Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Perspective
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Perspective
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
This set, while exciting to set builders because of the size (I like the idea of a 350 card base set), is VERY scary for the cost.

Hobby wise the history of manufactured patches isn't great, and we know the potential for sketch diversity both good and bad.

Even Retail wise it's daunting because if it's going to be $4.20 a pack that's downright scary too. I can find retail stores here that still have 4 different Star Wars sets on their shelves for sale!

Hopefully we'll all be surprised and the boxes will get seeded better or the odds improved or something!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I would much rather see 6 card packs instead of 12...cost would be a little lower and it would make the base sets worth the effort. With 350 cards on 24pt stock, this is going to be an extremely heavy set...but will customers pay $50 delivered for one?

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ I can't see it.

I will probably order 2 boxes and try to make a base set, but can't justify a case I don't think. The money could be used better elsewhere unfortunately.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
If orders are low the boxes may yield more hits than anticipated like SWG 6. Maybe wishful thinking, but we have seen it happen before.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
If orders are low the boxes may yield more hits than anticipated like SWG 6. Maybe wishful thinking, but we have seen it happen before.

Shhhhhh, don't tell everyone. Now they'll all order and we won't get extra hits. ;-)

Having ordered a case, I was kind of secretly hoping case orders would be low because of the price and the hit odds would be increased.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ interesting approach, but its only good if the extra hits are really nice. I think it might be prudent to wait for the artist list.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to have 1 sketch card and either one more sketch or 1 Autograph per box Wink

Posts: 6 | Location: Thailand | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Final Signers list:

Bonnie Piese
Amy Allen
Daniel Logan
Felix Silia
Jeremy Bulloch
Matthew Wood
Peter Mayhew
Richard LeParmentier
Anthony Forest
Ray Park
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
James Earl Jones
Jake Lloyd
Michonne Bourrigue

There are a few others signers on the fence, but as it stands now, this is the list.

Retail packs will stay at $3. This should help build the set out for less money if you're not as interested in premium inserts.

Artist list forthcoming. Still a couple things being finalized.

Posts: 36 | Location: New York | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot,

We've discovered some Irvin Kershner sigs from ESB 3D, we'll be including those as well.

Posts: 36 | Location: New York | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Waldeck:
Almost forgot,

We've discovered some Irvin Kershner sigs from ESB 3D, we'll be including those as well.

NICE FINDS, Glad to hear they won't go to waist! Would like to see more Ralph Mcquarries if you find them too Big Grin

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Almost forgot,

My question to David, how come they didn't make the ESB 3D at the time, it was low on Autos as it was, I should now, I broke several cases and got no Autos whatsoever!

Here my 2 cents worth.

Not a fan of old product being reused as fillers for new products even if it is an auto this time e.g 30th vintage box toppers and Galaxy series 2 artist signed cards in Galaxy 4.

As time goes on the number of boxes I will buy goes down. I figure I will just buy 4 boxes now, I will put together a base set, hopefully from those 4 boxes and concentrate on completing my older Star Wars sets. Possibly working on the blue parallel set over the long run.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
David,

Will all autos (aside from Irv's) be hard signed? I recall you stating that you wanted to do all autos on card a little over a year ago.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
From the looks of the cards they will be sticker auto's again . I am fine with that as long as the Carrie Fisher is a Slave girl Pic . Giggle .

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
David,

Will there be any Retail Exclusive cards? Or will the price be the only incentive to buy retail?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR2D2:
quote:
Almost forgot,

My question to David, how come they didn't make the ESB 3D at the time, it was low on Autos as it was, I should now, I broke several cases and got no Autos whatsoever!

Here my 2 cents worth.

Not a fan of old product being reused as fillers for new products even if it is an auto this time e.g 30th vintage box toppers and Galaxy series 2 artist signed cards in Galaxy 4.

I totally get what you're saying, especially with the extra Kershner autos, I bought 2 cases of ESB 3D and didn't get an autograph either. The odds really were too long on finding one of those, and if they had more of the stickers on hand at the time, they really should have used them, but then again, maybe they always intended to use them for a later set. At least they'll be in collector's hands now.

But the other examples you named weren't exactly reused cards that had been held back.

In the case of the autographs from Galaxy 2, those were only available back in 1994 in exchange for redemption cards and considering there are likely still thousands of sealed boxes of Star Wars Galaxy 2 out there, it's a good bet that quite a few of those redemptions remain in sealed packs or else were discovered after the expiration date, which would've left Topps with a bunch of autographs. And since the autographs weren't certified authentic in any way (they were regular base cards, autographed by the card's artist), for Topps to recently finally issue them in Series 4 actually did those cards a service. This is because for the long delayed release of those autographs, they affixed a little silver holographic SW Galaxy 4 logo to them, which certified them authentic in a meaningful way for the very first time, albeit nearly 20 years after they were signed.

Granted, Topps could've seeded the redemption cards more than just one per Series 2 case in the first place, but one per box autographs just weren't the standard in those days. Indeed, since the redemption cards were so hard to find, and because what one would receive in exchange for them were uncertified autographs, the unused redemption cards (especially the ones from Series 1 which were even tougher to find) are more valuable than the actual autographed cards these days!

As for the Star Wars 30th box toppers, I don't think those had been held back in any way, either, rather Topps went out and purchased some nice examples of vintage Star Wars on which to affix the Star Wars 30 Logo, in the process differentiting those re-purchased singles from the literally millions of vintage Star Wars cards still out there, creating an official variation of the classic cards that were for the most part very popular with collectors, and absolutely adored by dealers who were able sell certain ones of those cards for more than the price of an entire box!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many Ford autos will there be? 10, or a few more this time..?

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it means anything to anyone we were encouraged to do more full color sketches and stay away from b/w and pencil work.

Some will care, some may not. Thought you might like to know, and that is about all I think I can say on that Smile

Hope it makes at least someone happy !

Big Grin

Posts: 113 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Encouraging Rhiannon Owens to do more full color sketches is liking asking the desert to have more sand.

This is a great chance to praise her for all the great sketch card work she's done, especially on Star Wars. Hope I get one of yours, Rhi!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Final Signers list:

Bonnie Piese
Amy Allen
Daniel Logan
Felix Silia
Jeremy Bulloch
Matthew Wood
Peter Mayhew
Richard LeParmentier
Anthony Forest
Ray Park
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
James Earl Jones
Jake Lloyd
Michonne Bourrigue

There are a few others signers on the fence, but as it stands now, this is the list.

Retail packs will stay at $3. This should help build the set out for less money if you're not as interested in premium inserts.

Artist list forthcoming. Still a couple things being finalized.

16! 16 autographs from 6 films and the TV projects? I like that they got a couple new names in there but really, 16?

Sadly it won't stop me from buying them which i guess is what they count on. Every Star Wars Celebration they get 30-40 signers I would think Topps could at least do that well.

Ok I am done ranting for now.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is some of the signers merely Sticker autographs left over from previous releases?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post