Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones Rittenhouse
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Rittenhouse
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinnyH:
One thing I'm expecting to add some hype, right or wrong, is that this series will come out at the peak of Season 3. May 22nd will be right before episodes 9 & 10.
I haven't read the books but major things should be happening plot-wise and character-wise.
Best to All,
VinnyH

A wedding or two I fancy Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ronin47
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I had the same basic strategy for series 1, which was a must, so I thought about getting 2 cases until I was able to get the Archive box for less than that.

I bought that knowing I only wanted the bordered autographs and that I could sell the full bleed autos and make back a big chunk of the money, which I did, so I wound up getting a master set of the cards and one of each bordered autograph for not much more than the price of a case.

I'm thinking of one case this time, also knowing I don't need the autograph of any of those signers I already have (who have signed again for the 2nd series or else have full bleed versions this time), so I'd be able to get back a chunk of the money by selling those.
I also wouldn't be interested in the "relic" cards. I hardly even like those even when their actual costume pieces in them, so there's another "out". I would hope they'd be worth $10, but I doubt it would be that high, except for maybe certain popular characters. I don't really collect these kinds of sketches either, so that's helpful for accomplishing my goal without breaking the bank.

For re-selling purposes, I also don't think any of the regular inserts will approach $2 each, maybe the sigils.

I just finished reading the 3rd book, and man, what a finish on that one! If they can get even half of what's in the book into Season 3 and 4 of the HBO show, we are in for a real treat.
Would you advise in purchasing a few cases of s2, or just waiting for the archive box to show up on ebay. buy n bust, then put em up on ebay? Or is it not worth it? I don't even know, but does an archive box include everything?

I made the mistake of buying a bunch of autos, and a few boxes from s1 off ebay. Probably would have been cheaper to just buy an archive box for $1500 or so. The more you know..

Posts: 10 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Let me know what cards you'd like to have in your own collection when the smoke clears, and I'll give you my opinion on the best way to go.

I should mention that the Archive boxes this time around aren't seeming to be offered in advance yet, so I'm wondering if maybe those who get them this time won't be selling them that way, but rather breaking them down to sell their components individually.

The Archive boxes tend to include everything except for the promo and binder cards. Hard to say on the sketches in this series, maybe you'd get a random one in a box, I doubt you'd get one from each artist.

Even if I could get one, I probably wouldn't get an Archive box this time, since I'm mostly interested in the just one of each autograph, and not from the signers I've already got. In my case, it will probably be a lot better to buy a master set of the regular base and chase, and just the autographs I'm looking for, although there are a couple of the new signers who will likely be valuable, Sansa Stark, comes immediately to mind. Might be good to try to find one of hers in a regular sealed box.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
quote:
Originally posted by VinnyH:
One thing I'm expecting to add some hype, right or wrong, is that this series will come out at the peak of Season 3. May 22nd will be right before episodes 9 & 10.
I haven't read the books but major things should be happening plot-wise and character-wise.
Best to All,
VinnyH

A wedding or two I fancy Big Grin .

Careful, Triple Frog! Big Grin

I have to say, though, they really have added a lot of new stuff to the series so far this year. The Tyrells roles are greatly expanded on the series. I don't think it's any spoiler at all to say (except for anyone who hasn't read the third book I suppose, and even for them, it's only a minor one) that Theon Greyjoy doesn't even appear in the 3rd book, at all, and it's 1100 pages! That basically means he shouldn't come back to TV until Season 5(!) at the earliest based on the idea that Book 3 is the basis of Season 3 & 4. Of course, Theon's already been featured in a couple of episodes of the show this year, which I like, because the fellow who plays him, Alfie Allen, is a fine actor, and I'm glad he's back, although Theon's probably not, given his current circumstance.

While reading the books ahead of the series can have the effect of spoiling the surprises for yourself on the TV show to varying degrees, one benefit of having done so, is that certain autographs become more meaningful to you knowing what's to become of certain characters.

VinnyH is right, there are some BIG surprises coming, both this season and next season, if they continue to basically follow the plot of the books, and why wouldn't they? They are really excellent. Spoilers be darned, I'm about to read Book 4!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I've accidentally come across a couple spoilers about that specific event Triple Frog mentioned, from people who have read the books.

