Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones Rittenhouse
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Rittenhouse
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
How cool would it be if in addition to their signatures, the signer also wrote their one of this character names? I love those characters.

Yes that would be a great addition, but I doubt that any manufacturer would suggest it. They are happy just to get the signatures back in time.

I may be wrong, but I really can't think of a big star who adds things on certified cards, its usually one or two of the minor actors. I know Lou Ferrigno wrote "Hulk" on the expansion set card. I guess that counts.

Not sure he's a "big" star, but check the NSU blog for the 29 one of one variations created by Nick Offerman who plays Ron Swanson on "Parks and Recreation" on NBC. Each of those has a different "Swanson-ism" written underneath his name, usually a short phrase or single word related to the character or the show in general. Very cool. I've got my fingers crossed for one of those once I get my boxes.

I haven't noted any huge variations in new GoT autos, but the signature for Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) varies pretty widely. Some are pretty close to a full signature while others are just literally a couple of small lines.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Card Owner:
We have been opening our GoT cases for hours ... and late last night ... pulled David's Sleeping Legend Sketch Card (The Dragon Skull Room).

The detail on the card is truly astounding and I must say it a fantastic work of art.

Well Done David ... really impressed and pleased.

This is the link to David's site which shows the Sleeping Legend sketch

http://daviddeb.deviantart.com...ing-Legend-370064821

Now the big question is do we keep or do we sell??

Congrats Card Owner, well you should keep it, that's why I do themSmile

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
This one is my favorite 'house artwork' I did for the set

House Clegane
featuring the 3 hounds, with the last one kinda morphing into Clegane's helmet.

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We purchased 18 cases. We had all 18 pre-ordered by customers and other UK dealers.

However a UK dealer who was meant to buy over 6 cases from us changed his mind which meant we had a few cases to open ourselves.

I guess it worked in our favour!!

David, the collector side of me wants to keep the card but as a business unfortunately we cannot always put our collecting needs before our business finances unfortunately.

I just have to convince my business partner to keep it and showcase it instead!!

Posts: 61 | Location: Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom | Registered: June 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone know why there were no character sketch cards done for the set (If there are any I haven't seen them yet)? Too difficult to get approval?

Posts: 32 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sean Pence posted scans of 9 of the 23 approved sketch cards he did on his Facebook today:

Link

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Card Owner:
We purchased 18 cases. We had all 18 pre-ordered by customers and other UK dealers.

However a UK dealer who was meant to buy over 6 cases from us changed his mind which meant we had a few cases to open ourselves.

I guess it worked in our favour!!

David, the collector side of me wants to keep the card but as a business unfortunately we cannot always put our collecting needs before our business finances unfortunately.

I just have to convince my business partner to keep it and showcase it instead!!

Yeah I totally understand that dilemma, especially if you're a business. I see it is up for sale now, it's so lovely, I love the details in it.

And another has just been posted! one of David's White Walkers!

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
This one is my favorite 'house artwork' I did for the set

House Clegane
featuring the 3 hounds, with the last one kinda morphing into Clegane's helmet.

That beauty is up on the bay for auction too!

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the prices for these sketches going for well above 500, I think I'm priced out of this part of the set. Can anyone remember a set with sketch cards going for 500 or more regularly? Walking Dead, maybe?

Posts: 105 | Location: Mechanicsville | Registered: July 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know as well. I've never seriously collected a set that had sketch cards before so I have no idea, is it because they are so limited that they are so expensive? But haven't there been other sets with sketches really limited that are not this expensive?

Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
Part of it is scarcity but a lot of it is the three artists who did the sketches. Spence, Hall and DeBois have well deserved reputations as top artists.
I other sets you might see 40 artists putting out work but the top guys are usually getting the premium prices.
IMHO,
VinnyH

Posts: 102 | Location: Pleasantville, NY | Registered: November 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It is a combination of terrific artwork, in demand artists, and a very limited number of sketches on official card stock.

Having said that, I do think these GOT sketch prices are crazy, but I don't really know what they are actually selling for, or even if they are selling. I have seen BINs of $1,500, but that is likely wishful thinking. Its hard for me to imagine where anyone thinks a sketch card is going to go when it starts over $500, its not a painting after all.

