Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twilight
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Wow Nat - I don't see Bella like that at all. Yes she's always getting into trouble, but I don't see her as weak or a damsel in distress. She is after all, just a normal teenage girl suddenly thrown into a world inhabited by vampires and werewolves. I think that alone would cause for some poor decision making *lol*

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nat
posted Hide Post
Bella's always come across like that to me, might be because I read so many books and therefore my opinion of her is based in comparison to other protagonists. As someone who admires strong lead women, Bella irks me at times. I do adore the books because I think Meyer has created a unique vampire universe, just when I thought no one else could, but I do have my criticisms (as I do with every thing I love).

I refer more to Bella's personality and ambitions. I don't like how she apparently can't live without Edward, the (imo almost suicidal) 'depression' she falls into when he's gone, or the way she near faints when he kisses her. I think she does alot of brave things, things normal people wouldn't do, however she ends up needing Edward or Jacob to save her. I'm not sure of any interests she actually has besides Edward (and cliff-diving, which she has to be rescucitated from, and motorbike riding, which she falls off and Jacob rushes to fawn over her). When Edward invites her to play baseball, all she thinks about is how good-looking he is and she can't refuse, and the main thing I dislike is her constant thinking of "I'm not good enough for Edward." The message I get is that this "love at first sight" situation is based on looks (or smell in Edward's case Wink) and there's nothing more to it. I would just like to see Bella define her life around something other than Edward. I think she is a weak heroine, I want to see her stand on her own two feet.

Everyone reads characters differently, my aunty reads Bella the way I do whereas my sister gets something else. Btw this is no means an attack on the book, cause it does provide an entertaining story which is why I read in the first place, just explaining why I view Bella as a weak protagonist. Sorry if I went off-topic, not much card news atm so I hope no one minds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nat,

Posts: 169 | Location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I had posted this in my 2008 SDCC Promo thread, but thought that I would post it here in case no one saw it in the promo thread - there are 4 promo cards for Twilight being distributed at SDCC...

Here is one of the 4 cards:

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see no picture??

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I am using an image from Inkworks website. Maybe their site is busy. Youl can go directly to their Comic-Con page at the following link to see it directly:

Inkworks Comic Con Page

You can also right click on the box where the picture should be showing and click on "Show Picture", at least through Internet Explorer.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nat
posted Hide Post
It shows up for me. Does this work?

Posts: 169 | Location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Got it, thanks! Smile Must go add it to my want list lol.

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Here is a scan of all 4-promo cards:

Mike.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow people don't waste time.. The 4 card uncut sheet sold for 50.00 BIN and the single cards are going for 20.00 a set Roll Eyes

Hopefully they come down before the set is released or I'll be passing on this one also Shake Head..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Sigh - I'll be passing - That dude playing Edward just doesn't do it for me. I was dubious when I saw Bella - but now seeing the others, I think I'll go back to my books Smile I'm almost done the 3rd one and am getting ready for the next release!

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Streich:
Wow people don't waste time.. The 4 card uncut sheet sold for 50.00 BIN and the single cards are going for 20.00 a set Roll Eyes

Big Grin You can't believe these people are out there but they are and they fall for this every year. Shake Head

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
soooo wolfie i guess i shouldn't pay those prices
just how limited is the uncut sheet
i will need both the uncut and regular version
can someone help

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't see what's wrong if people have the extra money to spend to get something a little quicker than they'd normally be able to. Yes, the price could maybe go down, and probably will, if past experience is nything to go by. But I personally would spend a little extra if it was something I really liked and wanted right away, if I had the extra funds to do it. *shrug* People get impatient. Wink

I did read in a couple places that the uncut sheet was limited to around 1300 pieces, not sure how true this is. Still, 1300 is a fair amount, so the price will probably go down for those people who can't afford the $50. Smile

Edit to add: Right after I posted this, I was scouring eBay and found one for $19.99, which I think is pretty reasonable. So there is hope, never fear!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the movie will interest be so I probably will wait and see if there is a stewart auto or Piecework and go for those Big Grin

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gregore
posted Hide Post
This could be huge - a film (and card set) that will attract boiz and grrls. I hope this pans out. It could be a shot in the arm the hobby needs.

Posts: 89 | Location: Earth - I'm told | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregore:
This could be huge - a film (and card set) that will attract boiz and grrls. I hope this pans out. It could be a shot in the arm the hobby needs.

Agreed. Especially if they really come through with a major auto line-up. Smile Even if the autos don't pan out though, I imagine there will be a lot of people chasing the pieceworks cards from the two main case members. I can;t even remotely afford it, but I think I'll be trying to get myself a case, and I NEVER collect movie sets. Ever.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
"It's like 'Harry Potter' plus romance plus good-looking people."

And it has a star actress who's made up to look vaguely like an older Hermione Granger, fawning over Cedric Diggory. Wink

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Got my promos for 4.00 shipped.. Here is front and back..

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by damien:
soooo wolfie i guess i shouldn't pay those prices
just how limited is the uncut sheet
i will need both the uncut and regular version
can someone help

I was told how many of the uncut sheets there were... I want to say 1300 but I'm not sure if that is correct (bad memory). It might be less than that. The uncut sheets were tough to get and I'm guessing most of the people that have them are Twilight fans and will keep them. There probably won't be too many uncut sheets hitting the market. The card sets were fairly easy to come by.

Laura

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anjee
posted Hide Post
i am really looking forward to this set! it comes out right around my bday so hopefully i will scam some friends/family into getting me boxes... or a case Smile.

i am a big fan of the book series (even though i agree with nat about bella being a weak heroine). the world that meyer has built is intriguing even if her main characters are fairly one-dimensional. i find it interesting that the secondary cast has so much more depth than the main two.

Posts: 310 | Location: madison,wi | Registered: January 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post