Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones InfleXions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones InfleXions
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
This is what they are calling the next GoT release so far. It should be Season 8, but that got cut in half and won't pick up for the final run of episodes until shortly around the time this Special Edition should come out. More updates will be made in February, but the main news right now looks something like this . . .

It will be similar to Valyrian Steel, but metal cards were not specifically mentioned, so beyond being limited and high-end the meaning is fuzzy.

There will be lots of dual autographs, more character sketches, gold autographs, auto relic cards and more. These words come straight from Steve Charendoff.

This release will also include a limited signed Emilia Clarke relic card that is described as not an incentive. I am thinking that it could be a cut signature, as was the Jason Momoa in Valyrian. I say that because she has signed for RA only in the First and Second Seasons and that was probably cards done at one time. I doubt they had the foresight to do on-card relics. However Clarke had done signed cards for 258 West Authentics and others early on, so there is licensed autographs to cut if desired. Some of the Momoa cuts were thought to be off of his Conan signature card for example, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed. Anyway a Clarke signed relic will be a big boost.

Finally King Joffrey, better known as Jack Gleeson, will be back from the dead on a dual card with Mommy Dearest, better known as Lena Headey. Nice, but I would rather see Headey and Dinklage. That one may turn up before we are through also.

RA is trying to keep it interesting, but Special Editions are good for fans catching up and rough on collectors who are already there in MHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They've changed the name slightly then, because it was on the release schedule as "Game of Thrones Special Edition".

I'll reserve any excitement until the content is known. Their gimmick alternative autograph card styles are typically unappealing, so if this is full of those, then it's going to be of little interest.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I've amended the title to include Special Edition. At least Valyrian Steel had a ring to it. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
At least Valyrian Steel had a ring to it. Big Grin

Shame about the cards Wink

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:
At least Valyrian Steel had a ring to it. Big Grin

Shame about the cards Wink

Big Grin
Even a cut card Emilia Clarke will probably go for stupid money. I'll hold on to my pack pulled S1 & S2 autos. Cool
I will definitely want to know more before committing to anything with this set. If it was as 'filler' as S7 then they've either got to do 3 autos a box or have something groundbreaking to make me part with much cash. I expect to pick and mix for this set anyway. Cautious and considered. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
RA certainly doesn't seem to be trying to drum up a lot of interest in the GoT Special Edition, as it doesn't even rate a Headline Box on its website yet.

I'm thinking they feel there is probably little need to promote it. Limited product, not much new, and the same base will buy or not buy anyway.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Emilia Clarke autos that 258 West put out and I'm happy with them.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
RA certainly doesn't seem to be trying to drum up a lot of interest in the GoT Special Edition, as it doesn't even rate a Headline Box on its website yet.

I'm thinking they feel there is probably little need to promote it. Limited product, not much new, and the same base will buy or not buy anyway.

Well the product isn't due until at least May, so I imagine they will start promoting it after Discovery is out the door. Steve mentioned on their message board that there would be news in March, so maybe before Discovery's release on the 27th.

You can actually hurt current product sales by releasing too much future product information too soon.

I'm intrigued to hear what "Inflexions" cards are. Both this GoT release and an upcoming Star Trek release have that in the title.

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

You can actually hurt current product sales by releasing too much future product information too soon.

I'm intrigued to hear what "Inflexions" cards are. Both this GoT release and an upcoming Star Trek release have that in the title.

Not sure what you mean by "hurt current product sales". Are you speaking of other products that buyers might pass on because they like something else better coming out later on? Or are you talking about hurting pre-sales by saying too much to buyers about what they are getting in this product?

Because this GoT is looking backwards and is not based on the Season 8 material we haven't seen yet, but can only go as far as the already put out Season 7, I think RA should put it up to announce the one big card it will have, the Clarke signed relic. The set by itself will attract only existing fans, but the Clarke will get more attention. Now if it turns out that this is like a 1/5 cut type card for example, then it won't make much difference.

