Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    SW Return of the Jedi 3D set for 2014
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SW Return of the Jedi 3D set for 2014
 Login/Join

Picture of RedFive
posted
Topps has finally announced this long-awaited set:
NYCC Topps announcement

It will also be offered as an "online exclusive", which is different.

I know some people will say "Another SW set"! Well, this is the one I have been waiting for to complete the Original Trilogy 3D sets.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think this is great news but what does online exclusive mean?
Is it a base set that you buy direct from Topps?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Maybe a base set, binder, and sketch card for $100? I think they might sell pretty well at that price, especially if the binder were big enough to hold all three original trilogy 3D sets and had graphics from all three films on it.

I wonder if they'll ever make Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith sets to complete the 3D collection. However, if they don't feel confident selling Jedi 3D in the traditional pack format, I can't imagine sets for Eps. 2 & 3 would be produced anytime soon.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Maybe a base set, binder, and sketch card for $100?

Yes, please. $100 sounds much better than, say, $500 for the set in a Really nice box.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe a base set, binder, and sketch card for $100? I think they might sell pretty well at that price, especially if the binder were big enough to hold all three original trilogy 3D sets and had graphics from all three films on it.

I wonder if they'll ever make Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith sets to complete the 3D collection. However, if they don't feel confident selling Jedi 3D in the traditional pack format, I can't imagine sets for Eps. 2 & 3 would be produced anytime soon.

Really happy these have finally been announced but they should have come out this year, a missed opportunity from Topps to make this set sell better.

$100 is way way too much for the set Eek I was thinking no more than $40 for the set with zero inserts. Preferring a larger base (90 cards at least) with Topps focusing on better 3D and a really high quality selection of images to utilise the 3D.

No fancy collectors box required imho as I'd be putting them with my other 3D sets in my binder. Sick of fancy boxes sitting at the bottom of the cupboard that are empty.

Although I'd love to see AOTC and ROTS 3D sets Topps is very profit orientated and I reckon these are not on the cards (so to speak!). The fact they finally decided to a ROTJ was a big surprise.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Personally all I want is the base set, I hope they don't whack the price up by including sketches and autographs.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that these 3D cards have never actually been cheap, even the ones before the days of autographs and sketches.

The original set came in 3 card packs that were essentially $3.50 per pack, and you pretty much had to buy a whole box to "economically" make a set, that is, for less than $100. You could've spent hundred buying a few packs here and there from different boxes.

The Phantom Menace set came in 2 card packs that were also up around 3 dollars, but since it was a smaller set, they could fit one it into 24 pack boxes, which you could get for $50 to $60.

The only bonuses in these were multimotion cards, one in the New Hope set, and two in the Phantom Menace set, and yet the base sets cost at least $80 and $50 to own when newly issued and can now be had for a little less than that, Phantom Menace especially, but not much less.

With Empire, the more modern 3D set, the cards are thinner, and the presence of the sketch and rare autograhs is probably what enabled them to sell enough boxes to keep the price for a box to about $60, and a 24 pack box (3 cards per pack) would yield a base set...which were then immediately available for a mere $10 on Ebay, since re-sellers were taking their profits from the sketch and autos and not the base sets, a phenomenon we, of course, hadn't seen on the pre-"Hit" era sets.

The point of all this, is that I think these cards are pretty expensive to make, and while the numbers of cards in the previous sets have varied, between 64 (for New Hope) to 48 for Empire and Phantom, I hope they're back to 64 for Jedi, but I suspect it will be 48. Even so, I wouldn't expect that set to sell for less than $50 by itself...unless, there are sketches and autos in this product, in which case the re-sellers will buy en masse, and then proceed to dump the sets as they take their profits from the hits.

In other words, if you want a cheap set of just the base cards, better HOPE there are autographs and/or sketches in these.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

In other words, if you want a cheap set of just the base cards, better HOPE there are autographs and/or sketches in these.

That makes perfect sense, I wish to change my vote. Big Grin

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedFive:
It will also be offered as an "online exclusive", which is different.

I've said more than once that Topps will eventually go the "online exclusive" route on more mainstream products since they make more money that way. Roll Eyes

Unfortunately, not all Star Wars collectors are online at all. Eek

I'm not a fan of cutting out the dealer. And I hate marking up a product I had to purchase at retail when I offer them to collectors at shows that do not buy online. Twak

Sorry Topps, not a fan of this decision. Mad

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post