Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Perspective
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Perspective
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
My case had one set of the three as well, but I've heard a couple of reports indicating only 2 of the 3 cards in a case.

If they do indeed tend to fall 2 to 3 per case, it's likely there are 1,000 of each variant card since there is something like 1,100 cases of this product (using the math from the number of parallel cards and the insertion rates for those to determine the production run). If it is 1,000 of each card, that would mean around 2/3 of the cases would hold a full set of three while the last 1/3 would have two of the three in various combinations.

But that's true if they are found only in the Hobby boxes. If they are in retail, too, that would mean there is something more than 1,000 of each.

Finally, I know there were no retail only inserts this time around, but perhaps Topps made some additional variant base cards exclusive to retail. If so, those cards would be extremely coveted, but it's hard to know if those exist since so few retail breaks are ever published.

I like these variants well enough on their own, but it's even better that the card pack searchers seemingly would not be able to suss out which packs they are found in, if they are indeed also in the retail verison.

It's unfortunate that all cards in retail can't be the exact same weight, thickness, and surface finish as that would be the only way to put all those unscrupulous Hot Pack sellers out of business, which would be simply fantastic.

Posts: 3323 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed opening these boxes then thought I'd put together a base set. I just wonder if anyone at Topps has actually sat and tried to collate a base set after opening 12 boxes?? It took me one and a half hours assisted by my 2 children!!

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Wright:
I enjoyed opening these boxes then thought I'd put together a base set. I just wonder if anyone at Topps has actually sat and tried to collate a base set after opening 12 boxes?? It took me one and a half hours assisted by my 2 children!!

It would have only taken 15 minutes if you done it on your own Wink

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Someone told me that there is also a variant on card # 56 that doesn't have the character's name on it. Jeff Allendar's website also lists this. has anyone seen this variant ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Someone told me that there is also a variant on card # 56 that doesn't have the character's name on it. Jeff Allendar's website also lists this. has anyone seen this variant ?

Here's one here in a completed auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-W...&hash=item3f1d0e6ebe

It looks more like a printing error than an intentional variation.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few reports of folks pulling blue foils that were missing the blue foil. This appears to be one of those.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was at Walmart yesterday and they finally had rack packs... but someone had gone through them all tearing the package where the slot to hang the packs is so they could see in the pack if there were any inserts. Mad

Some of them had the hang-hole (what the heck would you call it?) completely torn to where they couldn't hang, and Walmart attached plastic hangers to the pack so it could hang. Needless to say I went home empty-handed. Frown Well, not completely... I did buy socks. Big Grin

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ted, do you know what inserts were available in the Wal-mart packs, number of cards, price?

Thanks!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Tirohn:
Ted, do you know what inserts were available in the Wal-mart packs, number of cards, price?

Thanks!

Sorry, John, I did not look at the insert list, nor did I notice how many cards were in a pack. Looked like around 20. They were $5.28.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Check out the BOX BREAKDOWN thread.

Two kinds of retail packs.
Jumbo packs have 16 cards, and the regular packs have 9 cards.
Each pack has 1 insert. All the low end chase are available and a longshot chance at a sketch card. No autos or patch cards.

Happy collecting. Wave

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far I've bought 10 of the jumbo packs and I have pulled 2 sketch cards. Picked up 5 packs at one target and 5 at another. Good luck or not so rare?

Rob

Posts: 49 | Location: Vancouver Wa USA | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
seems like good luck...whats' the deal with the retail sketches...haven't heard of half the artists...good quality?

Posts: 5 | Location: midwest | Registered: September 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I tried to get a binder for this set, but found the shipping cost to be over twice the cost of the product, so I didn't bother. I wrote to Topps explaining that this diminished my Topps experience, but they did not reply. You would have thought that the binders would be available from Topps Europe, but I think that would be wishful thinking. Oh well another disillusioned collector.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to finish a base set for this set let alone the chase! lol 2 hobby boxes and close to a retail box worth of loose packs here and there and I'm still missing 6 base cards, and a lot of the chase (I keep pulling the same cards over and over)

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jake,
Let me know the numbers of the base cards you're missing. I have some extras.

Posts: 3323 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
I tried to get a binder for this set, but found the shipping cost to be over twice the cost of the product, so I didn't bother. I wrote to Topps explaining that this diminished my Topps experience, but they did not reply. You would have thought that the binders would be available from Topps Europe, but I think that would be wishful thinking. Oh well another disillusioned collector.

