Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones Rittenhouse
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Rittenhouse
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
The sketches could be for Season 3

On Facebook someone asked, "Any chance there will be sketch cards in Game of Thrones season 2?" and Rittenhouse replied, "Yes!" So I think that dealer list posted was preliminary and we will get a full breakdown with sketches later. Although the presence of sketches or not could affect orders greatly (for me it definitely does) so I wish they'd officially announce them.

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
If there happens to be 1 sketch per case or even every 5 cases that will greatly affect the case price imho. I base that on having quality artists like Charles Hall producing the work.
Yes, I'm psyched,
VinnyH

Posts: 102 | Location: Pleasantville, NY | Registered: November 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
As sketch cards are the cards I'm least interested in, I'd be fine if there were only one a case or less. It might actually make the sketch cards more interesting to me if they're that limited. If I get one, fine, if I don't I'm not bothered by it. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This set is shaping up to be quite a challenge and I'm still working on the first season. Wink

While I understand why some collectors might feel that there is actually too much in it, I'm OK with it so far. I would love it if there were 3 autos in a box, but the truth is that it doesn't necessarily add any value. I have bought certain product that had as many as 4 autos per box and they were all unknown, minor characters that were worth about $5 each. It isn't the quantity, but the quality after all.

For collectors who are now accustom to the "one and done" this set may take too long and cost too much. But card collecting was once all about the quest and I think its a good thing to have a set that will take people maybe months to complete, if not years. And if many of the single autos are picked off, that just makes the master set harder and more desirable.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I've been reading the books and have just about finished book 3 (no spoilers from me, but there are gut punches coming, I'll leave it at that), and the crazy thing is, the TV series, despite its large cast only hints at the massive number of characters found in the books, there has to be at least a hundred new ones in Book 3 alone, including several I can't wait to see on the show this and next season, along with their appearances in future card sets that will result.

Even though the series consolidates certain characters and eliminates others entirely, this will still be a massive list of autographs if Rittenhouse is able to make season sets all the way to the end. There will be at least 6 different sets as the premiere date for the Season 6 was just announced, and Martin feels he will finish the 7th book in time for HBO to adapt in time without any big delay, so it looks like 8 seasons at least, maybe more

With that in mind, there should be at least 300 different Game of Thrones autograph cards when it's said and done which would have to rank up right up there with the most different signers from one non-sports subject. I believe Star Trek is the leader currently. Does anyone know how many different signers there have been for the Skybox/Rittenhouse Star Trek sets? How about the James Bonds series from Inkworks/Rittenhouse?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I think I feel the same way Chesspieceface does, it's great that there will be so much to collect. I'm very happy that they're including relic cards this time around.
Only thing I'm not too sure about are the sketch cards.
I found some images of the new autos and the relic cards, and since no one else has posted them I thought why not. Seeing them has just added to my excitement Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have to say, for those who love the show, but are debating whether or not to read the books, I would recommend not to.

I watched the first season having read none of the books and loved the series. I read the second book as the second season was unfolding and it felt like a director's cut of each episode, which was great.

But the third book I read before the Season 3 premiere tonight, and watching the show, it felt like just tiny snippets of the story, like a preview of the show and hardly the actual show at all, there is just so much they can't get into the show, so laden is the book with additional details and dialogue. Brienne & Jamie plus Arya in her own adventure dominate the early part of the third book and those characters didn't even appear in the premiere episode. It just shows what a great wealth of characters the show boasts when even Dany doesn't appear until 40 minutes into the episode!

Don't get me wrong, I still love the show, but the books do spoil you in that way. Still, I'm glad to have read them the first three (I went back and read the first book). George Martin really is master of this kind of writing, the scope of the stories has to be unparalleled. There are numerous grand adventures all going on at once, and thanks to the series, it's very easy to visualize the characters and even hear their voices when you're reading their dialogue.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat torn about this show. On the one hand, the actual series is excellent - good acting, costumes, production etc - and the variety and quality of cards makes it perfect to collect. However, there's so very few characters that are actually likeable that I find it hard to get emotionally attached.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure Season Three can be compared to the book properly until the whole season has been broadcast, and I'm still not certain if book 3 will infact be split into two seasons. As the nature of the books is each chapter is from a different characters' POV, then they might mix and match for the TV series for different episodes...showing the 'chapters' out of sequence.
There's no way we can expect the TV show to present the intricate character plots and journeys from the books. The show is more about showing the essence of the books.

