Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Hunger Games from NECA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunger Games from NECA
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Hunger Games Trading Cards:
(SRP-$59.76 Box) 10 boxes per case /24 packs per box /6 cards per pack
Release Date: March 2012

This set will have 72 base cards, 9 of those cards are going to form an interlocking
puzzle. It is based on the new movie The Hunger Game, which will be releasing March 23, 2012.

No word on chase or autos, so assume none (like the NECA Twilight releases, only worse)

I was surprised to see this one appear. Especially since NECA didn't do a set for Twilight Breaking Dawn.

Also, they are trying to control distribution on these by telling dealers they cannot offer them on eBay or Amazon. Good luck with that.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am surprised with such a big name release. That they gave it to a company with a so-so track record.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts:
I am surprised with such a big name release. That they gave it to a company with a so-so track record.

NECA is a toy company primarily. They had the Twilight toy license and ended up with the cards after Inkworks went under.

Wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened here. They may have the toys, and just asked to do cards too.

It's going to be a shame though. Looks like just a base set, unless it's a bad explanation of what the set really is.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
To be honest I can't see Hunger Games as being a big movie. The storyline can pretty much be summed up as Death Race for teens, with a bit of the Lottery and Rollerball thrown in. I know its a series and the books have sold, but with all the action films coming out around the same time, this is just not on my list. I think the March release might be because the studio does not want to go head to head with the summer block busters.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
So, 144 base cards per box with no mention of any kind of insert for $60. Perfect collation would give exactly 2 base sets per box.

Assuming one was a seller that means $30 per base set is break even, a bit more if you factor in the shipping cost of a purchased box or case.

Seems a tad lame, or maybe greedy. I guess it remains to be seen if the movies will have a fan base willing to spend close to $40-$45 for a base set (factoring in a small profit for the seller and the cost of shipping for the set).

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The staff at NECA MUST know about trading cards and what goes into sets and must know that generally people don't pay $60 for a box with a base set! They got lucky with Twilight and still didn't produce a set for the last film!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. That sucks. My wife and I both read and liked the Hunger Games trilogy and I was excited at the prospect of cards, until now.

NECA totally dropped the ball with the Twilight sets, especially since they haven't produced one for Breaking Dawn.

I see what Cryptozoic is doing with their sets, at least TVD so far, and I like the breakdown per box. I am not a case breaker, so getting 3 boxes and having 3 autos AND 3 wardrobe cards was huge.

Maybe NECA will surprise us this time.

Posts: 30 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
This isn't surprising at all really, because the Hunger Games is being talked about as the next Twilight.
I don't think they should even be talked about in the same sentence. I haven't read any of the Hunger Games books, but if it's anything like the way the Twilight movies went, I'm not interested.

Neca don't care about quality or even what is put in the set all they care about is making as much money as they can. You should see all the merchandise they have released for all the Twilight movies.

I stopped after the New Moon card set. I don't think I even finished it, I was so put off by it. Not interested in any of the others either.

Companies like Neca should not be allowed to make card sets because they don't care about the subject matter at all. They should stick to making all the toys and other junk merchandise.

Now, if Cryptozoic or Rittenhouse had said they were doing it, I might really be interested.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post