It never ceases to amaze me how some companies seem to make it so difficult for you to buy their products. You would think they would do everything possible to make it easy for you to get your hands on the things they sell.

Posts: 29000 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A shame about the binders being so expensive for overseas customers once the shipping is factored in because the one for this series is especially handsome
Even so, I've always thought $20 was a bit much for a binder, and when that much is charged,
a bonus card or mini uncut sheet should be included. I hadn't planned on getting a Galactic Files binder, but I bought one of the Mars Attacks bundles they offered on Black Friday and I needed to buy a little more to get to the free shipping plateau.
The binder could actually be shipped to an overseas address for about $12 in shipping costs, maybe a bit more, but when a tracking number is needed, that literally doubles the shipping price since Registered mail is the cheapest way to get one and that costs about $13 more.
With that in mind, I'm not sure where they get the $40+ shipping costs overseas, since it's closer to $25 in reality shipped through USPS with tracking. Maybe they don't use USPS but rather some other carrier, all of which charge more for international and domestic shipping, for that matter). Or maybe they do use USPS but are charging a handling fee for filling out the customs forms, etc.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Topps have Europe and UK arms of the company. They could have the binders made over here for UK and Europe customers and then they would not have to post them from America.

Posts: 29000 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it isn't the buyer's responsibility to make sure the item gets to them unharmed...it's the seller. If the seller feels like they need to ship express mail with insurance shipping could be $40+ just for the shipping cost. Like it or not sellers have to cover themselves when shipping an item.

Registered mail can sometimes take longer than regular 1st class mail as well making it more likely something will go wrong or the item will be damaged.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
A shame about the binders being so expensive for overseas customers once the shipping is factored in because the one for this series is especially handsome
Even so, I've always thought $20 was a bit much for a binder, and when that much is charged,
a bonus card or mini uncut sheet should be included. I hadn't planned on getting a Galactic Files binder, but I bought one of the Mars Attacks bundles they offered on Black Friday and I needed to buy a little more to get to the free shipping plateau.
The binder could actually be shipped to an overseas address for about $12 in shipping costs, maybe a bit more, but when a tracking number is needed, that literally doubles the shipping price since Registered mail is the cheapest way to get one and that costs about $13 more.
With that in mind, I'm not sure where they get the $40+ shipping costs overseas, since it's closer to $25 in reality shipped through USPS with tracking. Maybe they don't use USPS but rather some other carrier, all of which charge more for international and domestic shipping, for that matter). Or maybe they do use USPS but are charging a handling fee for filling out the customs forms, etc.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They definitely should have made this one available to European collectors, shipped from Europe. This is one of the rare sets large enough to deserve a binder, not like the average 90 card set which doesn't even "fill" the slimmest binder.

I mean for Twilight Zone, Rittenhouse made 4 different binders, one for each of the first 4 series and those were only 72 card sets, and a little over 100 with all chase and autograph, and yet all four series can fit into one binder. I did buy the Series II binder anyway for the autograph and promo that were exclusive to it, but I just use it for other TV related card sets, which is to say it was totally unnecessary for storing Twilight Zone cards, they all fit into the series 1 binder. And even though I was a huge fan of the TZ sets, I just couldn't bring myself to buy the series 3 and 4 binders, I just picked up the autographs and promos those came with separately when I had the chance.

Hopefully though, Topps will include a promo or uncut mini sheet of some kind with all future binders. They did it with the Galaxy 5 binders, and I think the Clone Wars widevision binder, too, and that likely helped them sell those out. It's really a no brainer.

As for attaining this binder and future ones that cost so much to ship internationally, perhaps European buyers on this board can indicate to any American Topps purchaser that is buying over $100 of items from Topps (and thus qualifying for free shipping) to pick up an extra one for them. Then the American buyer can ship it for the $20 binder cost and the regular $12 (or so) shipping for international 1st Class mail. As long as the Euro-buyer trusts the American to ship the binder to them, there is really no need for the Registered fee. In my experience 99.9% of items sent internationally arrive safely. The tracking number and it's accompanying expense is absolutely necessary to cover one's butt, Ebay wise, but really is not needed between friends.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,