Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Perspective
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Perspective
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I thing the name Felix Silia should be spelled Felix "Silla". He was Twiki on the Buck Rogers TV show. His catch phrase was "Bidi Bidi Bidi". Apparently, he played an Ewok in "Jedi"

This is a superdeluxe issue and should be fairly limited. Having no idea how the sketches, autographs, and patches are sorted, I think it would be a good idea for Topps to go through all of the sketch cards and make an "upper" pile with the more detailed sketches and a "lower" pile with the less ornate ones. With every box that has an autograph, they can put one of the "lower" pile sketches as the other hit in that box. That way, they can always put one of the nicer sketches into every box that has a manufactured patch as the other hit.

Not everyone can afford a whole case of this, let alone a box, and there will be no easier way to make an unhappy customer than to give a single box purchaser a manufactured relic and an ho-hum sketch when doing such a thing can so easily be avoided.

Also, if not for this release due to the lateness of the hour, Topps should, for a future set at least, consider contracting someone like Adam Hughes or Russell Walks for 10 special sketch cards at whatever their sketch commision rate is. They could then insert 10 special cards into packs that would say something like "CONGRATULATIONS You Have Won a Custom Sketch Card from artist Adam Hughes" along with an online redemption number. With that number, it would be set up so that you could choose what character you want Adam to draw on the card. Topps could then do their neceassry approvals on the card before sending it along to the winner. Unredeemed cards would not be issued, making the redeemed ones even more special.

In this way, 10 lucky winners would get an Artist Proof sketch as a pack insert, how awesome would that be?

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but something like this would help Topps get into the higher end market for their non sports sets as they seem to be intent on doing. They've made a lot of cool innovations for their more pricey sports sets over these last 10 years, time to apply that ingenuity to non sports, especially if the boxes are retailing at $100+.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I thing the name Felix Silia should be spelled Felix "Silla". He was Twiki on the Buck Rogers TV show. His catch phrase was "Bidi Bidi Bidi".
Felix wore the little robot suit for Twiki but the voice was provided by the one and only Mel Blanc. 'Bidi Bidi Bidi' was Mel's voice and catch phrase Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
Felix wore the little robot suit for Twiki but the voice was provided by the one and only Mel Blanc. 'Bidi Bidi Bidi' was Mel's voice and catch phrase Smile

It is also the incoming text notification on my phone!

I'm sure you all wanted to know that. Anyone wanna know what my ring tone is?

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Encouraging Rhiannon Owens to do more full color sketches is liking asking the desert to have more sand.

This is a great chance to praise her for all the great sketch card work she's done, especially on Star Wars. Hope I get one of yours, Rhi!

LOL....nice analogy, but, it wasn't just for me :P It was for all involved.

Speaking personally, no pencil sketches from me this time. All color, all cards. I will die shortly thereafter I am sure Smile

Posts: 113 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
Don't Die Rhi, than we would not be blessed with your goodness Dance

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Perhaps another incentive Topps could look into: redemption cards for the actual artwork created for a base card.

Not sure how feasible that would be, but I know they insert actual artwork used for the etched foil puzzles sometimes.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
Perhaps another incentive Topps could look into: redemption cards for the actual artwork created for a base card.

Not sure how feasible that would be, but I know they insert actual artwork used for the etched foil puzzles sometimes.

Might work, but then Topps would have to pay the artist for the physical art.

Unless I'm mistaken, most times the actual art belongs to the artist and is usually sold to supplement the payment Topps makes for the use of the art.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
On top of that, I believe that Lucas retains right of first refusal on any pieces like this...I could be mistaken, but it sticks in my mind as being the case.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I'm a pretty keen buyer but price point for this is essentially double anything else (and probably triple the shipping cost) and it's spectacularly unclear what I would be getting for my two boxes worth of money. To get anybody to order, we need much better information on odds. I like the auto list but Topps have had some pretty low numbers for major pulls in the past, no quality control over sketches and manufactured patches are not pulls.

I actually like the fact that Topps products tend to have a wide variety of sketches rather than all looking somewhat the same, so I hope they didn't encourage too strongly to just do colour. The quality control should focus on rejecting the scrawls. I don't expect every sketch (or even most) to be worth the box cost, but I don't want any that can't be given away.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure why the Nonsports division hasn't looked for an assist from their Sports division. Since we haven't received confirmation that autos are on-card why not have an element of chase with the autographs(you can stick a sticker on anything). Different limited pictures for each actor. Dual/Triple or Quad autogrpahs,Auto/Patch , more Sketchagraphs. Redemptions for artwork used if available or for a special limited artist that is too rare and too valuable to put in packs.

