Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Twin Peaks Complete (Rittenhouse)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/8347051886

October 26, 2017, 03:25 PM
barobehere
Twin Peaks Complete (Rittenhouse)
I just saw the banner on the Rittenhouse Scifihobby page. Anyone know anything besides "Coming 2018"?
February 13, 2018, 12:23 PM
Tommy C
This was posted on the RA forum

For Twin Peaks, we are planning to have synopses and photos for every one of the original episodes, as the title suggests, plus the same for the recent season that just finished airing in 2017. We have commitments for autograph cards of nearly everyone in the starring cast - Kyle Mac., Sheryl Lee, Sherilynn Fenn, James Marshall, Everett McGill, Peggy Lipton, Wendy Robie, and even autographs from David Lynch and David Duchovny! Trying to track down Eric Da Re (aka Leo Johnson), so if anyone knows how to find him, let me know.
February 14, 2018, 11:59 AM
barobehere
Good news!
February 17, 2018, 06:42 AM
monkeyafterdark
Here's to having enough money to really dive in once this set is released. I've always been a disastrous saver... So many cards, so damned many cards!
February 27, 2018, 10:55 AM
cheifbrody
Everett McGill ? any hope of a Killifer, Licence to Kill auto in the future do you think ?
March 27, 2018, 03:38 PM
monkeyafterdark
This is a scan from the current Previews Catalog. No date, no further information. It does offer a first look at the design and some signers.
Looks like a David Lynch card is expected to be part of the release. And I love that they have a Duchovny-in-drag autograph card.

March 27, 2018, 05:01 PM
chesspieceface
Looks like (from the ad, anyway) that the full bleed are vintage photos and borders are from the revival series. Usually, I only get bordered Rittenhouse autos, but I'm likely going to get all of these.

I wonder who will be on the duals?

April 25, 2018, 03:53 PM
Logan
New signer just announced on Rittenhouse's facebook page....

April 25, 2018, 04:09 PM
barobehere
Sweet!
April 26, 2018, 12:02 AM
cheifbrody
I was going for this product big time (still am) but I just noticed two styles of auto, old and new, I was hoping for all original, never mind, at least we get Michael Ontkean.
April 27, 2018, 09:49 AM
monkeyafterdark
On a side-stepping note, now that I see Jim Belushi's signature I suddenly would love to see a Wild Palms card set being published!
I guess that's way too niche to ever see the light of day.
April 27, 2018, 07:34 PM
BrianB
Hello there!!!!!

I wanted to introduce myself. I joined this site BECAUSE of this thread.

The last time I collected cards was about 30 years ago with my father... baseball.

Well, I am a HUGE Twin Peaks fan, and I have a set of the 90s Star Pics, which are "okay," but I am SO, SO, SO excited about this!!!!!!! I already pre-ordered a case of boxes and a case of binders.

My plan was to open everything up to build a set and then sell/trade everything remaining so that I can buy/trade my way to a master set!

Is that how you guys do it? What's the trick? What is the most efficient way to complete something challenging like this without having to spend thousands and thousands of dollars, or is that just the way it is?

Of course, anyone reading this who lives in the Seattle area and is doing the same thing as me PLEASE reach out. We can get together and do an even trade on things to bolster our sets!

Anyway, that is all, just reaching out!

I really can't believe how excited I am about this!

Best,

Brian
April 29, 2018, 08:51 PM
barobehere
You will need to buy an archives box to get a true master set of this. There are a few cards that are exclusive to it. You would have to order 18 cases to get one or find a friendly dealer (many are here on cardtalk) that could help you out.
April 29, 2018, 09:37 PM
Raven
That would revive the discussion about what is a "master set" or a "true master set", if you prefer to call it that. Many collectors would be satisfied that they have a master set, even though archive box exclusives were not included. They simply don't consider those types of cards to even be part of the set.

Then there is the issue of how you count sets that have sketches and printing plates. How much of a sampling of sketches and plates do you need to call it a master or true master?

Finally the idea that the purchase of an archive box provides a "true master set" is also not necessarily accurate anymore. I forget which recent product it was, but one of them had so many cards and hits that the archive box could not contain them all. Collectors are going to have to wait until they release the Twin Peaks checklist to even see what it is they are going to need to arrive at their own version of what complete means for this one.

I only mention this because collecting baseball sets 30 years ago was simple compared to what premium non-sport sets are now. Even the definition of a master set depends on interpretation and one person's master may not be good enough for another collector. I even read the term "advanced collector" the other day. Apparently only advanced collectors should look to complete certain sets. Who knew? Big Grin Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
April 30, 2018, 05:16 AM
hammer
Firstly - Welcome to card talk. Make sure you see on the Rittenhouse Archives web-site what is actually in the set and then check if there are any bonus cards in the rewards section - soon after release (and keep the wrappers).

You should certainly get the majority of the set from a case but based on previous sets you will still need a few autographs.
April 30, 2018, 05:19 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I only mention this because collecting baseball sets 30 years ago was simple compared to what premium non-sport sets are now.

To be fair Non-sport card collecting was simple 30 years ago compared to now
April 30, 2018, 08:57 AM
cardaddict
I was thinking about coming back into the fold and doing this set, but now that I hear about these almost impossible to get cards, I am once again shying away. This is the main reason I stopped collecting.
May 01, 2018, 12:26 AM
BrianB
Wow!!!!!!!!

