Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Perspective
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Perspective
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NonSportCardGuy26:
Maybe Dave can speak up and let us know how MANY different ones there are. That would at least be helpful knowing if the 3 found already are it or if we should continue sorting through all our base

That would be nice. I found the Anakin and I do believe I have that Leia, too. After finding a pic of it on feebay, I recall pulling that one.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
For the baseball cards, they usually like to let the collectors/dealers find them, and then sometimes they'll issue a full confirmed list a few weeks after release. I'm sure they feel that if they issued a release now, within the first few days of going live, that would defeat the purpose of having these at all.

With the baseball cards, the variations can be entirely different card fronts like these from Star Wars, but more often the variation is the lettering in the name, or the color of the box that it is in, or even the color behind the player. One popular variation in Topps Baseball recently was the "diamond sparkle". This was a little tiny highlight on an otherwise regular card, inconspicuously placed, and found on certain star players. It basically looked like a little circular pencil erasure, but the cards were found only one per case (not one of each player per case, but just one card total), and, given their scarcity within what it otherwise a huge run of cards, they immediately attained a high value, particularly the cards of the most popular players.

I mention this because a lot of these variations really are tough to spot. It'll be interesting to see how far Topps is willing to go with Star Wars variation. I think some people will like it and some will hate it, but it'll definitely have people checking those base cards a little closer, and in something I find pleasing on a personal level, the base card variations would be some of the only insert cards ever issued that are completely immune to pack searching. You may not be seeing so many of the unopened (sketch removed, as advertised) pack lots for this product.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Looks like the known SP variations are
76 (Darth Vader)
96 (Luke Skywalker)
125 (Princess Leia)

The variation cards show Anakin in "Jedi Purge" (76)
Luke in "Stormtrooper Disguise" (96) and Leia "Despair on Hoth" (125)

I wonder how often they are found. I like it also that the four promo cards from Celebration 6 show different images than were ultimately used in the set. So with those 4, and the 3 known variant, a truly complete base set is really 357 cards.

Factually speaking, the variations and promos would not be considered part of the base set. Part of a master set, but not base set.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the baseball cards, they usually like to let the collectors/dealers find them, and then sometimes they'll issue a full confirmed list a few weeks after release. I'm sure they feel that if they issued a release now, within the first few days of going live, that would defeat the purpose of having these at all.

With the baseball cards, the variations can be entirely different card fronts like these from Star Wars, but more often the variation is the lettering in the name, or the color of the box that it is in, or even the color behind the player. One popular variation in Topps Baseball recently was the "diamond sparkle". This was a little tiny highlight on an otherwise regular card, inconspicuously placed, and found on certain star players. It basically looked like a little circular pencil erasure, but the cards were found only one per case (not one of each player per case, but just one card total), and, given their scarcity within what it otherwise a huge run of cards, they immediately attained a high value, particularly the cards of the most popular players.

I mention this because a lot of these variations really are tough to spot. It'll be interesting to see how far Topps is willing to go with Star Wars variation. I think some people will like it and some will hate it, but it'll definitely have people checking those base cards a little closer, and in something I find pleasing on a personal level, the base card variations would be some of the only insert cards ever issued that are completely immune to pack searching. You may not be seeing so many of the unopened (sketch removed, as advertised) pack lots for this product.

Topps has been doing photo variations in a lot of base-like sets to add value. For example, 2012 Topps Series 1 and Series 2 Baseball each had more than 20. These variations have a different picture (past years have had other differences like the sparkle) and usually sell for $5 to $20. While not everyone is a fan, it's tough to complain when you compare it to the $0.25 base card it replaces in the pack.

I'm intrigued to see how they're received on this side of the hobby.

2012 Topps WWE had variations for #7 Mick Foley. There were three other versions for his different in-ring personas: Mankind, Cactus Jack and Dude Love. His autographs also have the same variations, signed appropriately also.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Anyone kind enough to post a pic of the regulars and variations?

Gracias, Amigo. Wave

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Roswellian
posted Hide Post
Sorry if this has already been disclosed, but were the quantities released for the autograph cards? How many did each individual sign?

Posts: 126 | Location: New York | Registered: November 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up 9 retail packs...

16 cards per jumbo pack
135 commons (117 singles, 18 dupes, 0 variations)
9 chase (1 per pack)
(4 BF, 2 CL, 1 DF, 1 GM, & 1 HB)
0 sketch
Autos & patches not available in retail.

Overall grade C
Pros: Quality stock. GM & HB chase.
Cons: Price & quantity, most of the chase cards can easily get lost among the commons. No retail exclusives?

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
quote:
Looks like the known SP variations are
76 (Darth Vader)
96 (Luke Skywalker)
125 (Princess Leia)

The variation cards show Anakin in "Jedi Purge" (76)
Luke in "Stormtrooper Disguise" (96) and Leia "Despair on Hoth" (125)

I wonder how often they are found. I like it also that the four promo cards from Celebration 6 show different images than were ultimately used in the set. So with those 4, and the 3 known variant, a truly complete base set is really 357 cards.

Factually speaking, the variations and promos would not be considered part of the base set. Part of a master set, but not base set.

Actually this is not true. Both the dealers and collectors in the sports card arena understand and acknowledge that rare variants are NOT considered part of a master set. (using heritage baseball as an example) - the heritage bb cards were found one in several cases and i expect these to be just as rare.

