Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    RD Jr rolling on a true auction.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RD Jr rolling on a true auction.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I still have a lot of stuff I'd never sell.
However, when there's a lot more money in something than I thought there was, it makes me less sentimental somehow.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All good.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That was fast. Congrats. Thumb Up

If I had RDJ Ironman auto I'd cash in now too. In the greater scheme of things, we don't often get the opportunity to make that much on a card within that few years.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, pretty much one week exactly from here to Hong Kong with full insurance and online tracking that was updated every step of way for about $75, not too bad, even if the package only weighed about 8 ounces, tops.

Considering the previous auction had 3 apparently serious bidders at or over 3k and mine had two bidders near 3k, it's safe to say that (for now, anyway, in the immediate afterglow of Avengers:Endgame) the RDJ Stark version is worth about $2,500 on the low end to $3,000 on the high end. If that's true, it's very likely the most valuable single non-sports card (certainly non one-of-kind like a cut signature) of the modern era. At least, I can't think of any non 1/1 that would be worth more.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The only other non-cut that immediately comes to mind to me would be the Harrison Ford Stellar Signature cards, which are not 1/1s.

However Stellar was not sold as a traditional product, so its still very different then pulling RDJ from a pack. Plus the buy-in price on a Stellar set is so astronomical as to make topping the peak opening values almost impossible on all the bigger names.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The triple Harry Potter autograph sold for $4000+ on a few occasions in the past. Not quite that high with the last couple of sales though. But I agree, I'm as big a Downey fan as anyone (particularly in that role), but if I had one of his autographs right now I would most certainly try to sell it. I highly doubt it's going up from here. Prices will drop in time so you have to take that large a sum while you have the chance. Congrats on the sale.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
And I thought we were collectors just for the fun of it.

I say that as a joke, please don't throw your Downey and Clarke and Ford and Reynolds autographs at me!

Wait...on second thought...

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
And I thought we were collectors just for the fun of it.

We are but anything worth over $2000 is too much fun for us to handle. Razz Big Grin

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Arrrrrr! Keep the cards or sell them! I'd just spend the money on bills and then not have the cards. It is extremely tempting though.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The RDJ card in the original post is the only non-sport card I regret selling in my years of collecting.

If memory serves, I sold it for $175 (which should tell you how long ago it was!). I had picked it up for $125, so the profit was an easy sell for me when I decided to simply not finish the master set.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yep, that was a "hold" as it turned out, but at the time, a 40% profit wasn't too shabby.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I have noticed that over the past year or so prices have really started to move on our little hobby.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
People literally love this Iron Man autograph card 3000.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
The RDJ card in the original post is the only non-sport card I regret selling in my years of collecting.

If memory serves, I sold it for $175 (which should tell you how long ago it was!). I had picked it up for $125, so the profit was an easy sell for me when I decided to simply not finish the master set.
I've never had an RDJ card but I did pull two Emilia Clarke autos from GoT Season 2. One I sold for around £95 and the other, I think, for slightly more. At the time, June 2013, the money came in useful. Looking at listings today for the same card...does not bring a smile to my face. Hindsight is a wonderful thing Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is definitely interesting. . .

Certain cards like RDJ are really taking off, but other cards don't seem to be doing much of anything.

I'm wondering will other cards like the Angelina Jolie autograph take off like RDJ did or . . . not.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On everything I regularly look at prices have pretty much gone down across the board. The only two cards that stand out to me as taking off in price have been Downey and Emilia Clarke. Star Trek, Walking Dead, Buffy, Firefly, and a bunch of other titles have all gone down a bit from what I've seen. But that makes it a great time to be a buyer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
On everything I regularly look at prices have pretty much gone down across the board. The only two cards that stand out to me as taking off in price have been Downey and Emilia Clarke. Star Trek, Walking Dead, Buffy, Firefly, and a bunch of other titles have all gone down a bit from what I've seen. But that makes it a great time to be a buyer.

I think some of the Harry Potter stuff is climbing too.

Also a lot of the new Marvel stuff is maintaining much higher prices than I would have expected a few years ago.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also see cards that never seem to drop in price -- like the Stephen King Goodwin autograph.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's just like everything else. If you are holding the right certified autograph cards, and you got them either straight out of the pack or came in at a very early buy price, you are probably pleased now. You probably only have one or two of them also, not a 50 card count buy, like we used to do with older sports cards.

For the large majority of certified autograph cards, including stars of once hot and now gone TV shows, you are lucky if they held. Most have gone down, especially if you made the mistake of buying individually at peak.

I know you all want to celebrate the exceptions and you have already mentioned several, but they are exceptions. I agree with Logan's comment and people should be realistic. Non-sport cards are a hobby to be enjoyed. If you can sell something later on and make money, good for you. As someone who has tried to sale autographs, I can tell you first hand it's not an investment. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I don't follow Star Wars much, but I have also been reading that Mark Hammill autographs are climbing quickly -- someone said they were approaching Harrison Ford prices.