Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    hammer horror 2 strictly ink
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hammer horror 2 strictly ink
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

This is what has killed a Space 1999 set as well. Without images of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain you don't have much of a set. And they won't approve their image to be used. Or that was the story last time a set was talked about.

Ed

There is a Space 1999 set, was that not licensed?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

This is what has killed a Space 1999 set as well. Without images of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain you don't have much of a set. And they won't approve their image to be used. Or that was the story last time a set was talked about.

Ed

There is a Space 1999 set, was that not licensed?

Yes, there is the old set.

I was talking about modern sets. I belive Cards Inc. tried to put one together a few years back and ran into image problems.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
The people who licensed the hammer cards are not in fact Hammer, they are just a company that is meant to represents Hammer, and it seems like they have not done the best job in the world on that score. The image rights to the films are very very difficult, needing a great deal of approval, and some actors have control over there images and how they are used including Lee in some of his pictures. That means he or his representative's can pull any item not authorized by him/them.

Lee did NOT authorize any sketch cards in the set, and he is not the only one. Sad for the fans, but really something that should have been taken care of at a much earlier stage. In fact it is more than a little harsh to only chase the resellers. I wonder if that has anything to do with the delay..

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the company who licences Hammer Films productions:

http://www.coolabi.com/properties/ref:P470627F65C211

They are mentioned on Strictly Inks Hammer page, looks pukka enough to me. I don't know about individual actors though. It would be odd in my opinion to have a licence for a film, brand or product and not be able to use images from said property.

Posts: 277 | Location: Hell, England | Registered: December 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
The people who licensed the hammer cards are not in fact Hammer, they are just a company that is meant to represents Hammer, and it seems like they have not done the best job in the world on that score. The image rights to the films are very very difficult, needing a great deal of approval, and some actors have control over there images and how they are used including Lee in some of his pictures. That means he or his representative's can pull any item not authorized by him/them.

Lee did NOT authorize any sketch cards in the set, and he is not the only one. Sad for the fans, but really something that should have been taken care of at a much earlier stage. In fact it is more than a little harsh to only chase the resellers. I wonder if that has anything to do with the delay..

I don't blame Mr. Lee or his representative in pulling the auctions if indeed his image wasn't used with permission. I just wished we could have communicated with the agent in charge as not all of us (those of us not in the film business) would know exactly what rights of publicity is.(i had to ask a few friends of mine what that was. *LOL*). We've asked ebay what to do now that we've tried to contact the agent and haven't gotten a reply. My boss is a little bit mad because our compliance is medium now instead of high with ebay due to this situation & we are trying in good faith to open communications. I don't think we should have gotten penalized for selling something someone had issues with that we weren't even aware of.
Wow I'm just now rereading this and I sound whiny.sorry about that guys.

Posts: 6 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb:
It would be odd in my opinion to have a licence for a film, brand or product and not be able to use images from said property.

It is odd but there's a long history behind it. The old Close Encounters set comes to mind for me. If you flip through the set there's not a single card depicting the film's main (human) star - Richard Dreyfuss. More recently, I believe image permissions from one of the main actresses in Charmed held those up for some time.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
What surprises me is how I keep reading time and time again about problems with copyrights or images in Strictly Ink products.

I'm not saying that SI is at fault because I don't know that, but obviously it keeps getting into legal issues when proper due diligence should avoid these situations. SI just went through the Harryhausen thing and I'm not sure how that one turned out. To have a similar situation come up with Christopher Lee seems silly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe this is the company who licences Hammer Films productions:

http://www.coolabi.com/properties/ref:P470627F65C211

They are mentioned on Strictly Inks Hammer page, looks pukka enough to me. I don't know about individual actors though. It would be odd in my opinion to have a licence for a film, brand or product and not be able to use images from said property.

IIRC although copyright law here (UK) is generally similar to that in the US, there are differences especially in actor's image rights. I also guess alot also depends on contracts which were signed before most Cardtalkers were born.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
What surprises me is how I keep reading time and time again about problems with copyrights or images in Strictly Ink products.

I'm not saying that SI is at fault because I don't know that, but obviously it keeps getting into legal issues when proper due diligence should avoid these situations. SI just went through the Harryhausen thing and I'm not sure how that one turned out. To have a similar situation come up with Christopher Lee seems silly.

