Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones- Valyrian Steel Set in August
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones- Valyrian Steel Set in August
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah you could be right, but then why put it up at all if you are just changing the sub-title and the images only repeat themselves. I mean just say 100 gold parallel cards and save the space or really scan them as you did the regular metal cards so that we can see the difference.

My only other thought is that the gold parallels may be numbered in gold on the back, but we can't see it from a front only scan.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
The gold parallels in the regular season sets have gold numbers on the back(as well as gold on the front), so it might be the only thing different with these for the backs.

I've done a little evilbay hunting regarding the 3 pin cards and as I suspected they are simply the 3 latest pin badges that Dark Horse have made/released. So they'll take off the fastening from the backs and set it in a thicker than normal card. You can pick up the new pins for about $12-20(£9-15)...providing you don't believe the SDCC hype on any of them. They might be cheaper later once they're in circulation more too. So they're using the same 'trick' they did for one of the season sets with pin cards...nothing exclusive about it at all.
The sad thing is that these are probably classed as a 'big' hit. No doubt they'll go for silly money on evilbay, but it's kind of underwhelming. Roll Eyes

And I can't wait for people to get excited over a piece of Dothraki blanket as a relic card. Wink Big Grin I'd settle for a piece of Tywin, though...his jacket that is. Smile Although for the price it might go for on the bay, you might expect to get a piece of Charles Dance with it too. Wink

I think the dual autographs are the best bit about the set...from what I see listed/expected so far.
I will get a couple of cards from the set, to say I have something from it in my collection, but I'm not too bothered with getting more.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I've done a little evilbay hunting regarding the 3 pin cards and as I suspected they are simply the 3 latest pin badges that Dark Horse have made/released. So they'll take off the fastening from the backs and set it in a thicker than normal card. You can pick up the new pins for about $12-20(£9-15)...providing you don't believe the SDCC hype on any of them. They might be cheaper later once they're in circulation more too. So they're using the same 'trick' they did for one of the season sets with pin cards...nothing exclusive about it at all. Roll Eyes

I dislike all manufactured pins or patches being call a premium hit, but I am really irked by the Night King pin. Will somebody please tell me in what episode he was handing out zombie team pins to his army, because I must have missed it? Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I dislike all manufactured pins or patches being call a premium hit, but I am really irked by the Night King pin. Will somebody please tell me in what episode he was handing out zombie team pins to his army, because I must have missed it? Roll Eyes Big Grin

I didn't have a clue either, but the box that comes with the pin(I saw on the bay) has a picture of the Night King(looks like the earlier actor Richard Brake, rather than the later Vladimir guy) and it's a pin badge at his neck. A bit like how the leaf brooches were worn by the Fellowship in LOTR. I still can't say I ever noticed it on screen, though. They must have had to filter through hundreds of images to back that up!

I find a pin badge that has the Faceless Man coin pointless. I don't remember anyone wearing one of those coins as a brooch?!?

At least the silver-coloured Hand of the Queen pin is valid. But from the previous Hand of the King badge there was a much better quality one produced by the Noble Collection and I suspect they might reproduce the 'Queen' one later too. Much crisper detail than Dark Horse's product.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Release date now says October 18th, added a couple more weeks.

posted Hide Post
New pictures are up.

3 D Lenticular:

Laser Cut:

Artifex and Character Sketch (same pictures !):

Posts: 18 | Location: Germany | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the character sketches include Arya as the only female, when that character trails behind Cersei, Daererys and Sansa in importance.

Is it an approval thing? Is it just that their sketches will show up in a future product?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why the character sketches include Arya as the only female, when that character trails behind Cersei, Daererys and Sansa in importance.

Is it an approval thing? Is it just that their sketches will show up in a future product?

I did 10 major characters in the beginning of the year and got approvals along the way, Coster-Waldau recently this week; it's very hard to get control over this. Hopefully more will be added before the product is finished. David

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
I did 10 major characters in the beginning of the year and got approvals along the way, Coster-Waldau recently this week; it's very hard to get control over this. Hopefully more will be added before the product is finished. David

David, did you do multiple sketches of those 10 characters or are there just 10 character sketches total (1 of each)?

