Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond to Upper Deck
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond to Upper Deck
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
If this was a previous release, then I am pretty sure it would be considered a good one. Just compare it to the last 2-3 rittenhouse ones and I think it does stand up names wise.

You have Richards, Famke, Lazenby, Cleese, Wright, Waltz, Dench, Newton, Seymour, Regin to name but a few names considered upper end from past releases. In addition the legacy and acetate cards look great.

I think it’s a good first attempt from UD.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And already I see people on ebay asking $ 200 for the Judi Dench gold acetate card, $ 120 for the Jannsen acetate, and $ 200 for the base set of 200 cards !

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you folks noticed that some of the Corinne Clery autographed cards are signed with her character name - Corinne Dufour instead of her real name.

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by space phantom:
I was hoping UD would get new signers such as Dalton, Eva Green or Monica Bellucci,but no such luck.

I am pretty much left to assume that Dalton is not a card signer. I am sure Rittenhouse, Cryptozoic and UD probably all tried to get him on board.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by space phantom:
I was hoping UD would get new signers such as Dalton, Eva Green or Monica Bellucci,but no such luck.

I am pretty much left to assume that Dalton is not a card signer. I am sure Rittenhouse, Cryptozoic and UD probably all tried to get him on board.

Neither Dalton or Green would sign for Penny Dreadful, Bond or anything else that I'm aware of. I think it's a thing with them and forget about it. For some reason I feel that someone could get Bellucci with the right offer. Don't forget that her role was more recent and she probably hasn't been asked too much yet.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Carol Burnett signs autographs all the time, but she sure won't sign Twilight Zone cards. I read that wasn't a pleasant experience for her, making her episode considered by most to be a clunker. Perhaps that's why she refuses TZ.

In that same vein, there's no way Dalton can be happy about his time as Bond. Thanks to the real world issues that existed around the time he played 007, the character was rendered utterly joyless, and his pair of movies, while well made, dreary, angry pieces the likes of which have never worked for Bond, even if that is closer to the way he was written by Ian Fleming. I wonder if Dalton was bummed out or relieved when he was certain he'd no longer be Bond.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Carol Burnett signs autographs all the time, but she sure won't sign Twilight Zone cards. I read that wasn't a pleasant experience for her, making her episode considered by most to be a clunker. Perhaps that's why she refuses TZ.

In that same vein, there's no way Dalton can be happy about his time as Bond. Thanks to the real world issues that existed around the time he played 007, the character was rendered utterly joyless, and his pair of movies, while well made, dreary, angry pieces the likes of which have never worked for Bond, even if that is closer to the way he was written by Ian Fleming. I wonder if Dalton was bummed out or relieved when he was certain he'd no longer be Bond.

Dalton revealed in an interview this year that after the legal wranglings that stalled his third Bond film he actually really wanted to do a third and then move on, and was offered GoldenEye. Cubby Broccoli wanted him signed up for another 4 or 5 films however but Dalton declined, not wanting to tie himself up for even longer.

Dalton has said he "will always BE James Bond" and I think he comes across as immensely proud of the work he did, going back to the books and making the character closer to his literary roots. I don't think the public were ready for Dalton's take though after 12 years of Roger Moore.

As for "well made, dreary, angry pieces"... I think you've pretty much described Daniel Craig's tenure!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Neither Dalton or Green would sign for Penny Dreadful, Bond or anything else that I'm aware of. I think it's a thing with them and forget about it. ....

Timothy Dalton has been known to be happy to sign DVDs for fans when filming on location, but does not do the commercial circuit of photos/autograph for cash.

quote:
Originally posted by X:
... I don't think the public were ready for Dalton's take though after 12 years of Roger Moore.

I'm not sure that's true. The producers had to move forward with a new style/tone and the films were very successful, although not at the levels of the much loved Roger Moore.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
And already I see people on ebay asking $ 200 for the Judi Dench gold acetate card, $ 120 for the Jannsen acetate, and $ 200 for the base set of 200 cards !

The base set will be more expensive due to short printed cards, however I think the 200 card base will be nearer the $50-75 mark in due course.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

The base set will be more expensive due to short printed cards, however I think the 200 card base will be nearer the $50-75 mark in due course.

I do hope so!

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
As for "well made, dreary, angry pieces"... I think you've pretty much described Daniel Craig's tenure!

Big Grin I think Dalton has gotten a generally bad rap for his Bond. Watch his two movies now and they are perfectly serviceable as films of their time. If anything his Bond comes off a bit too smug in parts, but not unlikeable.