I don't think they care about it. They probably work on the assumption that nobody will take them to court. As it happens the only people hurt are those trying to sell on secondary market.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Yes the agency is coolabie, I wasn't going to name them but seeing as someone else already has I see no harm in doing so now. They are the representatives for Hammer and they should have been the ones to seek authorization from hammer for every image used in the card sets.

Someone used the words Due Diligence in this thread, that's a word that many licensing agency don't seem to understand. You may find it interesting that on the first Hammer set the coolabie name never appeared on the SI website, but following research for an article that we decided not to push forward on it subsequently appeared very prominently.

I have in the past been in touch with coolabie in the past and personally after that I cant say this situation comes as a surprise. Perhaps all the disgruntled customers should contact coolabie about the situation I mean they are the ones who apparently licensed and authorized every image and sketch card... My understanding is that they would be jointly liable for any copyright in infringement that sellers have been intentionally penalized for.

Clearly the cards were bought in good faith, One would assume that all approval had been sought and authorized... I mean who would release a card set without that right?

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I am staring to think that there is more to this than meets the eye. Since this news broke the wesite has removed the sell sheet and news regarding the imminent release of this set is very sparce, has anyone heard anything? Nothing has been posted anywhere for nearly a fortnight now, I know Strictly Ink track record for releasing sets on time is pretty poor but all the same something seems amis to me.

Posts: 277 | Location: Hell, England | Registered: December 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
It should be out end of September now so only 3 months late Frown I'm still really looking forward to this one, as far as I'm aware this is the first set that SI have done where they've included duel autos and signed costume cards so should be interesting Thumb Up

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmm, I am staring to think that there is more to this than meets the eye. Since this news broke the wesite has removed the sell sheet and news regarding the imminent release of this set is very sparce, has anyone heard anything? Nothing has been posted anywhere for nearly a fortnight now, I know Strictly Ink track record for releasing sets on time is pretty poor but all the same something seems amis to me.

I am loving the new disclaimer which clearly was not written by a native English speaker.. That clears it all up then... aside from ebay still pulling listings that is...

posted Hide Post
Strangely enough the website now has the digital sell sheet back up on the main page, but with alterations. How odd.

I just double checked and Sketch artists are no longer mentioned and there are 4 card changes, not very amusing.

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone! Thanks for making this our most successful SOLD OUT product ever!
Look out for the fabulous website and Sketches samples from our 18 sketchers and
much more over the coming days. Less than 4 weeks to release and the wait was worth it!

Everything has to be Hammer approved so a few delays have occurred.

Here's the sketchers list and the auto list for the set.
Amy Pronovost
Andrew Fry
Chris Henderson
Clay McCormack
Don Pedocini, Jr.
Gary Ochiltree
Rich Molinelli
Jason Davies
Potratz & Hai
Jay Pangan
Jessica Hickman
John Gordon
Katie Cook
Kevin Graham
Neil Volkes
Nick Neocleous
Robert Aragon
Robert Forest
Robert Hack
Ryan Orosco
Sarah Lyons
Sarah Wilkinson plus 4 to be announced on arrival.

autographs

Barbara Shelley
Bernard Cribbins
Caroline Munro
Dave Prowse
Ingrid PItt
Jacqueline Pearce
Jenny Hanley
Julian Glover
Madeline Smith
Martine Beswicke
Sheila Steafel
Valerie Leon

two double signed cards
1 costume/signed card
1 costume cards
2 5 card case sets
6 promos
1 9 card sub set

checklist soon - thanks

Posts: 170 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Barrie, any clues as to who the duel signers are??

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for posting an update here Barrie. I'm definitely looking forward to receiving this release. Should be fun.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's looking good. Hope the sketches match the quality of first release.

Any news on Odds of finding Double autos?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barrie Roness:
Everything has to be Hammer approved so a few delays have occurred.

Well let's hope you do a better job than with Harryhausen.

Another minor thing that has been niggling me, in your first paragraph you state 18 artists then you go on to list 22 or is the 22 including the 4 to be announced on arrival?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaseb,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barrie has updated his site to state a mid-October release.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post