Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Perspective
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Perspective
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
From what Dave Waldeck posted, there seemed to be no question as to the Ford or any of the other signers listed, but rather some potential additional signers.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Posted 6/29

quote:
Originally posted by David Waldeck:
Final Signers list:

Bonnie Piese
Amy Allen
Daniel Logan
Felix Silia
Jeremy Bulloch
Matthew Wood
Peter Mayhew
Richard LeParmentier
Anthony Forest
Ray Park
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
James Earl Jones
Jake Lloyd
Michonne Bourrigue

There are a few others signers on the fence, but as it stands now, this is the list.

Retail packs will stay at $3. This should help build the set out for less money if you're not as interested in premium inserts.

Artist list forthcoming. Still a couple things being finalized.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt this had enough good info to share:

http://www.cardboardconnection...-wars-galactic-files

(I apologize if I'm not allowed to show this link)
Just having gotten into nonsports cards this year, I'm suprised Ford has only signed for one other Star Wars set. Figured it was more.

Posts: 90 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Nick, for the longest time, Ford wanted nothing to do with signing autographs and had turned down many offers. Having his autos on another Star Wars set, even with the most miniscule of chances to pull one, is big news.

Thanks for the update!

posted Hide Post
The last set he signed for was rumored at only 10 cards. With the numbers Topps produces thats slim. Not sure this would convince me to up my order.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Is this on schedule to release this week? Confused

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Releases tomorrow September 25th

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see the box breakdown on this set! Due to high box costs I've decided to opt out. Good Luck and my the force be with you!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
I am waiting to see before I decide on what to get from this release. Is it really gonna be tomorrow? Haven't heard any updates for some time.

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got word my cases will be arriving tomorrow, so looks like this is a go. Really hoping with the amount of interest in this set that Topps loaded up the boxes.

Also of note: there is one seller with singles for sale on eBay. He has a sketch and an autograph making me think he purchased just 1 box. Also up for auction are 6 blue parallels #d /350 and 1 red parallel #d /35, 7 parallels per box would be pretty solid added value IMO if that holds true across whole print run. I know it is super early, but if the Red parallels fall 1 per box that is only 12,250 boxes, or around 1000 cases produced and I think that would be the lowest case print run on any star wars set.

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the thought and I'm with you, but Topps has a very poor track record on LOADED boxes. Usually it is a last minute concession, like Galaxy 6.
Considering the price per box there better be something to justify it. Of course, Topps also knows that it has a monopoly, so what incentive do they have to be excellent?

May the force be with us. Big Grin

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
All I know is that among the dealers and distributors I have spoken with over the last couple months about this, their orders were lower for this than ANY other Star Wars release in the last 5 years. Hoping that means something for the collector/case/box purchaser but you are right, my hopes are not high.

Also of note, and I am surprised that this was not discussed. The printing plates for this set were being advertised at Celebration as a box set. Topps was advertising that they would be selling the plates on their online store in a box set with all 4 printing plates included, and a nice display box for each color printing plate. I do not know if this is still the plan, but if I remember right they were planning on charging $400 or $500 per printing plate set. That angered me a little bit. You have a high end set and instead of inserting the printing plates and having them be a bonus you are selling them on the side?

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should be upset. The facts are that this release had the fewest case orders perhaps EVER of a Star Wars product. The increased case size from 8 to 12 boxes and ofcourse the price tag from Galaxy releases at $500+ to almost $1000-1100/ case. Topps instead of inserting plates realized they had to try and make money somewhere else are going to sell the plates sets. Remember there are 350 base cards so $400-$500 per set would be $140,000 TO $175,000. Seriously what is their cost for packaging this per set. Holy schnikes TOPPS!!!

Posts: 21 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Opened 2 boxes so far.here is the breakdown for the 2 boxes
Blue Parallels qty 18 no dups
Red Parallels; 1(seeded 1:25)
Classic Moments Foils;qty 8(seeded 1:6)no dups/set of 20
Duels of Fat;8(seeded 1:6)no dups/set of 10
Classic Lines;12(seeded 1:4) 2 dups/1 set
Bad Feeling;12(seeded 1:4) 6 dups/no sets/missing 2 numbers to complete 2 sets
Sketches by Jerome Scott(colour) and Ken Knudtsen(black & white)
Autographs; Richard LeParmentier and Felix Silla

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Why is Topps selling the plates through their online store a problem? It's not like they were promised to be in packs and then pulled at the last minute to be sold elsewhere. Breygent has sold a lot of plates directly, never had an issue there.

