Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Perspective
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Perspective
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I really hope they have some big name artists to add for Galactic Files. I totally agree that on reflection, the 30th anniversary artist list they had was excellent. I don't think even one of the 'bigger' names has been confirmed for Galactic Files yet.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think people may be underestimating the interest in the manufactured patches. I don't know if Topps is going to tier their rarity like Upper Deck did with they Animal patches, but some of those go for $500+. And those were cards of animals in a baseball set (I forget what the set was called).

As a collector, I think these Star Wars patches are a cool idea. Look at them like an insert that's rarer than the 1:4 foil cards. If there is some real scarcity to them, they could hold nice value down the road. The Luke and Leia /100 cards from Evolution still command around $200 each. If some of these are as rare, or if the set is large enough, I don't see why they wouldn't be desired.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
In my educated opinion, you are looking at $15-$25 ea on the manufactured patches. There may be a couple sp's that could fetch decent money, but I doubt it.

With the severe lack of info on big name artists, I am only in for a case of this...mostly as a gamble that preorders will be short and the product will over-deliver.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on Topps history I don't want to take a gamble on this set. In the last Galaxy set I purchased a case and got 4 mid-level sketches, 4 low-level sketches, no autographs and no plates. I understand there were some great cases but not enough. I am a collector and very rarely sell anything. I'm getting a case of Mars Attacks because of the reasonable price. I just can't take a chance with $1,200...ebay here I come!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Tirohn:
Based on Topps history I don't want to take a gamble on this set. In the last Galaxy set I purchased a case and got 4 mid-level sketches, 4 low-level sketches, no autographs and no plates. I understand there were some great cases but not enough. I am a collector and very rarely sell anything. I'm getting a case of Mars Attacks because of the reasonable price. I just can't take a chance with $1,200...ebay here I come!

It's a definite gamble, and one does have to ask, is one case of this Perspectives worth the goodness that three cases or Mars Attacks would produce for the same cost? Just by the odds, for the same money (or less), the three cases of Mars Attacks would yield one Len Brown autographed card, 24 sketch cards, 5-6 of the parallel gold cards and you'd have half a chance at a printing plate, not to mention a wealth of base sets that are sure to hold collector value in years to come, as has been the case with the mid 90's "Mars Attacks Archives" which was fantastic but from the time before the modern innovations that will power this new set to excellent sales.

That's it, I'm canceling my Star Wars case and picking up two more Mars Attacks!

Actually, I'll stick with the Star Wars (but I do have one Mars Attacks coming), but it absolutely IS a gamble, and the chance, however small, to get completely burned is totally in place, as always. All Topps sets hold risks and when you're in at over $1000 for a case, it's doubly true. Still for the same number of Star Wars 30th hits, (4 autographs & 4 sketches), that could be achieved with only 4 boxes of Perspectives ($400) and some luck (a sketch and auto, no patches, in each box), but even by the strict odds, you should have case worth of of 30th autos (4) after purchasing 8 boxes or Perspectives ($800), but you would also have twice as many sketches as a $400 case of 30th yielded, which was 4. Sure, the 30th sketch roster boasted all-star talent, but artists generally raise their games for Star Wars, anyway, and I've already seen some good work for this set, so I think it will compare favorably to the 30th set.

One example of a time I was sure I'd be happy with a pre-order was with Lord or the Rings Masterpieces II. Wow, 2 sketches per box and still the low case price, although the added sketch definitely raised it. (I think the previous LOTR cases had been about $300 and LOTR II was $400). I didn't need "masterpieces" level drawings to feel as though I'd received my money's worth, just a few nice drawings to keep and some extras to trade and sell. Well, not only did I get my expected 16 sketches, there was even an extra, so 17 in all. The problem was, 12 or 13 of them had the exact same drawing of Gandalf on it, by the artist who shall remain Waterhouse. That was the sketch inserted as BOTH sketches in 4 or the boxes, and the other 4 had at least one.

Topps was mystified as to why I would even complain about this and even asked me directly why I felt I deserved "better" sketches. Not better, DIFFERENT, I said, and that their calling those "1/1" was already stretching it, but putting two of these unique little gems in the SAME box, and then 4 of those boxes in one case, was simply beyond the pale. "Can't you at least shuffle them into the pile?", I asked, with zero sarcasm.

In lieu of the replacements I deserved, I was informed I'd be given, as a "one-time courtesy", a sealed box of LOTR II. Better than nothing, certainly, but when I received it, it contained, you guessed it, two more Waterhouse Gandalfs!

Haha, no just kidding about that part. It actually had two really nice sketches including a watercolor Legolas by Lee Kohse. But still, the lesson is the buyer should always beware spending too much on anything, and with cards expecially. Consider the cost, and if you can't risk at least the small possibility that what you get will be utterly worthless, probably better to spend the money elsewhere, on more certain things.

I still have 10 of those Waterhouse Gandalfs. Pictured together, maybe I could sell them as an homage to Andy Warhol's own repeat-a-thing style. Now, that oughtta be worth $400!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I think people may be underestimating the interest in the manufactured patches. I don't know if Topps is going to tier their rarity like Upper Deck did with they Animal patches, but some of those go for $500+. And those were cards of animals in a baseball set (I forget what the set was called).

