Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps 75th
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any (well, just one and it was for a case) listings for this on ebay. I hope they start to show up as I would like to purchase a mini-master set if the price is right.

Posts: 52 | Location: Madison, WI | Registered: March 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I will be looking out for this too

Posts: 12153 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
Hi, I´ve seen some Sylvester Stallone auto cards sold(completed listings) on ebay, are these real autographs? and how many are there? does someone know.

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the auctions. I have a few questions:

Is Sly the only stamped buyback signed card? Or are there any others (i.e. SW related)?

I haven't seen any cut signature cards. I don't know if I missed them or if they just haven't come out into the open yet.

Can somebody tell me if the checklist is textual or if it is the one with thumbnail pictures? Or was that one of the regular cards?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpolis:
I have been looking at the auctions. I have a few questions:

Is Sly the only stamped buyback signed card? Or are there any others (i.e. SW related)?

I haven't seen any cut signature cards. I don't know if I missed them or if they just haven't come out into the open yet.

Can somebody tell me if the checklist is textual or if it is the one with thumbnail pictures? Or was that one of the regular cards?

Thanks,
David

Stallone is the only buyback signer.

Cut Signatures are all 1/1, I believe, so not many to go around. If that's the case, there are only 7 cards across the entire print run.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
I've seen on other sites that the Farrah Fawcett and Cesar Romero cut signatures have been pulled...

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Anyone know or heard how many cards Stallone signed? I would guess it's not many.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Well, I WAS chasing after the trek cards in this set...until I saw this:
http://tinyurl.com/jwaf4v5

Making 1 of 1's annoys me in general. It makes me feel unappreciated as a collector.
Makes me sorry I gave a heads up to my website users and email list....
I don't mind some scarcity to cards. The internet has made the world so small that sometimes scarcity is the only thing that adds a little fun to it, but 1 of 1's.....yeah...no.

Oh yeah, it's a live auction. You can take the link out if you want Harris, but I figure since it's a manufacturer direct sale...and there's no competition to get their feelings hurt, it might be ok?

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm really surprised by that ST card, although I don't follow what gets sold from Topps vault, so maybe blank backs are common.

Still it is a defective card, so why are they selling it? I know that blank backs are collected by certain people when found in packs, but I regard them as simple errors from manufacturers with poor quality control. At best they are novelty items. To say that they were specially created by Topps, for what purpose do you decide to create half a card?

I wouldn't worry about not having these 1/1s in your collection, but I do wonder why Topps is selling them at all as separate collectibles when they would be destroyed if it just happened in a print run. Big Grin

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think they're proof cards. Topps just got wise and realized people will pay a premium for them.

I agree with Raven - if it's not from a pack, I wouldn't count it against a set.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I agree. They've been selling 1/1 blank back proof cards for years. This is just the first time I've seen them present them as part of the set. I would just ignore them. They also do single color proofs and various multicolor proofs. If you start down that road you'll go broke, crazy, or both.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Raven,

It isn't a defective card, it is a production card from topps to I guess test the front before doing a regular runs for the packs.

It is not a first time as part of a set. They did it with old sets for years and they also do it with new sets. I have seen it with "new" Star Wars sets, and I think wacky packages too.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpolis:
Raven,

It isn't a defective card, it is a production card from topps to I guess test the front before doing a regular runs for the packs.

It is not a first time as part of a set. They did it with old sets for years and they also do it with new sets. I have seen it with "new" Star Wars sets, and I think wacky packages too.

David

I think I worded it badly David. I know that these cards were produced this way to be sold as 1/1s. I didn't know that it was common practice for Topps to market them out as part of proof sets or test sets.

When you call a card blank backed it means just that to me, so I used the word defective in the true sense of a blank backed card. It always registered as a defect to me, even as some collectors considered them as variants and sought them out.

It all depends on your perspective I guess, but I don't like half a card, no matter what you may call it. Big Grin

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here are some of the sale prices for these Topps Vault 1 of 1 blank backs

GPK $561
Star Wars $380
Batman Bat Laffs $188
Beatles $102
Raiders of the Lost Ark $76
Green Hornet $69
Simpsons $75 (I'm much happier to have the black printing plate for this card at half this price!)
Wacky Packages $66
Jurassic Park $52
Alien $51

The next 25 or so went from between $30 and $50 with the rest of them thus far sold ranging all the way down to only $12.50 for the 1976 Marvel Comic Heroes Iron Man sticker (surprisingly low!) to the only one that sold for the bare minimum, that being $9.99 for the 1960's Monster Greetings one with Robert Crumb art on it (which they really should have mentioned in the title! Crumb has many collectors).

Several more are ending today including several that should sell for well over $100 including Mars Attacks and Star Trek, and I think the last of them finish tomorrow. When it's all said and done, the set of 100 will net Topps a tidy sum, but with a set loaded with such varied subject matter, there's something in Topps 75th for quite a few different specialty collectors looking for 1 of 1's.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
These were yesterday's winners:

Batman 1966 $272
Davy Crockett $77
Mars Attacks $92 (I thought this one would do better)
Moonraker $57
Star Trek 1976 $225
Weird Wheels $48
Pee Wee's Playhouse $46

with the rest of them ranging in the from $35 or so down to $11 (Flags of the World)

The last ones (I think) finish today with Ugly Stickers, Superman The Movie, Planet of the Apes, and TV shows Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, and the Kung Fu looking to be the highlights.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah its wild to see those winning bids on the blank backs and I wish the buyers all good fortune, but it doesn't change my own assessment in the least. It's still half a card. Big Grin

For the next product Topps should print one test set with a big red X across the front and try selling those out of the vault too. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
For the next product Topps should print one test set with a big red X across the front and try selling those out of the vault too. Wink

LOL!! Big Grin

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the blank front/blank back ghost ink test pressing 1/1 , myself.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
IMO, these are gimmicks; and it's amazing what people fall for and spend their money on.

What about blank front cards? I have some gaming cards with bank fronts. Two of which I got sketches done on them this year.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
is there going to be a series 2 of these cards they just kind of stop with the x-files nothing newer than that

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post