The other thing I wonder is what the artists think of these prices when they see other people making such profits on them, again assuming that they are selling so high. I mean, for arguments sake say that a GOT sketch card just went for $600, and the artist was paid whatever the manufacturer contracted. So what does that artist charge for commissions from now on. Wink

I would love to pull one on these sketches from a box, but honestly over $500 is not even in my vocabulary here. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It's difficult to imagine a sketch card worth as much as a whole 'nother case of cards, especially from a modern artist, no matter how awesome they are.
That said, Pence, Desbois, and Hall are definitely on the short list of the best in the business.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's beginning to look like we need a way to distinguish between "sketch cards" and "original artwork in card size."

I expected high prices for these particular cards, since there were fewer than 70 made (about 1 in 12 cases) and the quality is top end.

The hobby does have a "problem" (opinions may differ) with values that are sometimes governed by artificial scarcity, but these prices are in line with "unique" items from mainstream sets that are numbered in the tens or at least less than 100.

With the few sketches in GOT2, I assume that either (a) Rittenhouse is trying a variation to see how it's received, (b) HBO is _very_ picky about approving artwork based on its series, or (c) both.

I think it's a different (but related) phenomenon to sketches by "premium" artists in some other series where there may be 1 per box. We've had series where the manufacturer offered only a handful of $ per item, and most of the items were ... sketches (rough, at times). Some artists, either out of pride or out of a love for the material, put a lot more work into their contributions than other artists. Couple that with limited numbers and people were willing to pay hundreds of $ even if the entire box run had 10,000 total sketches. The roughest sketches from the most prolific artists brought only a few bucks, and those artists were even cursed by collectors when their cards were pulled. For instance, Lord of the Rings sketch cards are up on the auction site for buy-it-now prices ranging from $5 each to $950 each. This is similar to what you'd see with the scarcest autographs or relics versus the lowest end.

The sketches Pence, Desbois, and Desbois/Hall produced for GOT2 are breathtaking. We won't know how much of the selling prices come from their being on official card-set cardboard, but here I doubt that it's most of it.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allender you are absolutely right.

I don't think that the term "Sketch Card" truly describes these cards. They are anything but sketches.

If you look at the detail of some of these cards and the time and effort put into creating them one will soon realize why they are commanding such prices.

Personally I think they are works of art and I must congratulate the 3 artists that have done such a fantastic job.

Posts: 61 | Location: Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom | Registered: June 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a question that goes to all three artists but also any collectors who know the answer; how can you tell the difference between one of those 70 sketches that were pack-inserted, and those that were returned to you/the artist;

I can see a confusing after-market where pack-pulled/official are mixed up (intentionally or not) with the others... especially given the ones I've seen on THAT site...

Thanks

Posts: 199 | Location: Romford, Essex, England | Registered: April 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeanPatrickPence
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the kind words regarding some of the work I contributed to this set - much appreciated! It was definitely challenging (for myself) not having the option to render character likenesses... but I did my best with what reference was available. I had originally done 25 sketches, but two were not approved (and the reasons why are rather amusing). Just random info for anyone keeping score. Wink

In regard to the question about AR/APs -- I can only answer for myself, but I chose to leave my return cards complete & uncut, so they are 4" x 5" in size.

Posts: 51 | Location: The Uncharted Territories | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
The GOT inserted sketches are on a certain standard stock with the Rittenhouse info on the back and the lined box with "Game of Thrones" printed on the front.
I know Charles Hall has his commissioned sketches on his own card stock with his own design on the back. I'll scan one later after work.
Best to All,
VinnyH
quote:
Originally posted by Ali_G:
This is a question that goes to all three artists but also any collectors who know the answer; how can you tell the difference between one of those 70 sketches that were pack-inserted, and those that were returned to you/the artist;

I can see a confusing after-market where pack-pulled/official are mixed up (intentionally or not) with the others... especially given the ones I've seen on THAT site...

Thanks

Posts: 102 | Location: Pleasantville, NY | Registered: November 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ali_G:

Thanks

Sometimes the AR have 'Artist Return' or 'Artist Proof' printed in the back, sometimes they add a sticker to difference them, and sometimes there is just no difference like this is the case for this release. I actually prefer that since I can do them all and select my favorites to be my AR, cuz it's not always what I plan will be my 'best' card that turn out the best in the end. Creation is a process and ideas usually come as I go. My AR are also pointed out as such on my DeviantArt, but it's a great idea to mark them on back of the card too, will do it as well. Fantastic cards Sean btw, seen the 9 you posted.

Picture of SeanPatrickPence
posted Hide Post
Thank you David! And likewise...beautiful work, both yours & the jams with Charles! Smile

Posts: 51 | Location: The Uncharted Territories | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post