Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek 50th Anniversary Set II
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek 50th Anniversary Set II
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well that's a wrap for me. There are 60 Alien autographs, most signers I don't know and the dozen or so repeats I already have. Maybe I am missing someone significant because I'm not a devoted Trekkie, but I don't see any signer here worth pulling except if it's one of the Captains.

I did a lot of the Set I autographs, very disappointed with this checklist.

I retired from Trek collecting when I bought a box of the Star Trek movies/Into Darkness set and pulled autographs from characters that didn't even have names (to this day, Burly Cadet makes me angry...). These characters are fine if boxes were $40, but after $80 shipped there are a lot of names there that would leave me feeling like I was ripped off.

Rittenhouse doesn't make Trek sets for the average box buyer anymore, though, and they have not for a while. They make them for case buyers and completionists and I'm sure those people are excited about such obscure characters finally showing up.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
quote:
Well that's a wrap for me. There are 60 Alien autographs, most signers I don't know and the dozen or so repeats I already have. Maybe I am missing someone significant because I'm not a devoted Trekkie, but I don't see any signer here worth pulling except if it's one of the Captains.

I did a lot of the Set I autographs, very disappointed with this checklist.

I retired from Trek collecting when I bought a box of the Star Trek movies/Into Darkness set and pulled autographs from characters that didn't even have names (to this day, Burly Cadet makes me angry...). These characters are fine if boxes were $40, but after $80 shipped there are a lot of names there that would leave me feeling like I was ripped off.

Rittenhouse doesn't make Trek sets for the average box buyer anymore, though, and they have not for a while. They make them for case buyers and completionists and I'm sure those people are excited about such obscure characters finally showing up.

All true, but as an autograph card collector I judge titles that I don't actively follow a bit differently. I am not trying to complete, just pick up signatures of actors that I like, whether for this particular role, or any other work. So when I don't know the actor, I don't need the autograph unless its GoT, which I do follow.

In 50th Set I there were many signers that had solid careers besides their Star Trek appearances. I bought a few boxes and then went the route of just picking up the autographs I liked. I expected to do the same thing here, since it seemed that ST movies were included. However this checklist of signers does not have any standouts, new or repeat, that I recognize. Of course there are a few regulars like Frakes and Curtis, but not a big deal because they have done many.

So for me, I might try to pick up a Captain or two later on, but otherwise I'm out. For case breakers, you can look forward to one Captain and one sketch and hope that the relics and other autographs get you there. Or you can hope for a Cut.

One thing I did notice on this checklist that surprised me. If correct, there is a signature card for Robin Sachs as General Valen. Mr Sacks passed away in February 2013. He was a very good character actor who appeared in many roles requiring a lot of make up. That card might be worth getting, although I don't know how RA was holding on to it this long.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Long time reader - been really looking forward to this set but there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it... I've seen some come on eBay and there are some beautiful sketches appearing. The cards look really nice! From eBay: /30 Roddenberry (#1 listed for $4000), /33 Lenard, /50 DeForest Kelley

A few questions as I'm not a regular collector:
- Is there a way I can tell which sketches are from the 2016 50th Original series vs these ones easily?
- Sketch prices seem to vary greatly - is there some guide the sellers are following? Some are US$1499.98
- Is there some site where I can see all the sketches?
- Phaser cut cards - are these metal cards and how do these look in person?

Posts: 3 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Data789:
Long time reader - been really looking forward to this set but there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it... I've seen some come on eBay and there are some beautiful sketches appearing. The cards look really nice! From eBay: /30 Roddenberry (#1 listed for $4000), /33 Lenard, /50 DeForest Kelley

- Is there a way I can tell which sketches are from the 2016 50th Original series vs these ones easily?
- Sketch prices seem to vary greatly - is there some guide the sellers are following? Some are US$1499.98

First Off, Congrats to Lynne for Pulling the Number Gene Rodenberry Cut Signature!

Hopefully the Seller has the Originals listed as Star Trek TOS 50th Anniversary Sketch by (INSERT Name ) Vs. Star Trek 50th Anniversary Sketch by (Insert name)

More than Likey, the sellers are charging more for ARTIST PROOF Sketch Cards than the Regular Pack Inserted Sketches.

The Artist Sell these to Collector & Resellers alike...there are some who won't sell to resellers... I'm always upfront with the artists that It will be for resale.

The Artist Proofs can be the regular card size or as the Artist request them Uncut...that would make the card 4x5...here's my example...

Glebe SPOCK AR at 4x5 next to a regular size cut Glebe Sketch card from RA packs.

All sorts of wonderful factors come into play when Sketch Cards come into Play... RARITY is the Biggest one I can think of... The fewer Cards an artist does...usually the higher the demand....Subject also come into play.... I'd take a Main cast member over a Guest star any day of the week for the most part or an Unnamed Alien.....then there's Personal Taste.... I know collectors who want one card from each artist...I know some who Only want a sketch they can Identify from a Specific episode... the List goes On & on...

There is No Official Site where you can see every sketch Cards but there is a Collector resource where most of them are to be found... Message me for details.....

I'm not off til Thursday, So I have Not Even Begun to Bust Boxes yet...but I don't think the Phaser cards are metal.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The "Rittenhouse Rewards" card from this set is now available...

http://www.scifihobby.com/rewa...log.cfm?SKU=ST50_E10

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:

As Kryten mentioned, unelss the seller specifies with TOS 50th in the title, there is no easy way to tell.
There isn't really a guide. It's sort of seat of the pants thing. If an artist has signed before, you sort of get a feel for what his stuff gets. If it's a good character vs a random scene..quality of sketch. It's really random.
The Phaser cards...gosh, how to describe them. They aren't metal. They are standard, if maybe slightly thinner card stock with an etching (a lot of little holes) of the character. Here is an awful picture I just took. Not intended to show up the quality of the card, just the holes Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Phaser cards...gosh, how to describe them. They aren't metal. They are standard, if maybe slightly thinner card stock with an etching (a lot of little holes) of the character. Here is an awful picture I just took. Not intended to show up the quality of the card, just the holes

Wow, thanks for that - really helpful! :-) Another Q, I see on eBay people are putting them in a sleeve and a top loader - are the 55pt top loaders suitable for all the cards in the whole series (including the metal insert set?)