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:

David, did you do multiple sketches of those 10 characters or are there just 10 character sketches total (1 of each)?

1 of each was allowed from HBO to be submitted and approved by each talent, so yeah 10 is the maximum of originals, but there is the Artifex mini set

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks so much for that information Mr. Desbois. Its really great to have artists who are willing to answer questions about their work when they can. Beautiful sketches, I hope with the delay that they all make it into the packs. Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Complete autograph lists are now on the checklist along with relic and 3-D lenticular card images...

https://scifihobby.com/product...cklist.cfm?SetID=339

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
OH MY!!

This is the highest number of autographs released in any one GoT product. By my count there are 74 in total (29 Gold, 35 Valyrian style, 9 dual and 1 auto/relic). That's at least 20 more than in prior sets.

Some signers are in 2 and 3 types. Also some signers are more in the common category than the star category.

MIA is Clarke, no surprise, and no Christie or Emmanuel, which is a surprise. Harington is only on a dual auto card. Nothing from the 3 most notable actors who have yet to be obtained.

Frankly I am stunned that so many autographs were thrown in here with at least 2 more sets to go and probably more than that planned. I didn't expect it, maybe others did. Since the product composition is so limit, I can only think that we have many short prints to look for, if anyone still feels they can have it all. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I don't want to collect another style of GoT autograph, my focus has been the black and blue bordered cards and that works for me. I really want that gold Maisie Williams, though.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RA said there would be no single episode signers. They've kept to that, BUT... there's plenty of low end filler autographs there that appeared in only a handful of episodes and didn't do a lot.
With all those autograph cards why isn't this a proper release? Apart from the rather rubbish metal card gimmick that RA seem obsessed with atm, the other parts of the product aren't that exclusive or special. Certainly not enough to warrant the more higher end price for collation of the set.

Do we really need two new Eugene Simon autographs? Aside from the fact his signature is bad(just a tiny squiggle if you're lucky), it would be disappointing to find him as the hit in a pack. Drat! I've tempted fate for myself now! Roll Eyes Smile I'm so glad I never ordered a case of this. Definitely a pick and choose title, totally crazy to bother with a master or mini master set...well, unless you have deep and untroubled pockets. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Some nice relics there, but Im not bothered about any of the rest. Depends on the price of course, I picked up a lot of the supposed High end Walking dead survival set for less than the normal cards go for.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Do we really need two new Eugene Simon autographs? Aside from the fact his signature is bad(just a tiny squiggle if you're lucky), it would be disappointing to find him as the hit in a pack. Drat! I've tempted fate for myself now! Roll Eyes Smile Big Grin

So sorry, I called dibs on Eugene Simon first. He's in my box. You can have Roger Ashton-Griffiths though. Wink Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:

So sorry, I called dibs on Eugene Simon first. He's in my box. You can have Roger Ashton-Griffiths though. Wink Big Grin

LMAO! I kid you not, but I nearly spat my drink out reading that. Big Grin It was a close thing to suddenly needing a new laptop rather than a lovely Roger Ashton-Griffiths card. Although I think you're being greedy, because there are two different Eugene Simon cards. Wink Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All of the autograph images are now being shown on the checklist.

https://scifihobby.com/product...cklist.cfm?SetID=339

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
For some reason I notice a big drop in the quality of the autographs, at least in the examples shown. Some of these people have been very reliable signers in the prior GoT sets and I don't get why we see truncated and sloppy signatures here.

The gold signatures in particular don't look very good and I'm hoping its more a photo/lighting thing and that the autographs appear sharper in person.

Sean Bean has reverted to his SB version again. Art Parkinson signed more legibly as a child. Dormer is too thin, van Houten too streaky, and the much maligned Ashton-Griffiths, who really has a very precise signature, can hardly be seen. This all while using the gold ink, which I really dislike. The Valyerian style auto cards seem to look much better.

Finally I also noticed that Sophie Turner is down for one card in the Gold style, but RA's original ad shows her on a Valyrian style card. So was that just a mock up, or was the card pulled?

Still just the 6 character sketches, so I guess the other 4 won't be approved in time after all.