Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Outlander Season 2 (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlander Season 2 (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Some details confirmed in a news post on Crypto's site a few days ago about their attendance at the Industry Summit in Vegas this week.

Confirmed signers in the short description are Sam Heughan, Duncan Lacroix, and Graham McTavish.

Also says there will be 72 base cards, four chase sets, and costume cards again.

Promo card P3 will be available at the show.

Hopefully this one won't carry quite such absurd autograph prices as the first one did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenheart,

Posts: 795 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The show was the other day, so the P3 is out there already

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do like how their promos come out in funny orders. Presumably there's been one in NSU by now? And I see P2 was at Wondercon.

Posts: 795 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No, the new P1 was at Emerald Con, P2 at Wonder Con and now this one

None in NSU yet

This is for the Season 2 set

There were 5 promos for Season 1 last year

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem like they've got Balfe to sign(yet), which is a shame. What is it with Cryptozoic and not getting the main actors of shows?? The Flash, Arrow etc.
I know we've got Heughan, but the sets do lack Balfe.

I collected several of the autographs from S1, but probably spent more than I wanted to. I'll wait on this one and maybe buy any new signers, and pass on collecting deeper than that for the set.

Posts: 423 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
It doesn't seem like they've got Balfe to sign(yet), which is a shame. What is it with Cryptozoic and not getting the main actors of shows?? The Flash, Arrow etc.
I know we've got Heughan, but the sets do lack Balfe.

It's more likely the actor won't sign or they want so much money it wouldn't make the product profitable. And that's not just this set, but any.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:

It's more likely the actor won't sign or they want so much money it wouldn't make the product profitable. And that's not just this set, but any.

Makes sense. Didn't Stephen Amell get listed for Arrow, then CZE suddenly pulled his name from the list? So it might have been either an agent/manager, or the actor themselves, wanting too much in fees and it would have blown the set.
Still a shame, though...

Posts: 423 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:

Makes sense. Didn't Stephen Amell get listed for Arrow, then CZE suddenly pulled his name from the list? So it might have been either an agent/manager, or the actor themselves, wanting too much in fees and it would have blown the set.
Still a shame, though...

Amell was basically the reason Crypto stopped pre-announcing signers before they had the cards in hand. Too many pulled out of their agreements, and he was the last straw.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I collected several of the autographs from S1, but probably spent more than I wanted to. I'll wait on this one and maybe buy any new signers, and pass on collecting deeper than that for the set.

I managed four from the first set at reasonable prices (O'Mearain, McGucken, Verbeek, Fleet). I remain confident I will one day acquire Annette Badland and Douglas Henshall, I just need the handful of UK dealers who stocked it to wake up to the fact that they're asking double the prevailing rate for those two.

All the others either seem to have disappeared completely, or are absurdly priced.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:

I managed four from the first set at reasonable prices (O'Mearain, McGucken, Verbeek, Fleet). I remain confident I will one day acquire Annette Badland and Douglas Henshall, I just need the handful of UK dealers who stocked it to wake up to the fact that they're asking double the prevailing rate for those two.

All the others either seem to have disappeared completely, or are absurdly priced.

I sourced most of mine from the US, from a couple of dealers that I knew would be 'helpful' with Customs. Wink So even with the poor exchange rate lately, I saved a lot.
It also helped that a lot of US sellers didn't have a clue about the actors on the autograph cards, thinking them less value than the UK and European market rated them...in the first few weeks of release, anyway.

I'm surprised some of the UK sellers on evilbay haven't claimed Brexit reasoning for their prices. Wink Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sourced most of mine from the US, from a couple of dealers that I knew would be 'helpful' with Customs. Wink So even with the poor exchange rate lately, I saved a lot.
It also helped that a lot of US sellers didn't have a clue about the actors on the autograph cards, thinking them less value than the UK and European market rated them...in the first few weeks of release, anyway. Wink Big Grin

I am amazed at the prices for the hits in this set and have come to the conclusion that it is practically all UK demand.

This show is on STARZ, which is not big cable here. I'm sure it has great ratings for that network, but I don't know how it breaks down domestically and internationally. I hear no one talking about it at all in my circles, but that of course might just be my circles. Wink

One thing is for sure, STARZ is waiting too long to debut Season 3. It might start in September, they are not sure. People have short attention spans and they will move on, especially since the plot is supposed to switch times again.

I don't know the books this show is based on, but I guess it could be called romance time travel Big Grin . The supporting actors, as noted, may be well known in the UK, but not so in the US. The prices of these cards may get US dealers to take more notice of the new release, but I feel it is still going to be a primarily European market than is interested.

Remember what happened to Spartacus on STARZ. That show also debuted very well and got cancelled in I think 3 seasons after delays. Perhaps a little different since the lead actor was ill, died and was replaced, but it was their biggest hit for a very brief period and the cards were nice too.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I am amazed at the prices for the hits in this set and have come to the conclusion that it is practically all UK demand.