Posts: 3 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
The metal cards won't fit in the standard top loader. I mean maybe you could stuff them in but I wouldn't try it!
The relic cards won't fit either. Everything else will.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Hi these look like laser cut cards? Maybe Riteenhouse could confirm? Smile

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, Phaser not laser. Big Grin

If they are made of cardboard, I don't think it could anything to revolutionary. I'm not crazy about the picture, but they may look much better in person. Lots of these insert cards don't show up well in a scan.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card which don't fit in standard storage methods should be banned. By actual law.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, Phaser not laser. Big Grin

If they are made of cardboard, I don't think it could anything to revolutionary. I'm not crazy about the picture, but they may look much better in person. Lots of these insert cards don't show up well in a scan.

Please don't make any decision about how good or bad the card is based on that picture. I effectively held it in one hand, put it up to the monitor and very clumsily clicked to take a picture with the other hand. I only offer it to show the holes. I THINK it's cardboard, I try not to mandhandle the cards alot ya know Smile

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Card which don't fit in standard storage methods should be banned. By actual law.

Define standard storage method. I used 4 pocket pages for the relics. I opened them and slid the thicker edge in first then with the next page put the thinner end in first. This allows the thick of one page to line up with the thin of the second page making them...even out a little bit in the binder. The metal cards fit in 9 pocket pages fine. That leaves the two cut signatures which will likely go into a two pocket page leaving the odd man out the 6 case incentive and I imagine it'll fit in a 4 pocket.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Here's a more normal scan of one of the cards Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Define standard storage method. I used 4 pocket pages for the relics. I opened them and slid the thicker edge in first then with the next page put the thinner end in first. This allows the thick of one page to line up with the thin of the second page making them...even out a little bit in the binder. The metal cards fit in 9 pocket pages fine. That leaves the two cut signatures which will likely go into a two pocket page leaving the odd man out the 6 case incentive and I imagine it'll fit in a 4 pocket.

Leaving aside how unbuyable most of those are outside of the US (a constant source of frustration), by the logic of "put all odd-shaped cards into pages which weren't designed for them", everything is fine because it all fits in a shoe box Wink

And all of this counts double for cards which are folded in half.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I have finally got around to Busting some Cases...

Case 1 Box 1...William Shatner Captains Auto! O.K. This is gonna be Fun. Pulled a Nice Mirror Universe Spock by Jason Potratz & a Stamp

Case 2 ...Janeway Auto and 2nd Stamp & Cover Sketch of one of Mudd's Women.

Case 3.... Scott Bakula auto and a Charles Hall Riker Sketch

Case 4.... Avery Brooks auto and a Adam Cleveland sketch of "The Albino" from DS9 : Blood Oath...the episode that brought back Kor, Koloth & Kang from TOS!

Case 5....

Janeway Auto & a Rich Molinelli sketch.

case 6 Sisko Auto and a Frank Kadar Worf sketch

case 7 Archer Auto and a Dan Gorman ODO sketch

Case 8 PICARD! Finally , finished the Captain Set #1.... can't remeber the sketch right now...

I love this set... The Base set is worth Getting! The Dual Relics are RARE.... picked 1 up off eBay to finish the set

& for those of you who need something extra to case after....

Lee Meriweather has a Silver Signature Variant to chase after....

& Wayne Thomas Yorke as Zet has a standard Signature & 2 different Inscriptions to hunt for

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice breaks Kryten. Congrats on the Roddenberry cut.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kryten67 - congratulations - that's awesome what you have found opening the cases.
STCardGeek - would you have a picture of the 4 pocket pages for the relics, or just describe a bit more how you 'opened' them to fit the booklet in there? Would a vertical booklet top loader and team bag work?

I'm more a fan of the show than a card collector, but I think this is one of the best sets I've seen for Trek and fitting for the 50th anniversary. I received my cards and am very happy - the metal cards are heavy! I am not sure that I agree with all the 'greatest' moment selections though (was this picked by some poll?) - like how did 'Naked Now' and 'Skin of Evil' become a Trek 50th 'greatest moment' - if they wanted Tasha Yar to feature - Yesterday's Enterprise was a big omission and a much better choice, in my humble opinion.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I may have phrased that badly, I opened the cards themselves so you can see inside. The 4 pocket pages have their opening at the top. As you can see, I alternated how I slide the cards in so they would stack nicer.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kryten67 - congratulations - that's awesome what you have found opening the cases.
STCardGeek - would you have a picture of the 4 pocket pages for the relics, or just describe a bit more how you 'opened' them to fit the booklet in there? Would a vertical booklet top loader and team bag work?

I'm more a fan of the show than a card collector, but I think this is one of the best sets I've seen for Trek and fitting for the 50th anniversary. I received my cards and am very happy - the metal cards are heavy! I am not sure that I agree with all the 'greatest' moment selections though (was this picked by some poll?) - like how did 'Naked Now' and 'Skin of Evil' become a Trek 50th 'greatest moment' - if they wanted Tasha Yar to feature - Yesterday's Enterprise was a big omission and a much better choice, in my humble opinion.

Thanks!

Rittenhouse asked for Input from Fans to choose the greatest moments.