Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones- Valyrian Steel Set in August
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones- Valyrian Steel Set in August
 Login/Join

posted
RA updated their release schedule. A new Game of Thrones set is coming in August. I wonder what it's going to be about!

Posts: 105 | Location: Mechanicsville | Registered: July 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
It could be a set detailing the weapons used on the show. Valyrian Steel is not only the name of the 'special' swords in the GoT world, but there is a company also called Valyrian Steel which has been making the full sized swords, both from the book concepts and the HBO TV replicas.
Sooo it might be weapons-related or costume-ish.

We'll find out eventually. I hope it's not too interesting...my wallet can't cope with two sets in a year! Wink Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
More likely it's just a set with a metallic finish on the cards.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Or maybe autograph signers are using those lousy silver ink pens that RA hands out. If so, they had better get better pens this time because the Bond and Star Trek autographs in silver look very bad on just about every card. Streaking and thick strokes and thin strokes and some signatures that look like they have barely taken to the card. It can't be the fault of every signer, must be the pens.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Since this release was originally slated for an August 2017 release, has anyone heard anything about what's in it, besides the metal cards thing I mean?

I think it may have been pushed back a month to September, but looking at the RA website I don't even find that much info, just the GoT box topper card.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Cardboard Connection - Game of Thrones Valyrian Steel

Sounds mightily impressive. Very pleasantly surprised actually! Having not known much about it I assumed it would be quite a small set. Very wrong! Everything sounds incredible.

Notably there will be sketch cards of the actual characters for the first time, (and seemingly all? done by the incredible David Desbois!) for those that collect them.

Autograph checklist looks excellent so far. Sees the return of Alfie Allen and Jerome Flynn as individual signers, and a Sean Bean/Mark Addy dual. Missed all of those in earlier sets so getting another chance is brilliant.

At 6 metal base cards a box you're going to have to get (nearly) a case or some actual trading going on to get a base set.

Estimated release date is September/October.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, as a committed GoT card collector, my take is a bit different than yours. Here is the part that stands me up . .

4 cards per pack
3 packs per box

That is a high end product and you are not going to even complete the base set unless you buy it from a breaker or go in for that case.

I like that each box will contain 2 autos, but that third pack may contain a sketch, a relic, an Artiflex # to 25 or another autograph. If I pull one of the manufactured pins or coins in that 3rd pack I really won't like it. If I pull a sketch, a real costume relic or another auto I will be happy. So this is really a skip pack where you will likely get a hit you don't want.

By the way, when did the Night King give out pins. Maybe I missed it, but I don't want any fake pin anyway. Big Grin

Here's what I do like, although its a backhand complement. From the autograph checklist, which has not yet been completed, it looks like there are no new signers. This is important to me because there were many new signers in Season 6 and some of us are collecting at least one auto of every actor. So if no one new pops up in Valyrian Steel I don't need to chase anybody. Cool

I do like the dual autograph combo cards and some of the lesser ones may be reasonably priced.

I intended to buy a couple of boxes when I thought they would be just higher end hobby boxes. Getting 3 hits per box is good. Having no shot at a base set is bad. Maybe pulling a sketch for the 3rd hit is great. Maybe pulling a coin or pin for the 3rd hit is really bad. Having the opportunity to pick up more GoT autograph cards, well I'd say that's good, but not needing to pick them up again in the same year is even better.

I'll have to see how much this costs come September/October.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like the idea, always been a fan of premium packs as I don't have to wade through loads of base cards I can't give away and also cuts down on postage costs Smile .

The sketch cards will be awesome if Mr Desbois is doing them although I fear they will be very hard to find.

Really though this is all going to depend on the price point.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Might be interested depending on the style of the autograph cards. If they fit in with previous ones, great. If they're metal like the base cards, then I probably won't care. I need scans to decide on this one.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great but will have to see some pictures before I decide on these. Im rather worried about the binder, hope its not a normal one as 100 metal base cards isnt going to work well in a normal rittenhouse binder.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse have updated their release schedule to say this is due on the 4th October.