The parallels are good and the set size too. But for the price tag on these boxes I am not sure Topps will get the desired orders. Some are betting that orders being low will result in a Galaxy 6 situation.....

Posts: 21 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperdays:
Not sure why the Nonsports division hasn't looked for an assist from their Sports division. Since we haven't received confirmation that autos are on-card why not have an element of chase with the autographs(you can stick a sticker on anything). Different limited pictures for each actor. Dual/Triple or Quad autogrpahs,Auto/Patch , more Sketchagraphs. Redemptions for artwork used if available or for a special limited artist that is too rare and too valuable to put in packs.

The parallels are good and the set size too. But for the price tag on these boxes I am not sure Topps will get the desired orders. Some are betting that orders being low will result in a Galaxy 6 situation.....

...unless they are expecting a lower print run for a set like this in the first place and created a lower number of sketch and autographs to begin with. Then even low numbers pre-sold wouldn't necessarily result in the boxes being extra loaded as with Galaxy 6 or Indy Masterpieces.

With that said, look at Star Wars 30 from a few years ago. This set, even with the manufactured patches, looks like it will be superior to the 30th set, and it is very difficult to find a hobby box of that for less than the pre-order box price you can still get for Galactic Files. For those who like to put away sealed boxes to sell at a profit later, this one is a prime candidate.

This could well be the culmination of all Star Wars sets, the crowning achievement in all of Topps work on the line since 1977, and if it is successful, will likely usher in the $130 per box Galactic Files II set, and maybe even a big uptick in price for the next Star Wars Galaxy set.

Cryptozoic boxes and the Upper Deck Avengers cards had pretty high prices at retail and still sold like hot cakes, so it really is the new normal for the premium stuff.

No matter where they are in the production of Galactic Files, it can't be too late for a box topper card, and these should definitely have them. An oversized 1977 Star Wars card reprint would be nice, with every 1000th one signed would be good. Even a promo card would be nice. They oould make 4 different ones for Galaxy 8, that way, the only way to get them all would be purchasing 4 boxes at $100. That'd be a nice reward for those who can afford that.

For the second run of boxes for Lord of the Rings Masterpieces II, Topps included a last minute box topper, a lovely tribute to famed illustrator John Alvin, who had painted many cards in the LOTR Masterpieces sets, and had recently (and suddenly) passed away.

For Galatic Files, they could do the same for the recently departed Ralph McQuarrie, the legendary illustrator so influential on the look of the entire Star Wars universe. A tribute card to him would be most welcome and right at home in this set, which I am greatly looking forward to.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I decided to get a case of this product. It's Star Wars and while the odds for the key autographs will be very slim, they are what they are.

I haven't seen any sketches, where I said to myself I'd like to own that, but to date none of the big name artists have posted their cards yet.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
STar Wars 3oth Auto checklist:
-- Harrison Ford ( 10; 1:49204 packs)
-- Anthony Daniels ( 75; 1: 6561 packs)
-- Carrie Fisher ( 75; 1: 6561 packs)
-- Peter Mayhew ( 100; 1: 4920 packs)
-- David Prowse ( 100; 1: 4920 packs)
-- Colin Higgins ( 300; 1: 1640 packs)
-- George Roubichek ( 300; 1: 1640 packs)
-- Jon Berg ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- John Dykstra ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Richard Edlund ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Gary Kurtz ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- John Mollo ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Lorne Peterson ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Ken Ralston ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Norman Reynolds ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Phil Tippet ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Joe Viskocil ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- John Williams ( 625; 1: 789 packs)
-- Rusty Goffe ( 770; 1: 640 packs)
-- Kenny Baker (1000; 1: 492 packs)
-- Paul Blake (1000; 1: 492 packs)
-- Maria deAragon (1000; 1: 492 packs)
-- Garrick Hagon (1000; 1: 492 packs)
-- Christine Hewett (1000; 1: 492 packs)
-- Richard LeParmentier (1000; 1: 492 packs)

Galactic Files Auto Checklist
Bonnie Piese
Amy Allen
Daniel Logan
Felix Silia
Jeremy Bulloch
Matthew Wood
Peter Mayhew
Richard LeParmentier
Anthony Forest
Ray Park
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
James Earl Jones
Jake Lloyd
Michonne Bourrigue

Not sure I would consider this a stronger list.

