Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones- Valyrian Steel Set in August
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones- Valyrian Steel Set in August
 Login/Join

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Not exactly info we already know. There are at least two glaring errors on the product page and if RA is reading, they should fix it fast because its a hoot.

Among the signers listed it includes:

The Waif (played by Aidan Gillen)
Night King (played by Carice Van Houten)

Not only the wrong actors, but the wrong genders.

Look fast at the page because someone's head should roll GoT style for such incompetence. Big Grin

Or maybe Aiden and Carice are more versatile than we thought Wink

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
Or maybe Aiden and Carice are more versatile than we thought Wink

Good one. Big Grin

They fixed it a little while ago. Who says RA doesn't pay attention to collectors? Now if they only had proofreaders. Wink

There is a new addition to the signer list, Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister. That makes 22 autograph cards so far, including the duals. The design is a bit different, but it looks like they are all on regular card stock, not metal.

I was wondering if they would be signed metal cards. Doesn't seem so.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With Game of Thrones I can't help but think that if Rittenhouse had known Emilia Clarke was never going to sign again they would've had her sign oh about 10,000 cards in about 10 different designs that one chance they had with her in the beginning. Big Grin

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
With Game of Thrones I can't help but think that if Rittenhouse had known Emilia Clarke was never going to sign again they would've had her sign oh about 10,000 cards in about 10 different designs that one chance they had with her in the beginning. Big Grin

Oh yeah, I really can't figure out what goes on in the card market today. Clarke has only Season 1 and Season 2 autographs, one FB and one bordered. It doesn't look like RA is holding back any signatures from her for other sets if they didn't put it in Valyrian. This could be wrong, but she is not the only GoT actor who only did 2 styles so far. She is the biggest star.

As an actress she is also doing movies and looks to have a career beyond GoT.

Now I'm sure that 40 years from now she could be seating in a VFW hall signing GoT 8x10s at $20 a pop like many other actors we could name who never did autographs until the work dried up, but that is not now. Right now, I don't know why the price of her 2 autograph cards, in character and licensed, aren't going through the roof.

At least on a Daisy Ridley level, who has more limited cards, but a greater number of different cards available. I think the Clarke autograph cards have much more potential to rise than the Ridleys, that are coming out maxed to the top already.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll have those duals please.

Not bothered about the other two styles.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On facebook Rittenhouse announced a Jason Momoa auto/relic card as a recent addition...

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Can they please just get Liam Cunningham to sign?!? Wink

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
On facebook Rittenhouse announced a Jason Momoa auto/relic card as a recent addition...

That looks like a mounted cut. See how the lines disappear under the box border at the bottom and the top. Out of the box, but not over the card surface.

Could also be a mock up of the card. Can't assume anything with these images.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched the show, I did pick up 2 cases of season 5 & got lucky...2 Chaplin Autos & a Sketch were the Big Hits.

This set has me Thinking.....

4 Cards per Pack....
1 Big Hit, 2 Metal Cards & 1 tech card.

that's 40 Metal Cards per case out of 100 cards.

3 cases to build one set.....w/ Luck.

David Debois CHARACTER SKETCH CARDS!

or you can get a Scenic Sketch Card....
Character Sketch Cards will go Insane regardless of how many were made.....

you know all the other hits...including the GOLD parallel Base Cards...

the 10 Case Incentive is a Complete Set of 100 PLATINUM EDITION Parallel Base Metal Card Set.

1 Metal Base Set, 1 Gold Parallel Base Set & the 10 Case Incentive Set.....Completing a Master Set will be Expensive.

I haven't decided on this yet..... I may get some.... I don't know.......

if they do this for Classic Trek , I'm In.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:

4 Cards per Pack....

3 Packs per Box, 20 Boxes per Case

so 6 Metal Cards per Box, 120 per Case

Wink

Posts: 18 | Location: Germany | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
In the solicitation sheet I received in the mail, there was one additional piece of good news:

At Least 2 Autographs Per Box

So the manufactured hits will not be overwhelming in number.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juergen:
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:

4 Cards per Pack....

3 Packs per Box, 20 Boxes per Case

so 6 Metal Cards per Box, 120 per Case

Wink

Sorry, I was confused by the Parallel Gold Metal ... Very Long day

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So can anyone figure out exactly what the tech cards are supposed to be and how many there are?

At one per pack, 20 per case, these are going to be much harder to complete the 100 card set.

I get the impression we are talking about the gold parallel set. But then what are the laser cut cards and the lenticular cards? Are they inserts? How many of them are there to complete?

With the other types of tech cards in the mix, it will take 6 - 8 cases to complete the 100 card gold parallel set by my estimate.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just curious here, do you think that Rittenhouse will keep making Game of Thrones cards once the show is done next year or will 2018 be it? Part of me thinks they will as it seems to be one of their best sellers and plus, there's still more actors for them to try and chase down (like Diana Rigg and Liam Cunningham for starters). The other part of me thinks they may quit because all shows lose interest once they're done and let's face it, they got most of the major characters to sign multiple times already. If the other actors have not agreed to sign by now then who's to say they ever will? And then where is Rittenhouse to go to try to keep it fresh? If I had to guess I would go with them keeping the license for a bit longer, maybe a year or two after the end of the show and see where the popularity stands then. Plus there's always the talk of spinoffs/prequels/sequels to it. Thoughts?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
there are stirrings about a Follow-up series..... No Idea if it's the Creator or HBO pushing it......

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious here, do you think that Rittenhouse will keep making Game of Thrones cards once the show is done next year or will 2018 be it?

I would prefer that they shut it down after they make the set for the final season. I'm not talking about any offshoots that may be produced using certain characters or a prequel storyline. Those would be separate shows. I mean when GoT wraps up under that title, we should have the final set and whatever or whoever wasn't on the cards is just not done.