My head is spinning!!!!!!!

barobehere, how in the world would I meet one of these "friendly" dealers, especially since I am not really in the card collecting fold. Meaning, I'm not going to be collecting any other cards besides these. And, a set that cost $18k to obtain?!?!?!?! I have no idea what that will cost. I am SURE that it will appear on eBay, but I already overspent on the $1k I laid out for the case and binders -- did I make a mistake even ordering that?

I am VERY much a completest. If it's TRULY impossible to "complete," then, well... nothing more to say, actually (or if it costs like $5k or something, LMAO! That's the same thing to me), but if it's possible, I'd really like to try.

So should I focus on getting this "archive set"? What should I do with the case that I ordered? Is it more valuable to hold onto it sealed for a few years and then sell as a profit? Break it up and sell by the box? Or break it up and sell the incomplete sets that it creates?

If I couldn't get an Archive set, then how do I trade my way to a (nearly) complete one? eBay, buy/sell?

I'm really sorry if I sound stupid. I am a vinyl record collector (my main thing); so, I know how hard it is to complete things that are rare and limited. I am very good at it though. That is the main reason that I thought to reach out here, to find people with advice in the KNOW.

I'm a newbie, but NOT newbie enough to know there aren't things you need to know to complete these things. LOL!

Sorry if this is meandering and crazy sounding. I'm not even sure what I'm asking any more.

This is just REALLY important to me and I want to make sure that I make all the right moves while I can as this stuff is released.

(I already sent a SASE to Rittenhouse for the P1 card, and I bought P4 on eBay (it was released at a show on the east coast).

Anyway, thank you guys for the crazy warm welcome!

All the best,

Brian
May 01, 2018, 01:44 AM
Raven
A Twin Peaks archive box won't cost you the price of 18 cases. They are designed to be dealer incentives to compensate for large orders. The dealers will sell them for the best they can get or break them up if they can't find a buyer and don't want to hold them long term.

There is no way to predict the price now, but you can check out eBay to see the broad range of archive box prices from both old and recent products already up. Some go for as little as $600, others as high as $3,500. It all depends on what's in them and how many exclusives may have been included.

For recent products, case incentive cards and exclusives have become common. Twin Peaks has 1 incentive autograph at 6 cases and 1 at 9 cases, along with the 2 in the archive box and the 4 printing plates. That's just so far, you really should wait for the full checklist to be sure. Some dealers will choose to break archives boxes, so it may be possible to pick up all these incentives as single purchases eventually. Because there is a 90 card base set and 2 bonus sets totaling to another 90 cards or so, don't be surprised if 1 case doesn't have a few gaps in the bonus sets either.

I wouldn't necessarily call any of this impossible, but some of it won't be cheap and if I were trying to collect it all, I would regard it as a project, rather than think it can all be gotten right away. However that is just the way I collect because I don't want to be bothered selling duplicates, so I never buy in bulk. There is no right way to buy and no one can tell you how you should buy, but most card collectors will agree that it is more cost effective to pick up what you need with targeted purchases than buy blind and hope what you need is in there. Lots of luck with your quest. Smile
May 01, 2018, 08:24 AM
WOMBLE
Base set features 90 cards, with 3 cards for each of the 30 original episodes! Photos and plot synopses for every episode!

Bonus sets include:
90 Retro Parallel Base Cards (1:12 Packs) (#d to 99 or less)
54 Episode Cards for 2017 Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series (1:8 Packs)
42 Character Cards (1:12 Packs)
15 Quotable Cards (1:24 Packs)
2 "It's Happening Again" Cards (1:288 Packs)

Case Topper: Laura Palmer Memorial Card
6-Case Incentive: Kyle MacLachlan Autograph/Costume Card
9-Case Incentive: Kyle MacLachlan (Cooper)/Michael Ontkean (Truman) Dual Autograph Card 18-Case Incentive: The Complete TWIN PEAKS Trading Cards ARCHIVE BOX, including exclusive BONUSES: Set of 4 color printing plates used to make the front of one base set card, Piper Laurie autograph card as Mr. Tojamura, Sheryl Lee autograph card as Madeleine "Maddy" Ferguson

quote:
Originally posted by BrianB:
Wow!!!!!!!!

My head is spinning!!!!!!!

...but I already overspent on the $1k I laid out for the case and binders -- did I make a mistake even ordering that?

I am VERY much a completest. If it's TRULY impossible to "complete," then, well... nothing more to say, actually (or if it costs like $5k or something, LMAO! That's the same thing to me), but if it's possible, I'd really like to try.

Sorry if this is meandering and crazy sounding. I'm not even sure what I'm asking any more.

This is just REALLY important to me and I want to make sure that I make all the right moves while I can as this stuff is released.

...Brian

An Archive box (from a dealer) is usually the cheapest way of getting most of the cards in a set if you really want ALL the cards. From the RA website there are at least 5 different cards that Kyle MacLachlan has signed, so you need to ask yourself whether you really want all 5 of these similar cards as they are bound to be the more expensive cards.

From the odds above, you will not get a full set of bonus cards in a case, but RA are usually good in that the ones you get are (usually) all different. And others can be picked up from dealers.

If you decide to go another route, keep your case/boxes sealed as that is the best way for them to hold their value and to re-sell them.