Posts: 47 | Location: indiana | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
That is just semantics on what someone considers a "master" set. Either way, those variations should not be considered part of the "base" set.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
Seeing the variation cards go for around 50$ on ebay now, according to the info i got they are found 1 in every case or two, that means they are quite rare.

Overall this product seemed to be a real gamble for those who bought a case, I think if You buy a case there should at least be one big card, a masterpiece sketch or a big auto.

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
$50 is definitely the early bird price (that is, higher than they will eventually sell for).

Now that people know about them, more will show up and the price will settle in at about $20 per, maybe even $50 for the whole set, in my opinion.

The baseball card variations have a much more volatile value as the stock of the player depicted can rise and fall throughout the season (and ultimately thoughout the player's careers). I mean, Luke, Vader, and Leia, there's not really anything than can happen to change their popularity in either direction as is the case with active baseball players who can for example break a record, win a world series, or, in the other direction, get caught using performance enhancing drugs or suffer off-field troubles.

Early bird purchasers of the Galactic Files base set online, however, may have a nice bonus when they check their sets. It's a good bet at least a few sets went out with at least one of the variants in it, that is, sets that were collated and packaged in the several day period between the time the cards were released and the variations became widely known.

But even if the cards are one per case, there are at least 12,000 boxes of this, so 1000 cases. That would mean well over 300 of each variation, scarce certainly, but by no means rare.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtime:
Anyone kind enough to post a pic of the regulars and variations?

Gracias, Amigo. Wave

Here are the 3 variants:

And here are the 4 Celebration promos while I'm at it. These images were not used in the regular set.

As for these cards not being part of the "regular" set, sure I agree with that, but there's no way I'm collecting the 350 card set and not getting these 7. I was able to get the Celebration promo sets for about $6 bucks each right when they were released and I got enough of them to go with all the sets I should make out of my case tomorrow.

I picked up all 3 variants in one shot today for well under $40 for the set, including shipping. I think the price will come down even more from there in the short term as the market gets flooded (before rebounding once all the packs are opened and they make their way into "permanent" sets), but not knowing how many of them will be in my own case, I didn't want to have to hunt any of them down later as these are pretty much required for my set. So even if I've overpaid for them, it's no more than I've likely done for the rest of this series. It'll depend on exactly what I get, and it is a gamble. I was 50/50 on just getting the master base and regular chase sets for around the price of one box, but I really wanted some autographs from this series, especially one (or two!) of the big ones, so I went for the case. Hopefully I can recoup a lot of the funds with the sketches and patches since neither are really the kinds of Star Wars cards I collect. I'm not too keen on saving the parallels either unless they are of my favorite characters, but I'm really anticipating seeing all of the base cards and regular inserts. I've tried not to look too closely at them when I've come across them online, as I'm hoping to be surprised by at least some of the images as I'm opening the packs.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
The images help.

Still have two boxes to open, and pulled a 1/1 GOLD parallel of Yoda #21 last night.

Mucho Gracias. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So are there 3 variants or 4 ? Someone also said there was a card #88...

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
That card number was incorrect. Stewbaca first reported the Vader card which is card 76.

posted Hide Post
This is great, does Topps ever issue a true check list showing all variants or is it up to the user community to provide?

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think they have released lists of the variants for the Heritage Baseball sets in the past, but those sets have scores of variants, so it really is a public service for them to do so. With this set, it might only be the three, so I doubt they'll ever mention it officially.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the newest variant-

quote:
New from The Topps Vault: Official Topps Vault First Edition Cards. This exclusive offer available only through eBay features special blank back cards created for each base card from the 2012 Topps Star Wars card set. This online-only promotion is limited to just one of each base card and unlike cards pulled from packs, these special one-of-one cards carry no text on the reverse.

Each card bears the official Topps embossed seal and is shipped in a sturdy lucite card holder. The reverse of each card contains an official Topps serial numbered hologram. Each card is also hand-numbered 1/1 on the reverse. The only way for Baseball fans to obtain these one-of-one 2012 Topps Star Wars blank back cards is by bidding in these exclusive Topps Vault/eBay auctions. So don't delay, place your winning bid today! A certificate of authenticity accompanies all Topps Vault auction lots.

Posts: 3 | Location: AZ | Registered: October 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-weed:
Here is the newest variant-

quote:
New from The Topps Vault: Official Topps Vault First Edition Cards. This exclusive offer available only through eBay features special blank back cards created for each base card from the 2012 Topps Star Wars card set. This online-only promotion is limited to just one of each base card and unlike cards pulled from packs, these special one-of-one cards carry no text on the reverse.

Each card bears the official Topps embossed seal and is shipped in a sturdy lucite card holder. The reverse of each card contains an official Topps serial numbered hologram. Each card is also hand-numbered 1/1 on the reverse. The only way for Baseball fans to obtain these one-of-one 2012 Topps Star Wars blank back cards is by bidding in these exclusive Topps Vault/eBay auctions. So don't delay, place your winning bid today! A certificate of authenticity accompanies all Topps Vault auction lots.

Topps did this with the past few Galaxy releases.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I spoke to someone who broke a case, and he pulled only 1 of each of the 3 variants. He then sold them for $ 10 per card.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post