Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I was looking at that too, and it seems to me like the 4 packs would count. I think they're basically just saying no promo card for those who order bare bones $10 PDF file, as those people aren't being physically mailed anything.

I would ordinarily consider $5 a pack a little high, but as these lots include shipping and will be made of unsearched packs, you've got an actual one-in-three shot of finding one of the two "hits" found per 24 packs with each lot you buy, so not too shabby, especially with that nice promo added.

This has become a very nice looking group of cards that are appealing to not only Mars fans, but also those of Wacky Packs and GPK's, pretty smart on Topps' part. Use what you've got!

I'm trying to save up money for comic-con, but I just may have to get in on this...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In addition to the card, looks like you get a sticker if you pledge by May 25

Are there any other promos or exclusive cards associated with this (other than chase cards) Kickstarter ? i can't tell

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Where did you see this, about the NSU promos ?

I see the thing about the 4 metal cards not in the packs, for $ 600

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

It's a "stretch" goal should the campaign hit 120K. It might not do that, although there are nearly 2 weeks left to get another $17K, but I would imagine the promos will still be issued in NSU. It would be interesting to know the ratios if they are not evenly distributed.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see it now. Thanks

So are you saying that if they hit 120 K, I get these NSU promos for my physical order of 4 packs for $ 20 ? Or do I need to pledge more ?

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Are'nt the promos in the picture the one's that just came out at the Philly show?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I can understand Topps doing this so they only have to make what's ordered, but it's not made very clear what you get when strech goals are reached. There must be a pledge mark to be eligible for some of the extras. It also puzzles me why there are dealer-only exclusives. If they want dealers to be involved, just release the set as normal. The way it reads, the person that's pledged $10,000 still doesn't get everything available.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have noticed that they advertise dealer exclusive metal cards

Does this mean that dealers are also getting these somehow, or are they Kickstarter exclusives ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Are'nt the promos in the picture the one's that just came out at the Philly show?

Yes, I don't have my new NSU yet and I can't attend the Philly Show, but looking around, it does appear that the three "Heritage" style versions are from Philly and the more modern looking one is in the June-July 2015 issue of NSU (with Big Bang Theory) on the cover.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Yes, I have noticed that they advertise dealer exclusive metal cards

Does this mean that dealers are also getting these somehow, or are they Kickstarter exclusives ?

Dealers aren't getting anything unless they make the kickstarter pledge. None of this product is being offered outside of the Kickstarer campaign.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received an email response from Topps and they said, yes, a $ 20 pledge gets you the exclusive promo

I emailed them back to ask if $ 20 also gets you the NSU promos assuming they reach 120 K

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Update-- Topps emailed me and said that yes, $20, DOES get you the NSU promos if they reach 120 K

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Topps has added a new Judge Dredd/Mars Attacks Crossover Collector Pack based on the Mars Attacks Judge Dredd comic published by IDW. Each pack includes an autograph card and sketch card as well as 18 base cards. Packs will run $50 and you must order this with any of the existing pledge levels ($10 and up). Details on their Kickstarter page

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dealers aren't getting anything unless they make the kickstarter pledge. None of this product is being offered outside of the Kickstarer campaign.

I just read the entire page and I didn't see it state anywhere that the series is exclusive to Kickstarter. It said the "add-ons" are exclusive (which is probably what caused the confusion), but not the series itself. It is difficult to imagine a big corporation like Topps creating a $120,000 series just for 356 people, and not exploit it further by selling it to the general public. They are not known for catering to a small clique of fan boys. (Quite the opposite. I'm not bitching, I'm just saying they are rather aloof when it comes to personal attention to customers. Try calling Topps headquarters and asking for information about a new or existing product and you'll see what I mean.) So if someone sees a written statement that the entire series is limited exclusively to Kickstarter, please point it out.

BTW, can anyone explain about the "mock piece of bubble gum"? They say the product will contain it. Why make it fake? Can Topps not get real bubble gum anymore? Has New York outlawed it along with the large super-sized sodas? Is this part of the White House effort to reduce childhood obesity? If anything, I would expect Mars Attacks to contain a SPECIAL gum that produces Nitrogen when you chew it....

And lastly, if Kickstarter gave Oscars for pitch videos, this project would definitely deserve (at least) two: One for the writer, and another for the special effects. Now if only they could make a "holographic horrors" card with a clip of that video on it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterwax,

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know there not allowed to send gum to Europe and the uk because we use different e numbers and we may grow an extra arm or leg ect so cant have most food or candy products including gum sent to us here in the uk. so this could be the answer to fake gum ? and I thought the boxes of cards were available to buy on the open market once the kick starter was completed ?

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
You are out of line especially since you are running a kick starter at the same time? I was going to participate in your program but you have lost a customer one thing I have learned in business is never critique the competition let your own reputation speak for itself. I think Topps has done a fine job with the Mars Attacks Occupation.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:
quote:

I just read the entire page and I didn't see it state anywhere that the series is exclusive to Kickstarter. It said the "add-ons" are exclusive (which is probably what caused the confusion), but not the series itself. It is difficult to imagine a big corporation like Topps creating a $120,000 series just for 356 people, and not exploit it further by selling it to the general public. They are not known for catering to a small clique of fan boys. (Quite the opposite. I'm not bitching, I'm just saying they are rather aloof when it comes to personal attention to customers. Try calling Topps headquarters and asking for information about a new or existing product and you'll see what I mean.) So if someone sees a written statement that the entire series is limited exclusively to Kickstarter, please point it out.

I don't know if this qualifies as a written statement, but the full page ad for Mars Occupation on the back of the latest NSU Price Guide says "Only On Kick Starter". The conclusion I draw from that is that it is exclusive as a distribution point. If that is not right, then Topps should clarify it.

Now certainly dealers are going to be able to make their pledges and will be selling the cards at some point. And they are going to wind up on the secondary market one way or another.

So in terms of the future of the hobby, not just of this single project, the more I hear about using Kick Starter for product roll out the less I like it. I would much rather support both the big and small publishers the old fashioned way, by buying their finished products. Just MHO.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
quote:

I don't know if this qualifies as a written statement, but the full page ad for Mars Occupation on the back of the latest NSU Price Guide says "Only On Kick Starter". The conclusion I draw from that is that it is exclusive as a distribution point. If that is not right, then Topps should clarify it.

Now certainly dealers are going to be able to make their pledges and will be selling the cards at some point. And they are going to wind up on the secondary market one way or another.

So in terms of the future of the hobby, not just of this single project, the more I hear about using Kick Starter for product roll out the less I like it. I would much rather support both the big and small publishers the old fashioned way, by buying their finished products. Just MHO.

During the Card Talk meeting at the Philly show it was stated that this is a Kickstarter Only product and it wasn't being released through other distribution outlets. My understanding is that this is being printed based on Kickstarter orders only, there will not be any extras made (aside from any needed for QA checks).

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is difficult to imagine a big corporation like Topps creating a $120,000 series just for 356 people, and not exploit it further by selling it to the general public.

You have a poor imagination.

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Uh, Microphone drop!!!

I was on the fence, but now I'm in.

I'm fairly sure that pretty much all non-sport efforts these days are made for "niche groups".
Productions runs must be at an all-time low. I'm just glad this set is getting made, whatever it takes, and this has already been a fascinating inside look at the production process.

Those critical of this effort would perhaps prefer virtual "Mars Attacks" cards to real ones? Not me.