Craig's Bond is unlikeable and the recent scripts also make the character pretty much of a failure, which Bond never was. Silva beat him at every turn and the earnestness of his Bond portrayal just makes the impossible escapes and vague madmen plots look even more ridiculous.

Bring back Dalton. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I think they should go in a different direction, and that it's time a Canadian got a shot at it. My vote is for Michael Cera.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are ONLY three new signers from a full bleed could have been, collector point of view, Rick Yune as Zao in Die another day (although he did sign the movie set on release) and the two Spectre stars Christoph Waltz as Blofeld and Andrew Scott as C, I liked this set more than I thought I would, in two boxes getting a Christoph Waltz silver redemption helped and was even very excited (seriously) by card #43 a first Patrick Bachau as Scarpine in A View to a kill character card.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I have to admit the Michael Madsen sigs are some of the nicest I have seen.

You can actually make out his name.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to admit the Michael Madsen sigs are some of the nicest I have seen.

You can actually make out his name.

Dang, your right. . . Might have to pick one of these up. The other Madsen autos look pretty bad in comparison.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In that same vein, there's no way Dalton can be happy about his time as Bond. Thanks to the real world issues that existed around the time he played 007, the character was rendered utterly joyless, and his pair of movies, while well made, dreary, angry pieces the likes of which have never worked for Bond, even if that is closer to the way he was written by Ian Fleming. I wonder if Dalton was bummed out or relieved when he was certain he'd no longer be Bond.[/QUOTE]

Dalton also said in an interview (not sure if it was the same recent one) that he was really happy that the producers went in a new direction with his films and tried to do something different (i.e. more serious) but that it was unfortunate that the moviegoers weren't excited, and seemed to want "more of the same", that is, the same formula of the Roger Moore films.

From what I recall, "The Living Daylights" (1987) was like the 4th highest grossing film worldwide of 1987, but in America it was only # 15 or so for the year.

"Licence to Kill" (1989) was like the 12th highest grossing film worldwide, but it crashed and burned in the U.S., barely making the Top 40 !

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bad news, Grace Jones has dropped out of her cameo in Bond 25 because the role wasn't big enough.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dalton also said in an interview (not sure if it was the same recent one) that he was really happy that the producers went in a new direction with his films and tried to do something different (i.e. more serious) but that it was unfortunate that the moviegoers weren't excited, and seemed to want "more of the same", that is, the same formula of the Roger Moore films.

From what I recall, "The Living Daylights" (1987) was like the 4th highest grossing film worldwide of 1987, but in America it was only # 15 or so for the year.

"Licence to Kill" (1989) was like the 12th highest grossing film worldwide, but it crashed and burned in the U.S., barely making the Top 40 !

Another thing to consider is just plain ol Bond burn out. In the first 27 years audiences were getting a James Bond film at an average of 1 every 1.7 years. Even I remember thinking back in the 80's why don't they slow the pace of releases down a bit? I think the 6 year break between Licence to Kill and Golden Eye was a good thing.

When Bond 25 is released there will only have been 9 Bond films in the last 30 years.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Another thing to consider is just plain ol Bond burn out. In the first 27 years audiences were getting a James Bond film at an average of 1 every 1.7 years. Even I remember thinking back in the 80's why don't they slow the pace of releases down a bit? I think the 6 year break between Licence to Kill and Golden Eye was a good thing.

When Bond 25 is released there will only have been 9 Bond films in the last 30 years.

Look at Skyfall, in UK alone one of the biggest ever box office takes of all time, Spectre must have done well to, I know this because I worked next to a cinema in 2015 and the car park was only full twice, Spectre + 50 shades of grey.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
Look at Skyfall, in UK alone one of the biggest ever box office takes of all time, Spectre must have done well to, I know this because I worked next to a cinema in 2015 and the car park was only full twice, Spectre + 50 shades of grey.

Supposedly when you adjust for ticket inflation Thunderball and Goldfinger did better than Skyfall but then again Moonraker and Die Another Day are in the top ten as well. I really didn't care for either one of those.

For me the Craig bond films are still the best. Although I found Spectre to be a bit underwhelming.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:

Supposedly when you adjust for ticket inflation Thunderball and Goldfinger did better than Skyfall but then again Moonraker and Die Another Day are in the top ten as well. I really didn't care for either one of those.

For me the Craig bond films are still the best. Although I found Spectre to be a bit underwhelming.

Same with theme tunes, all those wonderful songs (You only live twice, Goldfinger, Live and let die, The spy who loved me, A view to a kill) and the first Bond song to reach #1 in the charts was the Sam Smith Spectre effort just because it was Sam Smith, very underwhelming.

Ticket inflation didn't really come into account when you see your favourite movie franchise killing it in UK alone Wink