Topps also sold a bunch of blank-back proofs from Galaxy sets online, nobody seemed to mind. I guess if they put them in packs at some point, it would then be expected they'd do so with subsequent releases.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
can't wait to see some images of what is out there!

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
Posted 6/29

quote:
Originally posted by David Waldeck:
Final Signers list:

Bonnie Piese
Amy Allen
Daniel Logan
Felix Silia
Jeremy Bulloch
Matthew Wood
Peter Mayhew
Richard LeParmentier
Anthony Forest
Ray Park
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
James Earl Jones
Jake Lloyd
Michonne Bourrigue

There are a few others signers on the fence, but as it stands now, this is the list.

Retail packs will stay at $3. This should help build the set out for less money if you're not as interested in premium inserts.

Artist list forthcoming. Still a couple things being finalized.

Is this the final confirmed list of signers? I know there was mention a few more could be added. ThanksSmile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Why is Topps selling the plates through their online store a problem? It's not like they were promised to be in packs and then pulled at the last minute to be sold elsewhere. Breygent has sold a lot of plates directly, never had an issue there.

Topps also sold a bunch of blank-back proofs from Galaxy sets online, nobody seemed to mind. I guess if they put them in packs at some point, it would then be expected they'd do so with subsequent releases.

Because in previous products that cost $500-$600 a case they were included, and in this product which costs double that, they are selling them on the side. Pretty simple IMO

Flag, I believe that list is final. At Celebration they said 17 signers

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NonSportCardGuy26:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

Because in previous products that cost $500-$600 a case they were included, and in this product which costs double that, they are selling them on the side. Pretty simple IMO

But they were different products altogether, just the same license. Also, other Topps Star Wars products that cost the same the insert structure was different. Some had die-cut sketch cards, some had Manga sketch cards, some had autos, some had buybacks, while others didn't.

In all the above instances, Topps guaranteed either an auto or sketch per box, the main "hit", for about $60. In Galactic Files boxes you're getting 2 hits guaranteed for less than double that. Compare 1 hit for $60 vs 2 for $100 - that's $50 per hit on these boxes. Instead of printing plates that are still difficult to pull, they're including more tiers of parallels which fall at a much better rate. If cost is an issue, you're probably better off with using the parallels to recoup costs than hunting down a printing plate. There will also be a lot of 1/1's comprising the larger-than-usual base set. If these fall almost as frequently as printing plates in previous sets, you've still got a one-of-a-kind card.

What about when Topps sells uncut sheets? All of those additional cards could have gone into packs. Same thing with the blank-backs I mentioned before.

I'm not sure you're following what I'm getting at, you didn't really address my points. Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly. You seem to be focused on the cost, which in my mind for the reasons I've listed, the value is there even without plates.

Now if Topps started selling the Harrison Ford autos on their site...

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well said, Ted, all true, and thank you for saving me the time of typing it, I think I wrote something very similar on this board when the set was first announced.

Consider also:

1. This has autos (no matter how limited) from the big 3 in one set. Has that ever happened before?
2. At least a few of the sketch cards I've seen are masterpieces on the level of the finest Star Wars Sketch cards ever drawn
3. The patches are limited and nicely enough designed that they will be very collectible. They are also a brand new kind of insert for Star Wars cards even though the modern era for Star Wars cards (with inserts) began nearly 20 years ago.

The end result: Pre-orderers bought their boxes for approx $90 each, and will be glad to have done so. Collectors should still be able to get them for about $100 during this next month or two. Next year, they will go for $150+, and then they will be gone.

One can show their displeasure by not purchasing this product, but how will anyone notice that even happened as soon as the boxes are sold out? I don't think either Star Wars cards collectors (especially) or flippers should miss this set.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post