Of course they were conflicting, and one never quite knows if they will do things just like in the books either, so while it'll be slightly less dramatic for me, I still don't know what will happen!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I first read book 3 so many years ago it actually amuses me to hear people say "Don't spoil it!" At the same time it makes me feel very old having started reading the series well over 15 years ago. Eek

Anyway, without giving spoilers it should be mentioned that Book 4 and Book 5 run at the same time...so a character's storyline in book 4 happens at the same time as another character's storyline in book 5. So they could be considered as one huge book. This is what GRRM has said about those, that most of the action and character stuff runs concurrent. Which might be why they're adding in things differently to the TV series, as the structure after S3/S4(Book3) might change greatly to accommodate the concurrent book 4 & 5 storylines.
It's a headache I wouldn't want as a script writer for the series, knowing which order to show the storylines and character development in future. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As he was writing Book 4, Martin realized what he'd written had became so large, the book would have to be cut in two to be published. So for Book 4, he found he could tell half of the story for each character, of all of the story for half of the characters, so he opted to go with the full story for half of them for Book 4 in 2005 and hoped to get Book 5 out with the concurrent stories of the other characters (including Dany and Tyrion, largely absent from Book 4!) one year later in 2006. Well, that book didn't come out until 2011 or so, so for readers caught up with the story in 2005, that had to have been a very painful delay!

Here are some fantastic caricatures of the HBO actors by Hermann Meijia from the new Mad Magazine. If they could do likenesses for the sketch cards, imagine how popular a 20 (or so) card sketch set from this guy would be. Each drawing is instantly recognizable.

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
They're great! Big Grin Now that's a type of sketch card I would be interested in. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This auction seems to have some new info on sketch cards:

"Done by Sean Pence and Dave Desbois. With a few JAM cards by Desbois and Charles Hall"

If it's really only 3 artists, these cards will be pretty scarce.

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VinnyH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ctacker:
This auction seems to have some new info on sketch cards:

"Done by Sean Pence and Dave Desbois. With a few JAM cards by Desbois and Charles Hall"

What is a "JAM" sketch. I'm a beginner with terminology. Smile
Thanks,
VinnyH

Posts: 102 | Location: Pleasantville, NY | Registered: November 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it means a collaboration, they drew the sketch together. But I thought those Hall cards already posted were solo efforts, so maybe that's not a full list of the sketches.

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wonged
posted Hide Post
quote:

Too bad the artists aren't allowed to do faces / characters. From his web site, I can see why RA chose Desbois to do GoT sketches !!
http://daviddeb.deviantart.com/gallery/37133249

Posts: 20 | Location: Central NY State | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wonged:
Too bad the artists aren't allowed to do faces / characters. From his web site, I can see why RA chose Desbois to do GoT sketches !!

Wow. And the "Godswood at Winterfell" piece on his site is described as a jam with Charles Hall.

Perhaps RA is going for quality over quantity with the sketches, and the opposite is true for the relic cards. Razz

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wow. And the "Godswood at Winterfell" piece on his site is described as a jam with Charles Hall.

Perhaps RA is going for quality over quantity with the sketches, and the opposite is true for the relic cards. Razz

Note that they can only go with what HBO provide them with, it's unlikely they will give up iconic Daenerys gown to be cut in pieces. A lot of costumes are held for exhibitions;
https://www.facebook.com/photo...97733&type=1&theater

hopefully, they'll be able to acquire notable worn costume in coming years

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
She's really only worn a few costumes in the whole of the series, thus far, so there's no way those are getting cut up, and really, they shouldn't do it, even if they could.

While collectors usually abhor relic cards that have a swatch of fabric mounted in the card that was "used in the creation of" of a costume, instead of a piece of fabric stated to be from an actual screen worn costume, for Game of Thrones, fans might make an exception. Some of the material is so ornate and beautiful, it would still make an excellent card, and, certified official, it would be a very nice collectible from what could end up being on the short list of the greatest series ever made.

Perhaps Rittenhouse could ask HBO to ask the costume designers to save some extra unused pieces of material, even scraps, from particularly colorful costumes for them to use in Relic cards in a future set. Those cards could very well be autographed by cast members, too, as Rittenhouse has issued plenty of auto relics over the years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
She's really only worn a few costumes in the whole of the series, thus far, so there's no way those are getting cut up, and really, they shouldn't do it, even if they could.

While collectors usually abhor relic cards that have a swatch of fabric mounted in the card that was "used in the creation of" of a costume, instead of a piece of fabric stated to be from an actual screen worn costume, for Game of Thrones, fans might make an exception. Some of the material is so ornate and beautiful, it would still make an excellent card, and, certified official, it would be a very nice collectible from what could end up being on the short list of the greatest series ever made.

Perhaps Rittenhouse could ask HBO to ask the costume designers to save some extra unused pieces of material, even scraps, from particularly colorful costumes for them to use in Relic cards in a future set. Those cards could very well be autographed by cast members, too, as Rittenhouse has issued plenty of auto relics over the years.

Yes, this is true, but I guarantee there are multiple versions of this costume. I collect film and television wardrobe and props. There are always multiple versions of costumes.

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is only a partial collection as well. I own several of those cards plus others from David. These are the GoT that I currently own.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Out with the complete auto list already will ya?

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robwaddle
posted Hide Post
Like those pix, are they expensive?

Posts: 372 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice DD's!

Posted elsewhere, but here's my 2 Desbois GoT's cards:

Amazing in-hand! Would love to add a couple more to my collection at some point.

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post