Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twilight
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of samauto
posted Hide Post
A couple of single Twilight Packs have sold for AUD$20 each pack on ebay lately..

Pete.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm HORRIFIED! Eek

That I didn't buy a ton of Twilight boxes, knowing this would happen.
Wink

Posts: 20 | Location: PNW | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So I just noticed something, and I apologize if it's been mentioned already, but I don't remember seeing it. Did anyone notice that the Hot Topic base cards have a different texture than the regular hobby cards? They're "shinier", for lack of a better word. I was trying to put a base set together using packs from both when I noticed the difference. Very strange.

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
Ultimately, it is a good thing. Maybe some of these young girls (and boys) will find other sets they're interested in and stick with the hobby.

Is it? If they think all sets cost $50 (more than a box) and chase sets at $70 it may be that they never look at cards again!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it? If they think all sets cost $50 (more than a box) and chase sets at $70 it may be that they never look at cards again!

Yeah, I didn't think about it like that. Also, the only retail store that I've seen the cards at is Hot Topic. I don't think I've ever seen any other cards there, so the new collectors might not be aware of other cards. Hopefully, they'll look for the cards at Wal-Mart or Target and see something else they would like.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
What does one have to do with the other?

When several sets are released simultaneously, everyone is forced to make a choice, do I buy product A or product B. If a person has interest in both items and as in this case the autographs fall through , well I think the majority of buyers will go with the product that gives them more bang for their buck.

The cost of a Bond box doesn't surprise me as most recent releases sell for cost or near cost, it's the nature of the our hobby and something I mentioned long ago when incentives first came into being.

I also find it irrelevant that some of your Bond boxes, "were really disappointing." Since when is every box in any product a winner? I've seen numerous box breakdowns on this board where someone had what I thought were nice cards, only for them to complain about what they got. This is a purely subjective statement on your part.

I agree wholeheartedly with your final statement and I'm sure there will still be buyers for the "Twilight" product, but I think that the market for this set will be greatly diminished due to a lack of autographs in this set.

I just hope that Inkworks will be able to deliver on the autographs for, "The Spirit", as that has the potential to be a monster set.

Killing some time at work and found this old thread.
Boy did I miss the boat on both the Twilight set and The Spirit set. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Arvin Sloane,

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well there's still time on the Twilight cards! lol While they've leveled off a lot, they're still quite up there in price and have held their own. I know there's little love on this forum for the New Moon & Eclipse cards but there's no denying they sell well both at retail and secondary market. I'm STILL selling New Moon chase cards on a daily basis out of my ebay store! lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just hope that Inkworks will be able to deliver on the autographs for, "The Spirit", as that has the potential to be a monster set.

Boy did I miss the boat on both the Twilight set and The Spirit set. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, it all depends on how you look at it.

The original Twilight set went through the roof because of the tweener fans, not because the contents of the cards were worth the money. It was vastly overpriced, but it didn't matter to mostly non-card collectors, and it still doesn't.

And the Spirit set, although the design was pretty ugly, still included autographs from nearly every major actor in the film and sketches from some very well known artists. The movie stunk and Inkworks was through regardless, so it was all just dumped.

See your logic was sound, but things don't work out logically. Feel better? Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Not necessarily, it all depends on how you look at it.

The original Twilight set went through the roof because of the tweener fans, not because the contents of the cards were worth the money. It was vastly overpriced, but it didn't matter to mostly non-card collectors, and it still doesn't.

And the Spirit set, although the design was pretty ugly, still included autographs from nearly every major actor in the film and sketches from some very well known artists. The movie stunk and Inkworks was through regardless, so it was all just dumped.

See your logic was sound, but things don't work out logically. Feel better? Big Grin[/QUOTE]
It always comes down to money. As I mentioned way back when, the Bond was a safe play. Having limited resources led me to pick the Bond as it was a known entity. I had also stopped doing shows so I wasn't getting feedback from people like I had in the past. As the saying goes, "Knowledge is power."

The Spirit set basically crashed due to the movie being terrible. I tried watching it the other night and turned it off after 5 minutes. As you say, Inkworks loaded that set up with some quality inserts, but even that couldn't save it.

Do I feel better? Well to be completely honest, I wasn't feeling down, just amused at my stupidity.

This was about the third time I missed the boat on an item. The first time was not buying Topps' original LOTR product, I went with, you guessed it James Bond. The second time I bought light on Serenity and heavy on either some Charmed or Buffy product, I don't recall exactly which one.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I watched the spirit a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it (different stokes) although i hated the multiple bald bloke,i had had a box of the cards just before christmas and had a gabriel macht auto redempion which cannot be redeemed,
the only film i can think of in recent years i couldn t continue to watch after 15 (ish) mins was the stepford wives with nicole kidman.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post