Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond to Upper Deck
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond to Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
“An Upper Deck release is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.”

-Gandalf

No wonder LOTR went to Topps! Smile

Posts: 1641 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
quote:
“An Upper Deck release is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.”

-Gandalf

No wonder LOTR went to Topps! Smile

Haha! Yeah, even his X-Men card was a Topps product.

Posts: 3297 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The new James Bond as well as Chasing Amy (surprise! surprise!) has been bumped back again.

They were on an August 28th date but now it just says Sept/Oct TBD

Posts: 3297 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new James Bond as well as Chasing Amy (surprise! surprise!) has been bumped back again.

They (along with Alien 3 and X-Files) are now sitting with a 12/31/20 placeholder release date with my supplier. Alien 3 is approaching 2 years since solicitation.

I somehow imagine Chasing Amy and Alien 3 orders were light, and they don't know what to do with them. Likely a straight to ePack maybe? If the autos exist, they need to recoup something from them.

Bond and X-Files are more problematic as they probably have real money tied up in those. But the previous sets were only OK sellers, so I'm not sure what they were expecting?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 4709 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:

They (along with Alien 3 and X-Files) are now sitting with a 12/31/20 placeholder release date with my supplier. Alien 3 is approaching 2 years since solicitation.

I somehow imagine Chasing Amy and Alien 3 orders were light, and they don't know what to do with them. Likely a straight to ePack maybe? If the autos exist, they need to recoup something from them.

Bond and X-Files are more problematic as they probably have real money tied up in those. But the previous sets were only OK sellers, so I'm not sure what they were expecting?

Ed

That is a great question -- what are they expecting? I just did some looking at the trade marketplace on ePack -- certainly not scientific in any sense of the word, but the James Bond set seems to have sold A LOT of ePacks, and Clerks seems to be right up there too. Based on available cards in the marketplace they seem to have sold WAY better than Marvel sets like Ant Man and the Wasp and Defenders (I thought Wasp would have been much higher since it sold out). I didn't look at any other Marvel sets.

I also don't see a lot of the Bond boxes getting discounted. I don't remember if Clerks were discounted, I can't really even find them for sale anymore. . .

I'm guessing that comparatively these didn't move as many physical boxes, and I have no idea how much UD is sitting on, but they definitely seem to have held their own on ePack -- and as Ed asks what were they expecting?

It bums me out to see these get pushed back over and over. . . I'm really starting to miss variety in cards. . . A HUGE percentage of releases fall in to a small number of titles/categories. I'm missing the days of tons of easily accessible sketch packs, varieties of titles from companies, varieties of manufacturers, etc. Thankfully this is starting to improve in some areas. . . but for me it's gotten hard to find things to spend money on. I've spent a lot of time lately scouring the web for sellers selling old product. It's tough -- I haven't had much luck.

Posts: 4557 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
ePacks are an invention of UD. My impression, just going by forum posts I've seen, is that many experienced card collectors simply don't want to get caught up in that whole system of buying and retrieving cards, while a lot of other collectors are still in the basic question stage and just don't know what it is.

Since UD is holding back a good percentage/portion of their main title cards to at least fund the trailing ePack release date, I don't quite get how it works to their advantage. If a card product/set is a good seller, wouldn't it have been better to have more product to sell traditionally? If the first traditional release has little demand, how will it do any better in ePacks?

I don't know what UD expects, but these titles had problems long before COVID. Alien3 was hated by many Alien fans, including me. Clerks and Chasing Amy are both aimed at only a small section of card buyers. X-Files has been well covered.

I thought the first UD Bond were pretty good, but most long time Bond card collectors rightly found the autographs inferior to the previous RA cards. UD needs to produce new Bond movies and new signers to really make that title work for them. That schedule COVID has effected since the film won't come out until 2021.

While RA and Topps have forged ahead, UD looks to be stuck with many titles having too narrow market demand and a broader title that can't get started.

Posts: 7918 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have been opening a free Epack for some months and today I got the last card I needed to complete a 200 card set (Ice Hockey as I did not like the other free packs). Not every card was found in my free packs as I received quite a few through trades that were instigated by others. Not sure what to do next but I doubt very much that I will purchase them as I think they might be too expensive to ship but then again I don't understand the charges and fees.

regards

John

Posts: 1641 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As a point of reference . . . based on the number of cards showing up in the ePack marketplace as well as the low end chase on COMC the 2019 James Bond Collection set sold over 4000 boxes on ePack.

The total number of boxes sold is definitely higher than that as the number of cards on ePack that are locked or have already been shipped are no longer showing up in the marketplace.

I have no idea how many boxes were sold through traditional channels, but 4000 boxes sold just on ePack seems really healthy to me -- again I have no idea what UD was expecting.

Also I don't think this set has ever gone on sale on ePack.

Posts: 4557 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post