As a collector, I think these Star Wars patches are a cool idea. Look at them like an insert that's rarer than the 1:4 foil cards. If there is some real scarcity to them, they could hold nice value down the road. The Luke and Leia /100 cards from Evolution still command around $200 each. If some of these are as rare, or if the set is large enough, I don't see why they wouldn't be desired.

The ones I've seen do look good, and they are new to Star Wars cards, so they could be a big deal in this set. One way to add to their mystique would be if one of the more creative artists drew some of additional ones as sketch cards in the next Galaxy series or Perspectives II. Gee, I wonder who'd be perfectly suited for that? I would imagine you've already sketched some out, Ted!

By the way, how many sketches did you do for this set?

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperdays:
^^ agreed as well. It was mentioned that the number of hits is double on paper and therefore could justify the sticker price but for arguments sake the price of Galaxy 6 was around $500 from the manufacturer. In the end Topps, regardless of orders, was able to double the hits. There just needs to be more WOW ...yes, FFord is a WOW but the others have signed so much that the secondary market has declined. Also, after looking at the artist list again from 30th.....just WOW :-)

Galaxy 4 was such a smash hit, Galaxy 5 was overprinted and people still had plenty of it left (along with various Clone Wars boxes) when Galaxy 6 was being solicited so the orders must've come in at appoximately half of what they expected, hence the surprise doubling of hits which caused an instant sellout and immediately increased buzz for Galaxy 7, which because it went back to the regular hit rate, probably sold at Galaxy 5 levels and remains widely available.

This may have been the deciding factor in upping the hit rate and box/case price for the Perspectives set.

This stuff is more expensive than ever, but look at some of the results. The Cryptozoic people seem to have pleased fans of the shows their sets are based on and made new card collectors in the process. Game of Thrones is a favorite of mine, and Rittenhouse did it so well, I don't regret at all the money I spent on an Archive box. True Blood should be big for them, too.

Breygent continues to innovate with one beautiful set after another, and now Topps has raised the stakes on their flagship non-sports property, Star Wars, and I think they will deliver the goods. There are a slew of smaller manufacturers I've not named, but each have their devoted fans, and would fit right in with this argument, which is, there is another golden age for cards going on now, and one that seemed unlikely to happen only a couple of years ago.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

The ones I've seen do look good, and they are new to Star Wars cards, so they could be a big deal in this set. One way to add to their mystique would be if one of the more creative artists drew some of additional ones as sketch cards in the next Galaxy series or Perspectives II. Gee, I wonder who'd be perfectly suited for that? I would imagine you've already sketched some out, Ted!

By the way, how many sketches did you do for this set?

As of right now 0 because they're not done yet. Razz

I don't know if I'm allowed to say how many I'm doing. I've seen some artists posting their numbers, but I haven't asked for permission to do so. I don't really like to tell ahead of time anyway. I know info like this can help people decide whether or not to pre-order, and I will show some samples when I get the OK, but I won't reveal them all before the release. It's more fun for collectors (like myself!) to pull something unexpected. Smile

And my thinking cap is firmly on for the next set....

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bit the bullet and ordered 2 boxes.I am of the belief that its over priced and there wont be lots of orders. Just like what happened with Galaxies 6. Fingers crossed.

Posts: 49 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: July 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ I also went for just two boxes to check out the base set.

I guess we could have a situation like Galaxy 6, but I just don't know, as they have quite a lot of parallels to disperse, although it would be great for the fans if these were more commonly inserted. Contrary to some people, I actually quite like parallels. At least it gets people back in to card collecting, instead of searching for the hits like the sketch or auto and then dumping the base cards.

The issue we still have though, is that even if the odd box carried an extra sketch hit, it's still an extremely expensive product and a step change in price from Galaxy, so it's still expensive whichever way you look at it.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
I have also started to believe a case will be too expensive, something around 1500 with all costs here overseas, it just doesn´t sound good Shake Head.

What will happen if there´s not lots of orders of this product, what are the results of that?

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Must say I'm a little surprised / disturbed by the absence of an artist list for this set. I thought orders had to be in by July 10th, seems odd no more info has surfaced especially given the cost of this set. Have ordered only 1 box so far, purely a punt at a Ford (you never know... Smile), but a full artist list might well have made me order more...

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post

I signed onto this set REALLY late and am doing a very limited number of cards. Here is a preview of my Star Wars Galactic Files Sketch Cards.

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMolinelli:

I signed onto this set REALLY late and am doing a very limited number of cards. Here is a preview of my Star Wars Galactic Files Sketch Cards.

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a preview of mine also! Those look great, Rich!

Posts: 113 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ms. Owens, that C3PO is truly mesmerizing!

Posts: 90 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RhiburgerNoCheese:
Here's a preview of mine also! Those look great, Rich!

The quality really seems to have stepped up a notch on this set. That Maul of Ms Owens is sublime Smile

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, now I may have to pick-up a box or 2!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
FYI. There will be 4 Galactic Files promo cards handed out at Star Wars Celebration VI. A different one each day.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excited about Celebration! YAY!

Thanks for the compliments on the work for the set Smile

I love Star Wars sets! YAY!

Posts: 113 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post