Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Toploaders getting expensive????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toploaders getting expensive????
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Now let's have the rundown on English money. I know the pound, but what the heck is a pence? Big Grin

It's a vice president. Big Grin

Then what's a sixpence? Clones? Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Now let's have the rundown on English money. I know the pound, but what the heck is a pence? Big Grin

It's a vice president. Big Grin

Then what's a sixpence? Clones? Big Grin

That's a band Metal

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
With a giftcard balance, points accumulation, and $5 i just bought 1000 pennysleeves. Or should I say .005 sleeves.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well I just acquired 300 penny sleeves for $2 as the dealer had some old stock plus sending me some Mexican made sleeves to evaluate (the company getting these produced is Danish) at present they look and feel just like the sleeves I already have from Ultra Pro that are made in China.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
quote:

So a pound and a quid are the same thing? When I watch a UK show they always interchange those two terms and even in the same sentence.

Yes a pound is the same as a Quid. Quid is slang for a pound

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pence is a sort of slang for penny
EG Thruppense for a 3 penny piece or Tuppence for 2 pennies
Although the UK have decimilised their currency they still use the name New Pence instead of cents
Were other Commonwealth Countries have adopter and changed their currencies to equal from the Stirling to decimal system.
In New Zealand it was decided that the 1 shilling piece nicknamed the bob should equal 10 cents thus 20 shillings or bobs that equalled 1 Pound should now equal 2 dollars
Coins we had were
Penny
Threepence
Sixpence
Shilling 12 Pence
Florin 2 shillings
Half Crown 2 shillings and sixpence (= quarter
10 Shilling Note ( equal $1 )
1 Pound Note ( equal $2 )
We also had Farthings ( Quarter of a penny )
Half Pennies
Crowns equalling 5 shillings but these coins were not used in everyday buisness

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Well I just acquired 300 penny sleeves for $2 as the dealer had some old stock plus sending me some Mexican made sleeves to evaluate (the company getting these produced is Danish) at present they look and feel just like the sleeves I already have from Ultra Pro that are made in China.

regards

John

Curious for the final judgement on these sleeves.

They are Beckett Shield, so they are from the same company as NSU in a round-about way.

The logic being that made in Mexico will keep the supply chain closer at hand instead of relying on shipping containers and the port of entry to get them. They are trucked to the warehouse in Texas.

Just got pages in this week to evaluate. Hopefully toploaders will be coming soons as those are going to be the real challenge to supply right now.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ed

The sleeves are made by Arcane Tinman ApS who also make different sized sleeves for cards used in board games. These sleeves for trading cards are made with the assistance of Beckett hence the name. Clearly Beckett have got involved in accessories for cards.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had to buy some Beckett sleeves last week because the sports card store was completely out of the Ultra-Pro ones. The package opens from the bottom for some reason which means they have all spilled out once already. Other than that, they feel the same and cards seem to slip in a little easier.

Jess

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unless I mixed up my Beckett sleeves with others, in my experience that they don't seem to slip about like the others when putting them in piles which I put down less static electricity being attracted to them. I also find that they open more easily when only using your forefinger and thumb of one hand which means less handling.

regards

John

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky with penny sleeves. Years ago I accidentally ordered a large volume of penny sleeves. I mean I wanted some but....!!! I'm sure I'll run out some day...

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Are supplies still hard to find? I haven't had to look for any in a bit, but I am getting close to needing some.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Are supplies still hard to find? I haven't had to look for any in a bit, but I am getting close to needing some.

It's brutal right now.

BCW lists a 2022 date for having "standard" toploads back in stock.

My supplier has NO stock of any standard card sized topload of any thickness, anywhere in the country. And they have 8 locations.

My local shop limits toploads to 1 per customer, and I think they were $7 last time I was in. Sleeves are getting tough too.

Plastics are going to PPE and all the acrylic shields you are seeing. Plus importing from China is still slow even when they get something made.

If you see some available, I'd grab what you might need.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
COMC is buying used Toploaders. . . yikes.

https://blog.comc.com/2021/03/...der-buyback-program/

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At this point COMC should take just about any standard size top loaders they can get (sticker residue can be cleaned off) and just let their customers know that availability is at an all-time low and they aren't being "disrespectful."

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
COMC is buying used Toploaders. . . yikes.

https://blog.comc.com/2021/03/...der-buyback-program/

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can see this being a bit of a damp squib if they are not going to pay shipping fees as they have said in their comments. They clearly expect something for nothing as implied by some peoples comments.

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I ran out of sleeves and went to a sports card shop today thinking things were better but they were still out of Ultra-Pro and even the Beckett sleeves. They did still have some 100 sleeve packs by another company, Premier - Choice. These don't seem to open as well.

They still have The Mandalorian Season 1 boxes for $175 and just got in Season 2, offering that for $145/box.

posted Hide Post
I found Ultra Pro sleeves at a shop 2 weeks ago for $2 a pack and picked some up. They also had some off brand, but I didn't even inquire about a price on those.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Now that we have a shortage, I've seen mention of fake Ultra Pro products coming from China. That's kind of funny since I always thought genuine Ultra Pro products came from China. Wink

Anyway stories about fake name brand hobby supplies would have been hysterical a couple of years ago. Not anymore. Frown

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
For the Amazon Vine programme I had a look at some sleeves made by "Vault X". They had all the acid-free non PVC disclaimers, so on the face of it, they were safe. However, in the hand, they didn't feel quite as good as Ultra Pro and they couldn't deal with an average thickness costume card, whereas Ultra Pro it's not a problem. I might use them on ordinary case toppers or other inserts, but I'm not sure I'd be 100% happy for higher end cards.
These were also made in China. What isn't? Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post