the UD cards, apart from maybe 2 or 3 autographs.

I thought the cards were much better than I expected, but I didn't pull any of the several big names that I was looking for out of my boxes either. There is no doubt that RA covered this territory much better than UD ever will. Unfortunately its because many Bond signers have passed away and others may not be doing it anymore. UD picked up the license and it would be foolish for them to get only one set out of it, so I have to believe they will come out with something, but they aren't going to compete with only repeat signers, although I do think collectors shouldn't complain too much about more opportunities as many of the RA cards are locked up in private collections.