I started reading the books in the mid 1990s, so I can't avoid spoilers. It's funny how a Song of Ice and Fire forum I used to frequent nearly 15 years ago had a thread about which actors we'd like to play the characters if it ever got made into movies etc...which at the time, seemed very unlikely. If I remember correctly the forum had a few actors wanted for Ned Stark and one of those was Sean Bean. Smile

I won't give plots away for those who haven't read the books, but I will say, if the TV series will indeed continue until the last book(whenever GRRM finally gets around to writing the last ones) then I think the TV series might improve some of the later books. Book 5 was a bit like walking through tar, and several characters have lost their feisty edge. Book 5 could have been much more concise and less rambling, therefore the TV will have to downsize it and might make an improvement on that part of the story.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I won't give plots away for those who haven't read the books, but I will say, if the TV series will indeed continue until the last book(whenever GRRM finally gets around to writing the last ones) then I think the TV series might improve some of the later books. Book 5 was a bit like walking through tar, and several characters have lost their feisty edge. Book 5 could have been much more concise and less rambling, therefore the TV will have to downsize it and might make an improvement on that part of the story.

Same thing with Lord of the Rings. The movies got rid of a whole lot of superfluous characters and meandering plot, making the story much more coherent and interesting.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:

Same thing with Lord of the Rings. The movies got rid of a whole lot of superfluous characters and meandering plot, making the story much more coherent and interesting.

That's my hope. Lots and lots of characters keep being introduced in the books, a lot of whom I don't see the point to beyond stretching the story and adding extra waffle, so hopefully those will be narrowed down to the most interesting and important too.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
DISCUSSES 1st EPISODE ONLY, no spoilers except a bit from last week's episode.

The problem (such as it is a problem since I still love the show) is not the loss of characters as the series has done a good job of combining characters to tighten up the storylines. Rather, the rub has been and will be (as in pretty much all filmed adaptations of books) is the loss of important dialogue even from scenes that are actually depicted, most notably Tyrion's day of reckoning with his father Tywin, Jon Snow's meeting with Mance Rayder, and not the least, Dany's meeting with the slave soldier dealer, as that one lost a lot of disturbing detail that would have greatly enhanced what was still an excellent scene, certainly it should be indicated that Dany actually understood the language of the slave dealer but was only pretending not to so as to gain advantage in the negotiation. All of those scenes, which constituted the bulk of the episode, lost quite a bit in translation, and certainly only because of time restraints. Concerning Davos' rescue, the stuff he is thinking about as he lay there marooned, awaiting certain death, is literary gold, but there was no way to film that, so they did well to impart some of that information during his discussion with pirate Salladhor San, which like the scene with Sansa & Shae, all of the stuff with Margery Tyrell (the orphanage visit AND the dinner with Cersei and Joffrey), plus the end of the opening scene with Sam having having NOT sent the Ravens were invented for the series, and all will help save time so they can get to the meat of it all. Even Selmy doesn't pledge to Dany to the end of the 3rd book, so they've moved that right up to the front for the show, which will lose the stuff he did while in disguise to watch her, so he could be sure she wasn't insane like her father was before re-pledging to the Targaryens.

They really did have a lot to do, so much so that Arya, Brienne, and Jamie Lannister couldn't even appear in the opener, and they all dominate the beginning of book 3, so I'm sure they'll get their due this week.

The upside on the truncated scenes however, is that while reading them, it's now very easy to visualize the series actors saying the additional lines, so reading the books really is like a director's cut. I understand not wanting to spoil the show for yourself, but really, anyone who likes this series, should definitely read the first two books. It greatly enriches the experience.

I realizes this is card discussion site, so let me say I'm very excited for the Season 2 card set (in the hopes it will spare me the moderator's righteous wrath).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I missed this confirmation of sketches from RA on Facebook.

Best to all,
VinnyH

Posts: 102 | Location: Pleasantville, NY | Registered: November 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sketches have been spoken about now for a little while, but from what I have seen, there are no sketches of characters.

All the sketches I have seen so far have been of locations from the show.

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
They just haven't been acknowledged by RA as to how they will be inserted. I'm hoping they update their site soon on a final autograph checklist and sketch info.
Best to All,
VinnyH

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
P4 promos, available at the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show April 19th and 20th. Bouncey

Had to share because I'm glad to finally have a Rittenhouse promo and I know some people don't frequent the show section if they can't go to shows.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NonSportCardGuy26:
Sketches have been spoken about now for a little while, but from what I have seen, there are no sketches of characters.

All the sketches I have seen so far have been of locations from the show.

I believe they can do sketches of the house crests as well.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
Direwolves should make for cool sketches.
IMHO,
VinnyH

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dragons as well Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post