30th Anniversarry Sketch Artist List:
Russell Walks ( 23; 1:21393 packs)
-- Stephane Roux ( 26; 1:16401 packs)
-- Joseph Booth ( 50; 1: 4920 packs)
-- Mark Brooks ( 50; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Joe Corroney ( 56; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Brian Denham ( 50; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Josh Fargher ( 56; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Gabe Hernandez ( 56; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Adam Hughes ( 56; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Rafael Kayanan ( 50; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Phil Noto ( 50; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Brian Rood ( 50; 1: 9841 packs)
-- Leah Mangue ( 70; 1: 7688 packs)
-- Doug Cowan ( 76; 1: 7029 packs)
-- Justin Chung ( 85; 1: 5789 packs)
-- Matt Busch ( 106; 1: 4920 packs)
-- Jeff Chandler ( 106; 1: 4920 packs)
-- Jan Duursema ( 100; 1: 4920 packs)
-- Chris Eliopoulous ( 100; 1: 4920 packs)
-- Craig Rousseau ( 106; 1: 4920 packs)
-- David Rabbitte ( 126; 1: 4100 packs)
-- Cynthis Cummens ( 131; 1: 3936 packs)
-- Brian Ashmore ( 150; 1: 3280 packs)
-- Len Bellinger ( 156; 1: 3280 packs)
-- Amy Pronovost ( 156; 1: 3280 packs)
-- Juan Carlos Ramos ( 156; 1: 3280 packs)
-- John Watkins-Chow ( 181; 1: 2812 packs)
-- Alexander Buechel ( 200; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Dave Dorman ( 200; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Otis Frampton ( 200; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Paul Gutierrez ( 201; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Ingrid Hardy ( 206; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Tom Hodges ( 206; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Josh Howard ( 200; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Brandon McKinney ( 200; 1: 2460 packs)
-- Kevin Graham ( 256; 1: 1968 packs)
-- Sean Pence ( 300; 1: 1640 packs)
-- Cat Staggs ( 306; 1: 1640 packs)
-- Sarah Wilkinson ( 300; 1: 1640 packs)
-- Allison Sohn ( 400; 1: 1230 packs)
-- Katie Cook ( 500; 1: 984 packs)
-- Christian Dalla Vecchia (500; 1:984 packs)
-- Grant Gould ( 500; 1: 984 packs)
-- Ryan Waterhouse ( 500; 1: 984 packs)
-- Jessica Hickman ( 550; 1: 895 packs)
-- Robert Teranishi ( 600; 1: 820 packs)
-- Davidé Fabbri (1000; 1: 492 packs

Galactic Files Artist List UNKNOWN ... There are MANY huge names on the 30th list.

Box Toppers for 30th were amazing additions. Remember too that boxes of 30th are at their current level after 5 years and initial price per case was approx $500/

Manufactured patches will only do it for most people IF they are an additional hit. At the current price 2 HITS plus the manufactured patch would do . All just my humble opinion. I will gamble on 5-10 cases in hopes that they have to add content because orders are "slow" ...this has been relayed by several on-line distributors.

Posts: 21 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I'd feel a lot better about the manufactured patches if there were a large number of different ones, say 20-30. That way it would take several cases to complete a set.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using an example(as it appears that is the direction nonsports is/has gone ). For the next UFC release 8 box cases are approx $720/ so $90/ box.
Configuration: 8 boxes per case. 2 mini-boxes per box. 6 packs per mini-box. 5 cards per pack. (12 total packs per box)

Each pack contains four (4) - 2012 Topps UFC Finest Base Cards; and one (1) UFC Finest Base White Refractor Parallel Cards.

2012 Topps UFC Finest brings you all the excitement of the Octagon with
1 Autograph per mini-box,
1 Jumbo Fighter-Worn Relic per mini-box, and
1 Jumbo Mat Relic per mini box!

SO, 2 autographs, 2 Jumbo Fighter-worn relic cards and 2 Jumbo Mat Relic cards per box. My point, which I might be making poorly, is that since Topps is virtually doubling what buyers pay for a normal case, the content should appear to be that much more amazing. I am not put off by the price point, just put off by the content at the price point.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the odds on the Star Wars 30th, very useful.

Being something of an autograph enthusiast (and lifelong Star Wars card collector anyway), I bought a case of Star Wars 30th and got 4 of the common 1:429 autographs which was a little disappointing, but not totally unexpected as the 7 most common signers signed well over half of the 12,000 or so autographs made for the set. .