Have the SRP as $159.99 per box (though not sure if that's a new update or was there already)

EDIT: The store listing description specifically says that there will be no single episode signers, and that the character sketch cards are indeed exclusively David Desbois art. The base set is all character cards across all seven seasons. Sort of funny note that on the signer breakdown list on the description they have "(also star of Marvel's Iron Fist on Netflix)" after Finn Jones!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Well, if that is the price per box, count me out. As GOT are about the only cards I am collecting right now, looks like I have been priced out of the hobby. Good luck.

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willgull:
Well, if that is the price per box, count me out. As GOT are about the only cards I am collecting right now, looks like I have been priced out of the hobby. Good luck.

It makes you wonder who Rittenhouse are aiming the cards at, if fans are being priced out.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by willgull:

It makes you wonder who Rittenhouse are aiming the cards at, if fans are being priced out.

It's too high. It's not so much that it is a price out, I'm sure a big GoT fan could afford a box or two, but what do you do with even 12 base cards out of a 100 card set? What if you get 4 autographs of repeat signers and a fake pin and a fake coin? Is that worth $320?

Not to me.

These are going to be broken by dealers looking for the sketches, costumes and dual autographs and getting the full set incentive. This is just like Buffy, a product designed more for dealers than the card collectors.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like the configuration, and I like that the base cards might actually be worth more than a few pennies each. . . very curious to see the autographs, but this sounds like the first GOT boxes I'll have bought since Season 2.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've read here on contents I'll be giving this a big miss.
I've never seen the point, or the hype, about sketch cards, so if I got one I'd then have to sell it on. I don't like the daft collation odds on a base set either.

I don't like metal cards. It's never a great material for long term storage, even stainless steel will get stains over time, unless treated and/or kept away from air/light and fingers. (BTW I have a varied sword and dagger collection, collected over a couple of decades, with varying metals and compositions used and know quite a bit about metal for storage and keeping it in good condition. Not practical for cards.)

Pins or other type cards are a rip off. One of the chase sets from a season GoT set had pin cards, which were selling for silly prices from dealers, when you could pick up the exact same official pins from the HBO store or other sci-fi stores for around £10($13) or less.

And if the autographs are actors that have signed before then I'll be keeping my pennies to myself for the next 'proper' yearly season set as usual. I'm actually a bit relieved, as I've collected all the GoT other sets. But this high end gimmick type of set can take a hike. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Have to say I agree with all of the above.

I never really considered the maintenance of metal cards because I don't think I have more than a dozen of them from various products. Oddly enough I collected blades myself and they absolutely will turn if you don't take care of them. So will silver jewelry and silverware. It all needs to be oiled or polished to keep its appearance or it turns black.

I don't know what that means for long term storage of metal cards that also have the inking element involved, but its a good point to bring up.

posted Hide Post
The best product I've ever used on blades is Renaissance Wax, which museums often use now...also good on leather and wood. It actually cuts down the amount of times you have to clean a sword/dagger, as it provides an invisible protective layer. It worked wonders on a hand-forged sword I had, which was prone to carbon spots coming to the surface, a common sword problem for hand-forged blades.
Anyway, there's no way a product like that wax could be used on a metal card.

And in case anyone is thinking I'm scare-mongering. I have seen how poorly metal cards last. One of the last few Harry Potter sets I pulled a redemption winning card and sent it to Artbox and received 2 sets of 4 metal cards. Not that long ago I sold them on, but was horrified to see that although the cards were sealed in packing and in their recesses in the wallet albums they came in, and were not touched by me, all had some tarnish to them. So I had to state that in my listings. They were free, so whatever I sold them for, was a bonus, but I hate to think what they'll look like in another couple of years, especially if someone actually handles them, or has them out in the air a lot. Eek

I have the metal case topper promoting this GoT set from the Season 6 card set, and it doesn't really do anything for me. Actually it was pretty disappointing as a case topper, when previous ones have been nicer and relevant to the set it was in. A metal card...wow, how exciting...NOT! Roll Eyes

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
The product page has been updated, with the info we know already and with images of various autographs. The new Valyrian style is quite attractive Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not exactly info we already know. There are at least two glaring errors on the product page and if RA is reading, they should fix it fast because its a hoot.

Among the signers listed it includes:

The Waif (played by Aidan Gillen)
Night King (played by Carice Van Houten)

Not only the wrong actors, but the wrong genders.

Look fast at the page because someone's head should roll GoT style for such incompetence. Big Grin