Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Chronicles of the Three Stooges
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronicles of the Three Stooges
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Richard, have you considered doing a set on the Stooges' early years, 1930-1933, when they did films with Ted Healy ? This began with Moe, Larry and Shemp in 1930's "Soup to Nuts" which is on DVD, and then Curly replaced Shemp around 1932, I believe

All of the solo Stooges shorts and films from 1934 to 1970 are on DVD, but I believe that most of the pre-'34 films are NOT. I was surprised to learn recently that a few of them are actually "lost" films

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected--there ARE no lost Stooges films. A reel of 1933's "Hello, Pop!" was discovered in a garden shed in Australia in 2013, after all copies were thought to be destroyed in 1967, when MGM had a fire. Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Richard, have you considered doing a set on the Stooges' early years, 1930-1933, when they did films with Ted Healy ? This began with Moe, Larry and Shemp in 1930's "Soup to Nuts" which is on DVD, and then Curly replaced Shemp around 1932, I believe

All of the solo Stooges shorts and films from 1934 to 1970 are on DVD, but I believe that most of the pre-'34 films are NOT. I was surprised to learn recently that a few of them are actually "lost" films

Hello David,
Oh yes indeed -- even though the 'pre-stooges' is destined for a subset in series four the framework is already being worked out and the 'legal logistics' with the licensor is in motion. The core/base 190 cards over series 1 through 4 are the 'official' Three Stooges Columbia Pictures shorts, the Healy years... the feature films of the 1940s... and the Curly Joe DeRita feature films will all be covered. Chronicles of The Three Stooges series are being groomed as 'everything'.

'Lost films'... you're right, as I recall the 'complete' DVD set that recently came out did use that phrase. Am not sure what, exactly, the phrase was intended to mean. To the best of my knowledge there are no 'lost' films... but there were some that were never put on VHS or DVD and likely many that were never broadcast when syndicated. Growing up in the 1970s I clearly recall having seen virtually all of the Stooge shorts with Curly and Shemp (when working through this series and watching the DVDs there are some I know for sure I never saw... particularly the 'war years' ones) but once as a kid did I ever see a Joe Besser Columbia short. What's been fun is reviewing the DVDs and finding shorts that I hadn't seen in 40+ years and being almost able to recite the lines from memory when I was about 8 years old. That's just downright FUN! :-)

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Although not an official Stooges film, the 1934 film "Jail Birds of Paradise" which only has Moe and Curly in it, I believe, no Larry, is apparently lost

And yes, the 1933 film "Hello, Pop!" was found in 2013 so that is no longer lost. All 3 Stooges are in that one ! I don't think it is on DVD yet

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone received promos from Richard yet ? Mailed my SASE in awhile back...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am slightly confused by the promos...

There are 4 NSU promos (I have yet to see P2)

Looks like there are 4 different promos through The Wrapper

When you send in the SASE, what do you get ? The NSU promos ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone received promos from Richard yet ? Mailed my SASE in awhile back...

Folks must be getting the promos because I've received thank you emails and messages from those receiving them. Because of the workload at this end writing and designing and such (I'm basically a one-man show for this project) I process out promo mailings once a week filling all received SASE orders. If someone includes an email address I generally try to email them that I received their sase and that their promos are mailed. If someone doesn't include an email address I can't let them know their request for free cards has been processed. You should receive your promos any time now ... the last batch went out Tuesday or Wednesday.
For the most part, all NSU promos went directly to NSU to include as freebies with their last issue. Since fewer promos were needed to fill the needs by The Wrapper most all of the promos I'm sending out are those with The Wrapper logo on the back.
For topics regarding someone's personal order you may wish to use the link at my website... I access those messages quicker than in public forums and blogs.
RRParks

Posts: 45 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although not an official Stooges film, the 1934 film "Jail Birds of Paradise" which only has Moe and Curly in it, I believe, no Larry, is apparently lost

And yes, the 1933 film "Hello, Pop!" was found in 2013 so that is no longer lost. All 3 Stooges are in that one ! I don't think it is on DVD yet

THAT will be fun to see ... "Hello, Pop!". I did some quick googling and couldn't find out anything about a DVD release. Any know anything about it coming out on DVD yet?

Posts: 45 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard. The SASE came today with the Wrapper promos

I still can't find the NSU P2 anywhere, not even on ebay

Can anyone help ????

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Richard. The SASE came today with the Wrapper promos

I still can't find the NSU P2 anywhere, not even on ebay

Can anyone help ????

Thanks for letting me know about NSU P2 distribution. The NSU promos were provided to NSU 'randomized' so issues would have an even mix of all four promos ... rather a mystery as to why P2 isn't showing up. I can assure you there is an even number of all P1 through 4 promos. None are short prints.
In about a month (give or take) the series two promos will start distributing. Mark your calendar to send a SASE around the end of August and with your SASE for series two promos include a note that you need series one P2 and I'll make sure you get one. You're welcome to send a SASE 'now' with a note asking for a series one P2... but you can kill two birds with one SASE by waiting til the end of August when series two promos will be ready.
Thanks,
RRParks

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Richard, actually it is the P3 that I need, not P2. Sorry. One has appeared on ebay finally, so I will bid. Thanks !

posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard, actually it is the P3 that I need, not P2. Sorry. One has appeared on ebay finally, so I will bid. Thanks !

Well, if you WANT to get it on ebay that's cool... but it's yours for FREE with a SASE. Just send a SASE around the end of August and request series one P3 with the series two promos (when available). But, if you want to send an ebay seller money for it that's up to you. Am sure they'll appreciate the sale :-)
RRParks

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Richard,

I received my SASE from you with the Monster Times P1. Some others said that they rec'd the Monster Choke n Gag P2. Is there a P1 on that ? Can I please send you a SASE for the P2 ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard,

I received my SASE from you with the Monster Times P1. Some others said that they rec'd the Monster Choke n Gag P2. Is there a P1 on that ? Can I please send you a SASE for the P2 ?

Sure thing -- be sure to include a note with SASE to remind me. You may want to wait until the end of August as at that time I'll have series two Stooge promos that I can include as well. In any event, when you send the SASE remind me about the Choke n' Gag promo. You can also email me in a non-public forum by going to my website and using the 'contact' link message field. At this time I've had time to check blogs and my website... but when Stooges series one enters crunch time I'll likely not have time to check in on all the blogs and chats and will only be reading my website messages.
RRParks