But in selling off box toppers (not the Blue ones, I kept those), the parallels (which I don't collect at all), and the 4 sketches (3 nice ones, 1 so-so, none I couldn't live without), I was able to get back most, if not all, of the money back, while keeping the base sets, the regular insert cards, and the 4 autos for my trouble, so I look back fondly on the Star Wars 30th release, which by the way, boasted a tremendous base set, one of the very best ones so far, and hopefully the model for Galactic Files.

This time around, the case price is pretty much doubled, but there should be 12 sketches and 6 autographs in each 12 box case, so that's 18 hits in all (not counting the patches which are nice, but aren't hits), which is more than double the 8 hits total found in an 8 box case of Star Wars 30th (which was a 1 sketch OR 1 autograph per box).

So in that way, based on the "hit rate", this new series is actually pretty much the same cost "per hit" as Star Wars 30th, and again, that's not counting the patches as hits. It is a smaller auto list this time, but to have the big 3 in one set is a great thing. They should definitely insert at least one Han, Luke, and Leia triple signed card (folded panel card or by redemption, if necessary). If they're sticker autographs, Topps might as well take advantage of the ability to stick them on anything they want and make something really special for a lucky collector or two. They can get Ruth and Gehrig signatures on the same card, Mantle & Dimaggio on one card, and on and on with their sports cards, so to do it with Star Wars actors should be very easy.

The sketch market is definitely saturated compared to the market of 5 years ago, so the crazy sums paid for sketch cards have come down to more reasonable levels, but the parallels this time around, especially the 1-of-1's, should be as popular or more so than the ones from 30th. No word on box toppers, but Topps really should make some for this series, and a case topper would be welcome, too.

To me, this set is a no-brainer. I can't wait for my case. I just hope my 6 autographs are a little better than my 4 from Star Wars 30th, and whatever the case, that the cards I don't collect (most sketches and all parallels) can once again help me recoup a good chunk of the cost.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

posted Hide Post
I really can't say I class this as a no brainer yet. We have only seen a handful of artists disclose they are on the set so far, and compared to the 30th set that was mentioned earlier, we are missing most of the 'bigger' names up to now.

Whilst I will get a couple of boxes, I think it is important to remember that for the case price of $1200 (probably nearer $1500 with taxes/shipping if you are getting this shipping overseas), you could buy just about whatever you wanted in terms of the after market, including a number of high end sketches and autos.

I will certainly be watching with interest come the release date to see if I view the cases as good value or not...

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish:
I really can't say I class this as a no brainer yet. We have only seen a handful of artists disclose they are on the set so far, and compared to the 30th set that was mentioned earlier, we are missing most of the 'bigger' names up to now.

Whilst I will get a couple of boxes, I think it is important to remember that for the case price of $1200 (probably nearer $1500 with taxes/shipping if you are getting this shipping overseas), you could buy just about whatever you wanted in terms of the after market, including a number of high end sketches and autos.

I hope the final list of sketch artists are good, but I don't really collect them, so I would get these no matter who ends up on that. At least one dealer had cases for 1,100 out here. Won't the Harrison Ford autograph alone be somewhere up there?
If that's the case, you wouldn't be able to get too many aftermarket cards for your 11, 12, or even 15 hundred bucks if that card is on your list. Even the Luke and Leia pair would approach $1,000 together, I would think.

While the vast majority of the autographs will be, I have no doubt, from:

Bonnie Piese
Amy Allen
Daniel Logan
Felix Silia
Jeremy Bulloch
Matthew Wood
Peter Mayhew
Richard LeParmentier
Anthony Forest
Jake Lloyd
Michonne Bourrigue

...hopefully every case will hold at least one of these:
Ray Park
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
James Earl Jones
Irvin Kershner

posted Hide Post
^ Agreed. You would like to hope at the new high case price point, that there is a minimum big hit per case. In fact I would like to hope 2-3 big hits per case at that price!

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ agreed as well. It was mentioned that the number of hits is double on paper and therefore could justify the sticker price but for arguments sake the price of Galaxy 6 was around $500 from the manufacturer. In the end Topps, regardless of orders, was able to double the hits. There just needs to be more WOW ...yes, FFord is a WOW but the others have signed so much that the secondary market has declined. Also, after looking at the artist list again from 30th.....just WOW :-)