Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond to Upper Deck
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond to Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Any word on whether Upper Deck will do a card set for the next Bond movie, NO TIME TO DIE, which is coming to theaters in April ?

Good question, but NO I haven't heard anything about plans for the next movie's cards. I would be interested in hearing if UD might not just put out a Bond Series 2 and incorporate the new movie into it if the schedule matched for late 2020. There were a slew of good name actors missing from this first one, not to mention Craig and Brosnan.

I could be wrong because I only have the info I can find, but I don't think this first set was all that successful. The box hits seemed very quite. The ePacks came out at the end of August and there was relatively little talk about them that I saw too. Quite a few experienced Bond collectors on Card Talk have said that they have no interest in buying the UD cards, apart from maybe 2 or 3 autographs.

I thought the cards were much better than I expected, but I didn't pull any of the several big names that I was looking for out of my boxes either. There is no doubt that RA covered this territory much better than UD ever will. Unfortunately its because many Bond signers have passed away and others may not be doing it anymore. UD picked up the license and it would be foolish for them to get only one set out of it, so I have to believe they will come out with something, but they aren't going to compete with only repeat signers, although I do think collectors shouldn't complain too much about more opportunities as many of the RA cards are locked up in private collections.

I thought that some of the sets in the Upper Deck releases were quite creative and well done (the acetate cards in particular, as well as the silver and goal cards).

The biggest deterrent in having me buy any of the cards was the same issue that I have with most of Upper Deck’s releases: the MSRP is too steep for what you get in a box, and by the time I am ready to take the plunge, either the supply has dried up or the prices have tanked, making it cheaper to just buy the cards piecemeal. The fact that UD keeps a lot of the good hits for Epack and the prices on that will never get anywhere near the cheap prices for the physical product (let alone the fees associated with just getting the card to you) also makes me stay away.

When I can still buy the Rittenhouse products and get a solid product with reasonable odds of pulling something good at a reasonable price, I am not inclined to make the jump to the UD product. A new movie may result in more interest in UD sets, but I am willing to be patient and buy the cards individually.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is really the first Bond set I've delved in to and I just bought in to it because it was available on ePack. I think I bought 20 packs, and pulled 3 autographs (Whishaw, Wisniewski and Krabbe inscription), and was able to trade for several other autographs. Also picked up a Cleese auto on COMC for a really good price.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Any word if there will be a Bond set by Upper Deck in 2020, or is the last one a one shot deal ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Any word if there will be a Bond set by Upper Deck in 2020, or is the last one a one shot deal ?

I would refer you to UD because I don't know what this means in the latest NSU. Under the 2020 Vision article, Upper Deck notes "spring makes an ideal time for Upper Deck to launch James Bond and Henchmen". That title is not mentioned in the upcoming release schedule though, not even as a TBA. So I don't know if its a true card set, or a game or an ePack/digital product or something else entirely.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
If Rittenhouse were still doing the cards they would stick these -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51533469
- ... on the cards and call them very limited collectibles.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

The Royal Mail often do a set of postcards with the images of the stamps on them, these would make a nice set.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

The Royal Mail often do a set of postcards with the images of the stamps on them, these would make a nice set.

They have done for this set

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Enhancing Hammer's comment, the Royal Mail website is offering 39 different James Bond products all based around the stamps. All are pre-order only as release date is the 17th March. 1 item (James Bond Secret Dossier) is to be released on the 31st March. The postcards total 11 and cost £4.50.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Enhancing Hammer's comment, the Royal Mail website is offering 39 different James Bond products all based around the stamps. All are pre-order only as release date is the 17th March. 1 item (James Bond Secret Dossier) is to be released on the 31st March. The postcards total 11 and cost £4.50.

regards

John

£4.95 on Royal Mail website

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

regards

John

£4.95 on Royal Mail website

Plus £1.45 postage unless your order is over £50

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A dealer listed a "James Bond Henchmen" card set by Upper Deck for March release.

Anyone else hear of this ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I mentioned it a few posts up. It looks like a traditional release with Upper Deck maybe doing some skipped hits again, which they didn't do in their last Bond.

From what I read there is 1 premium hit and 3 other hits per box. It doesn't actually say what the premium hit is, but the rest can be from autographs or crystal clear plexiglass or acrylate movie posters. You always have to wait and see with UD and its always last minute. Frown I liked their last Bond, so here's hoping autographs are plentiful.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
Does somebody knows if Upper Deck released a binder with the 2019 collection, please ?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Posts: 130 | Location: Bordeaux, France | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piperh33:
Does somebody knows if Upper Deck released a binder with the 2019 collection, please ?

Thanks in advance. Smile

No binder, sorry. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if Bond Heroes and Villains is coming out soon? I thought it was scheduled for July 2020. UD's website seems unhelpful.

OOPs, I meant Bond Villains & Henchmen or whatever they are calling the new one! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ed Webb's July Newsletter states that it is due in the Fall.

regards

John

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks. UD has a habit of playing loose with release dates, but in this climate I get why any card maker might want to delay. Just the absence of any shows and dealers/buyers who may have less liquidity at this time is enough to hold off for awhile.

Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

No binder, sorry. Frown

Oh, too bad. Frown

Thank you Wolfie. Smile

Posts: 130 | Location: Bordeaux, France | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Upper Deck has had a heaping handful of sets that were projected "May 2020 TBD" and then "July 2020 TBD" etc. These go back as far as Chasing Amy. About all you really know is that they are somewhere in production. Any that have autographs have doubtul dates for completion, as the cardmaker usually has separate arrangements with every signer/office/agent. Sketch card sets might be in a little better shape because of fewer possible middlepersons.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
“An Upper Deck release is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.”

-Gandalf

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post