As for "inflexions", that's a made up name, but so was refrector when it first appeared. To spell as inflex, when not swapped out as inflection, would seem to mean "to bend, to cause to become curved, to make crooked, to deflect". I'm guessing an "inflexion" card will be close to a shadow box, with a curved angle or deeper 3D effect that may or may not approximate motion. We'll have to see if it looks different enough to earn a new name. I know I used to go crazy trying to tell rainbow refrectors from the regular refrectors myself. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
From another forum comes word that the whole Special Edition set is called Mirror Inflexions. Don't know how accurate that is or what it looks like, but were I to guess I would go for something in the shiny refrector family, hopefully an improved version of it.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Definitely just called "InfleXions". The Rittenhouse site has a spot for it on the front page now.

Game of Thrones season 8 set has been added to the release schedule too, date TBD.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some card images have been posted on the product page...

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...fthrones/inflexions/

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Some card images have been posted on the product page...

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...fthrones/inflexions/

If the photos hold true it looks like there will be several cut autograph cards in this one.

All 4 autograph/relic cards from Clarke, Headey, Dinklage and Harington seem to be cuts. Then they mention Archive Cut Cards without saying what that is and there is a different Momoa auto that also appears to be a cut, much like his auto/relic in Valyrian.

Good news is that we finally get character sketches as well as scenic sketches, although I'm sure they will be just as hard to find.

Bad news is that Stamp cards and Artifex Metal Expansion cards are hits and at least a few of those Dual autograph cards are of lesser characters.

Oh yeah, and SRP is $160 a box. Wink

Just changed the subject title again. This had better be the last name. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse's box SRP used to be $84.99 I believe. This is nearly double that. I understand that this is supposed to be a "high-end" set but still, a lot of value has to be packed into most of the boxes (not just a few of them) to make that price tag justifiable.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I don't like the look of the cut autograph cards. I know this might be the only way for some to have a chance at a Clarke card, but I suspect there will be so few that it still won't be realistic. I'm not all that interested in anything other than some autograph cards...needs way too many packs to stand a chance of a base set. This feels exactly what it is, a premium product shoved in to carry over until a S8 set can be released. I'm going to treat this exactly as the other Valyrian Steel set...not invest too much and get a few cards if I like the design and are not too silly in price.
What's the point of a Lena Headey cut card? She's not a rare signer/card to pick up. Confused
I'll like to see what people find and how everything looks, but I will mostly be sitting on the sidelines with my popcorn for this one. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Rittenhouse's box SRP used to be $84.99 I believe. This is nearly double that. I understand that this is supposed to be a "high-end" set but still, a lot of value has to be packed into most of the boxes (not just a few of them) to make that price tag justifiable.

Breaking the $100 per box mark is a big deal to card collectors. Not necessarily because they can't afford it, but because it means they really have to want it. The $100 barrier is a symbol of sorts, which is why $99.99 always sounds better. Big Grin

Card makers shouldn't make card collectors think too hard about wanting cards when none of us really need them. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Speculation is that they made these cuts out of other cards -- I really don't like when one collectible is cut up to make another.

Economics will likely show that this was a wise decision for RA, but I am not a fan.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Speculation is that they made these cuts out of other cards -- I really don't like when one collectible is cut up to make another.

Economics will likely show that this was a wise decision for RA, but I am not a fan.

Very possible, the name does say Archive Cuts. You figure RA held back autographs in every season's release to replace damage cards and missing hits and just maybe overflow not packed. So they cut off the signature portion and mount them in another card. It's been done before, just not using the same maker's cards. Just speculation, but I could see it happening.

If it were true, I personally would prefer that they just put a stamped seal on the original cards and drop them into InfleXions. No gimmick would make a common signer uncommon and I hope they wouldn't think of cutting up better hits, but everyone is looking to do something different. Again, not saying that's what Archives Cuts means, just thinking out loud.

Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
RA actually did this for their Conan Autograph Expansion Set. They cut off the signature from Arnold Schwarzenegger's autograph from Skybox's Batman & Robin and used that to make the Archive Cut autograph card.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People are speculating that the Emilia Clarke autographs are cut from 258 West cards.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post