You'd think, but no. Most UK dealers didn't even bother ordering it because there was such low interest.

As a show it's really unknown here because it's exclusive to Amazon Prime Video, and has never been broadcast on TV.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
It also helped that a lot of US sellers didn't have a clue about the actors on the autograph cards, thinking them less value than the UK and European market rated them...in the first few weeks of release, anyway.

I'm surprised some of the UK sellers on evilbay haven't claimed Brexit reasoning for their prices. Wink Big Grin

I managed that with James Fleet, but everyone else Stateside I found with good card prices, used stupidly expensive international shipping options which doubled the cost of the card. Still haven't found a Douglas Henshall with anyone who doesn't use eBay's silly international shipping program.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You'd think, but no. Most UK dealers didn't even bother ordering it because there was such low interest.

As a show it's really unknown here because it's exclusive to Amazon Prime Video, and has never been broadcast on TV.

That being the case, I don't get it, unless its just a matter of the product being so short that any demand exceeded the supply.

If not many people can see it in the UK, and its not burning up the TVs in the US, then either whoever is watching it must all be card collectors or the cards have their own audience. Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both seasons are available on DVD and BluRay in the UK. So the huge legion of book fans are probably watching in that way, if they do so. Season 2 didn't end all that long ago really. At one time we always had to wait a full year for another season of a show.

No idea who the demographic is buying the cards, or what percentage of fans even know about trading cards, but I do know, as I mentioned somewhere else on here weeks back, that the cards were short runs, especially on the costume cards.
I think this Season 2 set was originally set for May-ish, for me that's way too close to the S1 set...financially. Unless S1 sold badly and they already have the cards and need to get the product out, hoping the collectors are still thirsting for more cards, and are not all bankrupt yet. Wink

If you read a variety of fantasy, sword & sorcery and even classic books or comics, these are the huge inspirations for most of the shows on TV at the moment and in the past. If books aren't your thing, then it's likely that some of the shows are a mystery as to their popularity. Big Grin
So a lot of titles have a big following sometimes years before TV even thought about buying the rights. I remember being on an Ice & Fire forum in the early 2000s, talking about the Game of Thrones books, and the forum having votes on the actors we'd love to see in the parts, never imagining that it would ever actually happen. (I believe Sean Bean and Jeremy Irons were the short list for Ned Stark Smile )

I did read a funny review for Outlander that was kind of true. Someone said that it seems only nurses or people with healing knowledge seem to go back in time, and once there in the wild highlands of Scotland everyone is trying to rape Claire Randall, except for an Aberdeen Angus and that was a close run thing. Big Grin (That's a type of cattle BTW). It's never going to be that cerebral(although the ditsy author would like you to think it is!) but there's something sort of charming in its absurdity that keeps me watching the show. Big Grin
But with GoT S6 soon released I won't be saving up much for S2 of Outlander.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you read a variety of fantasy, sword & sorcery and even classic books or comics, these are the huge inspirations for most of the shows on TV at the moment and in the past. If books aren't your thing, then it's likely that some of the shows are a mystery as to their popularity. Big Grin

You got that right for sure. Big Grin

And even though I love GoT, I have no desire to go back and read the books, assuming that Georgie boy ever gets over his writer's block and finishes the thing. Wink

At this point it probably doesn't matter. The screenwriters will be done before he is and no one will know what he was really going to write for the final books. Sure he will say they followed his outline, but they have already changed the story from what he published. Certainly he won't change any good ideas that the producers film before he catches up to them.

posted Hide Post
This will sound sacrilegious, especially as I'm a book worm, BUT at this point I don't really care if GRRM finishes his books or not. The TV have done a great job on condensing and making clear what at times was a rambling sprawling mess. Books 1-3 were brilliant and worth reading again...4 & 5 nope snore-fest.
I really didn't need chapter after chapter of diarrhea descriptions or putting Tyrion through being a pig-riding dwarf circus act.
Too many new characters were getting POV chapters when they were too boring to warrant it.

My only gripe is the lack of Lady Stoneheart for the TV(so far), but for the most part they've improved the material. I'm happy that they've got the essence of the world right and GRRM must mostly agree with them, so that's good enough for me. Smile

I've only flicked through a couple of the Outlander books and wanted to laugh at the so obvious twee attempt at making sure you knew which character was Scottish: "Och ey, it's a wee thing to be sure. I kennee know where to start." However, the books would make good doorstops. So for their recycling value, they're environmentally friendly. Wink Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The screenwriters will be done before he is

Unless they go on strike Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
More signers confirmed in the "please order this" bulletin sent to dealers:

Stanley Weber
Claire Sermonne
Scott Kyle
Nell Hudson
Tobias Menzies

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The screenwriters will be done before he is

Unless they go on strike Wink

Strike's off, they learned from last time.