Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
RD Jr rolling on a true auction.

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/8127033196

January 26, 2020, 12:17 PM
webjon
RD Jr rolling on a true auction.
A Jennifer Lopez Pop Century autograph with a pretty badly cut off signature just sold for $207.

I was surprised to see it that high.
January 26, 2020, 02:37 PM
Raven
Lopez had a hit movie last year and she's headlining the Super Bowl half time show on Sunday. Her sticker autographs are fairly limited and have been in the $200 - $300 before. Sounds more reasonable than prices for people with a lot less going for them.
January 26, 2020, 10:48 PM
webjon
Jennifer Lopez autographs were selling in the $50s just a few years ago (I paid $58 for the last one I bought), this is another example of an autograph that has risen in price recently -- even this base autograph with a cut off signature.
January 27, 2020, 01:19 AM
catskilleagle
In December, I noticed that a Scorpion King A1 The Rock autograph card went for $510 a couple of months before. It got 23 bids. The current Beckett Almanac has it valued at $125-250.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I didn't realize the Rock's SCORPION KING autograph card was worth that much. I'd let mine go for a thousand dollars less. Maybe even a thousand and one dollars less.

It is getting interesting. Some of the stuff that was always around (even in small quantities) seems to be gone these days. I picked up the SK Rock auto for about $125 several years ago. I can see this one being worth more but I'm sure I could plan a trip to somehow meet the rock for less than 14k. Wink

January 27, 2020, 10:29 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Jennifer Lopez autographs were selling in the $50s just a few years ago (I paid $58 for the last one I bought), this is another example of an autograph that has risen in price recently -- even this base autograph with a cut off signature.

That's what collectable cards are supposed to do, go up in price. There are two big components though. First, it can't come out at a peak price that it will never again attain. Second, demand must go up, at least for periods of time, so that the buyer competition brings in both higher price points and lulls.

Jennifer Lopez is really a perfect example to use. She is the good looking, hot celebrity that has a lot of demand just on those merits. So she would be one of the better signers in any product, but then she fell off. She got a little older, her movies generally stunk, other women singers started to replace her, she was still well known, but turning into a Vegas lounge act.

Now she's HOT and back. The Super Bowl show is a big deal, she's marrying ARod, movies want her again. That her autographed cards are selling higher actually makes perfect sense for now, it's the way the hobby is supposed to work.

If you were to walk around trying to sell her autograph card for $250 or RDJ's for $1,500, which one do you think you'll sell faster? I know the one I'd buy if I had to. Wink
January 27, 2020, 05:34 PM
catskilleagle
Part of Jennifer Lopez' resurgence is that she might be a little nicer than she used to be. I don't really know but I was told she used to be the kind of celebrity who demanded things like a bowl of M&M's in her dressing room but the green ones had to be picked out first. Being on "American Idol" might have softened her attitude. She was always sympathetic to young dancers trying to break into show business, as she once was, so meeting with all those hopefuls face-to-face might have been a reminder of her early days and how long ago that was.

Her singing career was based in dance music which doesn't require a good singer. It's a lot of percussion and effects. It's also hard to dance and sing energetically at the same time but I heard her sing last year and realized that she's a better singer than she used to be. I remember she did get some help years ago from her then-husband in learning to sing in Spanish.

Yeah, she still looks great too - always a plus in show business.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

That's what collectable cards are supposed to do, go up in price. There are two big components though. First, it can't come out at a peak price that it will never again attain. Second, demand must go up, at least for periods of time, so that the buyer competition brings in both higher price points and lulls.

Jennifer Lopez is really a perfect example to use. She is the good looking, hot celebrity that has a lot of demand just on those merits. So she would be one of the better signers in any product, but then she fell off. She got a little older, her movies generally stunk, other women singers started to replace her, she was still well known, but turning into a Vegas lounge act.

Now she's HOT and back. The Super Bowl show is a big deal, she's marrying ARod, movies want her again. That her autographed cards are selling higher actually makes perfect sense for now, it's the way the hobby is supposed to work.

If you were to walk around trying to sell her autograph card for $250 or RDJ's for $1,500, which one do you think you'll sell faster? I know the one I'd buy if I had to. Wink

February 03, 2020, 04:14 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Part of Jennifer Lopez' resurgence is that she might be a little nicer than she used to be./QUOTE]

Maybe, but that's not what she was trying to showcase at the Super Bowl. Big Grin

Look for her autograph cards to go up again. Wink
February 03, 2020, 04:20 PM
Tommy C
Am I reading this correctly ?

Did this sell for $ 1,250 ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-...rksid=p2047675.l2557
February 03, 2020, 04:46 PM
Raven
I think there is something wrong with that Trump listing price. The DT1 sold in December for $499, don't see this one at all in sold items. Also there doesn't seem to be a buyer shown, just a seller.

He does have other autographs in the $800 range. Would expect them to hold or go up, he's certainly making enough news. Big Grin
February 03, 2020, 05:08 PM
Tommy C
The Trump card at issue is listed as having sold on Jan 11. Do a completed search by Trump Comic Images.
February 03, 2020, 05:19 PM
Raven
Oh yeah, don't know why it didn't come up under Trump autograph DT1. Anyway it looks like the $1,250 was crossed out and Best Offer accepted. So I don't know if you can tell the actual price paid. I doubt anyone would pay anywhere near that much because his signature is not really rare now and you know he will be signing even more for his 2020 campaign.
February 03, 2020, 05:20 PM
Logan
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Am I reading this correctly ?

Did this sell for $ 1,250 ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

The offer accepted was $750.
February 17, 2020, 08:16 AM
webjon
The last few Steve Irwin autographs I see have brought between $1000 and $1400. A big jump since the last time I looked. This one is graded, and brought $1400 -- perhaps a bit higher because of the grade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BGS-9...tograph/164075250620

An ungraded card from the same seller brought $999: 163929368192
February 17, 2020, 10:22 AM
barobehere
quote:
The last few Steve Irwin autographs I see have brought between $1000 and $1400. A big jump since the last time I looked. This one is graded, and brought $1400 -- perhaps a bit higher because of the grade.

I remember I was at the Philly Show over 15 years ago (with former cardtalk member, Dobby the house Elf, and he was debating on getting the Steve Irwin because it was 100 bucks. I remember he was able to grab it around 80 because he bought the Sleepy Hollow Danny Elfman auto with it.
February 17, 2020, 10:44 AM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:

I remember I was at the Philly Show over 15 years ago (with former cardtalk member, Dobby the house Elf, and he was debating on getting the Steve Irwin because it was 100 bucks. I remember he was able to grab it around 80 because he bought the Sleepy Hollow Danny Elfman auto with it.

Great pick up -- I wish I would have bought more of these when the wax was dumped.

For a long time, well after his passing you could still find these autos for around $300.