The problem that RA has, and the reason why they might not want to let GoT go, is that they have so few card licenses left. If they don't pick up a substitute title or if they have to wait for another series to debut, is it better to stay idle with nothing coming in or is it better to make another GoT recap set that no one really needs?

If that becomes the choice, I think we will see GoT expansions or exclusives or ultimates or anthologies or whatever name sounds good enough to continue the cards after the fat lady has sung and everybody should just go home. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious here, do you think that Rittenhouse will keep making Game of Thrones cards once the show is done next year or will 2018 be it? ... Thoughts?

They have been making numerous Star Trek sets for years after those shows finished, so I guess while people still want the cards RA will keep making them.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Just curious here, do you think that Rittenhouse will keep making Game of Thrones cards once the show is done next year or will 2018 be it? ... Thoughts?

They have been making numerous Star Trek sets for years after those shows finished, so I guess while people still want the cards RA will keep making them.

Of course you are correct, if the demand is there they will make it. I'm just not sure comparing GoT to Star Trek works as well as you might think. Comparing it to Lost might be a little closer in general nature.

Star Trek is sci-fi, always a good genre for cards, and it spawned a whole universe of other titles that frequently crossed over characters and plots with each other. There is less of a problem continuing cards because Star Trek has continued in some form or another all these years.

GoT is more like Lord of the Rings, its fantasy. Lost turned out to be fantasy. I mean I don't really know what Lost was at the end, but it wasn't reality and it wasn't science fiction, so I'll call it fantasy. It was a mess in any genre.

Game of Thrones is a self contained story, much like Lost was supposed to be. When GoT wraps up in 2018 we are supposed to have an ending. Most of the characters will undoubtedly be dead, some will live and go off to their respective kingdoms. Sure there can and probably will be other related series, but that will be a different story and who knows if it has the popularity of GoT.

Remember we would have been watching it for 7 - 8 years at that point and its not something brand new anymore. Subsequent shows in the same world will not seem brand new anymore. Walking Dead is getting so old, its no surprise that Fear the Walking Dead did not take off in the same way. Its not fresh.

Like Lost, once the story finishes many GoT fans will lose interest in getting tied down to another extended story. Lost had an awful ending that made fans feel cheated, so that ruined the demand totally for that title.

I think GoT will end more satisfyingly. I hope it will please most people, but who can predict anything. With a good ending people will be satisfied and move on. With a bad ending people will try to forget the whole thing, as they did with Lost. Lost had some really nice cards with a good many autographs. How many card collectors do you hear talking about those sets now?

Don't get me wrong, the GoT cards should remain very popular and highly collectible. Many of the young stars seem to be getting a lot of movie work and the value of the autographs might actually have some place to go up. I think its a franchise title, just not like Star Trek or Star Wars or even Bond, where new blood was always coming in with every new installment. Don't forget that Star Wars got stagnant when there was only the original trilogy, until it opened up by tacking on a new beginning and now ending for what has turned out to be a running story over 3 trilogies plus extra added films.

GoT as a series has already done multiple repeat autographs on most of the actors, including all of the stars. Clarke could do more. We are missing 3 fairly important actors, but that's about it. I don't know how many big names can be ended as new actors in the final season, when we are basically trying to just tie all the existing characters up to meet their fates.

As it is Valyrian Steel has been shoehorned in as a high end, but ultimately unnecessary recap set. Again, I'm not saying this is bad. More cards are always good and more dual autographs are great. I'm just saying that there is going to be very little not already done with GoT cards by the time it finishes up. I happen to love the show and I have made it my one sustaining card title, but I have no desire to see new releases on these same 7 seasons for the next ten years. That's just MHO and sorry for the lengthy post. Smile

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Raven I agree with almost all of your post. I believe a recap set is a perfect way to finish off the series which is why this should of come out next year after season 8. Guessing they will attempt another recap set after season 8 or at least make an update/expansion set to build off of this one.
Pretty sure I am going to at least go after the base set and hope for just an update/expansion set to cap it off next year.

With my luck there will be another high end set recapping the entire series next year Frown

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Raven I agree with almost all of your post. I believe a recap set is a perfect way to finish off the series which is why this should of come out next year after season 8. Guessing they will attempt another recap set after season 8 or at least make an update/expansion set to build off of this one. Frown

Yes, would have made perfect sense to have Valyrian Steel come out in early in 2019 after the whole thing was over.

But don't forget what the producers also did to throw off this schedule. Season 7 is the last one, but they have divided Season 7 into 2 parts. We are watching the first part now, next year we get to see the second part and end it. We are effectively getting a Season 8, only its not being called that. Worse yet, the number of episodes for Season 7 was not significantly expanded, so we are getting a shortened Part 1 and Part 2.

So what do you think RA will do with the cards come next year? Will it wait to have both Part 1 and Part 2 aired and do a full Season 7 at the end of 2018? Or will we get two separate sets for Season 7, like it was handled for the Walking Dead when that show split seasons.

Assuming that, let's say GoT Season 7 Part 1 around May 2018, followed by Season 7 Part 2 later in 2018 or even early in 2019? And then of course we can still get the Complete Game of Thrones in late 2019 or early 2020? May I be the first to suggest the title, GoT: Game Over. Big Grin

RA has a few options to choose from as far as scheduling future GoT releases and I think the overriding factor for them, not considering the general demand issue, will be how many signed cards they have either stockpiled already or expect to be able to add new to that stockpile. Stepping up sketch production would also work, but seems unlikely. They can only make the products if they have a enough real hits to seed into them. RA should not believe for a minute that fake pins and coins are going to make up for any shortfall. The prospect of pulling a manufactured relic is a turn off, not a inducement to buy boxes. Mad