Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond to Upper Deck
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond to Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How come there's a Raven and a Ravenheart, is there some kind of evolution thing going on here ? Wink

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
No one else thinks the design of the portrait-oriented autograph cards in this set looks really cheap and amateurish, then? Just me?

In what way?

I mean they look like what a collector with a reasonable grasp of Microsoft Paint might come up with as a design to get custom cards signed at conventions.

Sure they're professionally printed on decent stock and whatnot, but it's a seriously less-than-pro design.

They look much better in hand. Hard to explain why, but they are really nice when you have them up close. Gold embossing and excellent card stock definitely helps.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
How come there's a Raven and a Ravenheart, is there some kind of evolution thing going on here ? Wink

I'd say there is one of me in every country, but ravenheart might think it's the other way round. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Beckett Media does box busters on Facebook. Here is a link to them opening a box of Upper Deck James Bond. Looks like a nice set

https://www.facebook.com/becke...335518254033931/?t=4

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I can't speak for ePacks because I don't buy them. It is a UD invention and the cards typically come out about 90 days after the traditional release. Some titles have gone straight to ePack as the only release. The only issues I have ever had with the ePacks is that some hits coming in late became exclusive to the ePacks and were never in the boxes and it seemed as though many big hits are held back for the ePack release. Now UD has said all hit ratios are the same. I am not anti-ePack, I just want value in the boxes, if there are boxes.

The skip box formula for hits that has become the norm for UD products is something else. I prefer autograph cards. I buy products with autograph cards. UD puts autograph cards in all their products like Alien and the Marvel titles, but you are not guaranteed an autograph because other hits are manufactured relics, sketches, printing plates, etc. and they rotate the type of hit seeded in the boxes. Most of the time it is hard to pull an autograph, which of course makes them more valuable if you do find one that is not an artist or some designer.

So I can buy a box, get the guaranteed number of hits, and have no autograph. Another collector who wants one of the other kind, like a sketch, may pull an auto and a fake patch and get no sketch at all. So that's what I call skip boxes, when you don't know the type of hits your box may have or the number of hits may rotate around so that some have only one and some have more than one. You can never have equal value, but you should at least have equal distribution in the type so that you know if you are interested in what you could get. At least that's how I look at it.

So this one has 2 autos guaranteed and you will get at least that much. No skipping. Wink

Ahh got it. Somehow I got the impression that you had linked epacks and skip boxes. I guess I can only assume that listed autograph insert rates are from a combination of both physical and epacks.

Thanks! Thumb Up

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
Beckett Media does box busters on Facebook. Here is a link to them opening a box of Upper Deck James Bond. Looks like a nice set

https://www.facebook.com/becke...335518254033931/?t=4

Thanks for that. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Christoph Waltz is returning as Blofeld in Bond 25, which is filming now. See below.

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...ld-for-james-bond-25

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Looks like Christoph Waltz is returning as Blofeld in Bond 25, which is filming now. See below.

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...ld-for-james-bond-25

Fortunately it is a small role. Really did not care for him in the last Bond.

Have to admit in not paying too much attention to the pre-production chatter. Remi Malek would be a nice future sig to look forward to.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how well these UD Bond cards sold? Did they have any positive or negative effect on the RA autograph cards? Is it on hold until ePack release?

We always seem to have such great speculation about new releases right up until the time they hit the market. Then we get maybe a couple of box breaks and silence afterwards. There are many Bond card collectors out there, especially in the UK. Any opinions at this stage?

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

And you cannot count out the gaming OR ePack component that UD brings to the table for the license.

Ed

The game cards are having a sneak preview at Gen Con in Indiana this weekend.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are many Bond card collectors out there, especially in the UK. Any opinions at this stage?

I have collected every Bond set that has come out and i do not have one card from this set, time will tell if i change my mind.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know how well these UD Bond cards sold? Did they have any positive or negative effect on the RA autograph cards? Is it on hold until ePack release?

2 of the three distributors I watch still have some product left and UD is still selling on their site.

Only had interest in the Waltz and so far the numbers on ebay have been pretty low with fairly consistent selling prices. I have not seen the one supposedly numbered to 25 yet.

It could be that UD is holding something back or with this being a popular first time sig it is going straight into collections instead of being sold.

So far these cards seem to be blending in with the RA sale prices with no major differences. Given that this product still has not had time to completely settle, I think that favors RA

In my opinion the RA stuff is a nicer with much more attention to signature space.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Only had interest in the Waltz and so far the numbers on ebay have been pretty low with fairly consistent selling prices. I have not seen the one supposedly numbered to 25 yet.

It could be that UD is holding something back or with this being a popular first time sig it is going straight into collections instead of being sold.

ePacks will follow, so it stands to reason that enough Waltz autos, along with all others, are being held back to cover the stated ratios.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

There are many Bond card collectors out there, especially in the UK. Any opinions at this stage?

I have collected every Bond set that has come out and i do not have one card from this set, time will tell if i change my mind.

I’m in exactly the same boat.

I think there is A LOT to like with this UD release but I just don’t have the urgency to get anything from it. RA already covered near enough everything and did it to a high standard.

I want a Waltz ‘base’ auto but if the UD Alien releases have taught me anything I’ll wait for ePack to flood the market and bring the prices down on everything.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Another factor is availability. I am not 100% sure, but I do not think these new cards are officially distributed here in the UK in the first place, meaning anyone wanting to collect more than a base set will likely have to import from the USA (with all the postage/tax/handling fees).

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I want a Waltz ‘base’ auto but if the UD Alien releases have taught me anything I’ll wait for ePack to flood the market and bring the prices down on everything.

Well, with Waltz rolling out at 1:1245 packs with 4 other class "C" signatures I believe my math puts that at 1 per 28.8 cases.

Add that this is a first autograph card for him and probably the most desired card from the set, I'm not sure how much of a drop you are going to see.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

I'm not sure how much of a drop you are going to see.

e-pack is the big problem here, you just don't know where you are with numbers produced.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

e-pack is the big problem here, you just don't know where you are with numbers produced.

Not sure how that is different from any other release. . . either you can calculate the production based on the card odds or you can't -- ePack doesn't change that.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
As soon as ePacks come out the available supply of the UD cards goes up. A hit like the Waltz autograph card used to establish a reasonably solid price six months after release, as an estimate and not talking about varying factors that might significantly impact the price later on. Now if it is from UD, both sellers and buyers should know that there will be another three month delay before the 2nd wave is available for release to both ePack collectors and a lot of eager card flippers.

So that average price is not firmly established until another six months passes because, even though the ratios may be published, it takes that long for the majority of cards that will be up for individual sale to hit the market and re-set the record. If you buy a big card ahead of the ePacks because its rare, you are taking the chance that when the 2nd wave hits and the supply has increased, the demand will still hold the price at previous highs.

That is the number you don't know about, the dollar number. The fair trading price of what you are buying when the market has not settled because the final supply dump hasn't processed through yet.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ok my math was way off!! C autographs are inserted 1:245 packs....somehow I tossed an extra one in there. Which puts the base Waltz at around 1 in 5.6 cases.

So from a production side it seems like e-packs would be problematic. I mean, these are digital cards that equal produced physical cards. Right? Typically I tend to think of them in terms of autograph or material cards but what about the rest of them? Does UD have to hang on to a physical supply forever? What if some off card becomes valuable 10 years from now and a demand for redemption sky rockets?