Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
 Login/Join

Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
The Kickstarter just ended today, raising over $198,000.00 with 525 backers. That equals backers pledging an average of $377.00 each... one for the books! Congratulations to Adam on his very first and very successful campaign.

"Ack-ack-ack... Ack!!!"

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's some fresh info on this set. It's seems they've pretty much locked it all down, in terms of what it's going to be. We get this and new Star Wars in December? Good time to be a grown-up kid!

From Topps:

With just 39 surveys (7%) left to be turned in, the current estimates of what will be produced:

775 hobby boxes total
325 Dredd packs
35 sketch fat packs (10 red logo sketch per)
375 binders
55 variant binders
1150 red logo sketch cards
150 silver foil sets
35 Metal Sets

This is 1/6th the production quantity of Mars Attacks Invasion, the 2013 series. For that series, there were a little shy of 6000 boxes, meaning about 6000 sketches. Even with every sketch variant, it's currently looking like we'll top out at about 1300 total sketch cards for Mars Attacks, and about 350 for Dinosaurs Attack. We actually commissioned more than these numbers before the campaign launched, so in the event that we do wind up with excess sketch cards, we will distribute them into orders for no extra fee!

We're still figuring out autograph, letter-press numbers, and will announce those as soon as we can.

Al Ewing (Writer)
John McCrea (artist)
Jay Fotos (colorist)
We are hopeful to add at least a fourth signer."

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the 12 artists who have committed to providing sketches for the Judge Dredd packs. If this ends up being the full list, they need about 25 to 30 from each artist for the approx. 325 packs, which will have one sketch per pack.

1. Russ Maheras
2. Darrin Pepe
3. Tressina Bowling
4. Jason Chalker
5. Neil Camera
6. Marck Labas
7. Chris West
8. Robert Jimenez
9. Jason Crosby
10. Bill Maus
11. Patrick Giles
12. Chris Meeks

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's going to be around 850 boxes worth of 24 packs (although some will be issued in 4 pack lots, the bargain rate pledge level) so something closer to 800 sealed hobby boxes will be made. It was mentioned some leftover sketches may be used as box-toppers.

Here's the generally final list of sketch artists, although one or two more are hoped to be added if they get their cards in before packaging. I'm very pleased with the lineup and am glad to know the 10 Sketch "Fat Pack" I bought will have 10 different artists in it as they were hand collated to ensure that.

BASE SKETCH ARTISTS

Charles Hall
Robert Jimenez
Ben Dunn
Rhiannon Owens
Mary Bellamy
Scott Blair
Dan Brereton
Sam Kieth
Joe Hogan
Tim Proctor
Jeff Hogan
Layron DeJarnett
Val Hochberg
Mark Hammermeister
Howard Russell
Christopher McMillen
Patrick Giles
Chris West
Jason Crosby
Keith Graham
Miran Kim
Frank Kadar
Patrick Hamill
Brian DeGuire
Chris Mason
Jason Chalker
Ben Glendenning
James Bukauskas
Brad Albright
Carlos Cabaleiro
Ted Dastick Jr.
Joe Simko
Dwayne Biddix
Andy Lee
Eric Van Elslande
Roy Cover
Amber Shelton
Russ Maheras
Jason Flowers
Joel Biske
Rick Cortes
Bill Maus
Luke Parker
Jeff Zapata
Marck Labas
Rich Molinelli
Kris Penix
Neil Camera
Pablo Diaz
Dana Black
Peter Santa Maria
Jorge Baeza

CREATOR SKETCHES

Dan Brereton
Jeremy McHugh
Adam Levine
Bob Larkin
Ed Repka
Alex Horley

The odds of finding them, direct from Topps:
"As it stands now, the odds are as follows (and these only apply to hobby packs):

Red Logo (1:38)
Green Logo (1:93)
Creator (1:475)
Throwback (1:680)

Note that this is still subject to change, but this is looking like what it will be. This is also based on a full production run of 850 hobby boxes worth of packs (not necessarily 850 assembled boxes).

What's really great about this series is that, due to the lower number of needed sketches needed, each artist was only asked to do 25-50 cards each (only three artists opted to do more) meaning the quality is a lot more consistent.

And apart from a handful of exceptions (literally)-- the cards are ALL in full color."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Did this set get released yet?
I thoufht was due out in december but not seen
Any word anywhere?

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Dredd sketches? WHAT!?
How could I have missed that?
Also: Grok!!

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paul hart:
Did this set get released yet?
I thoufht was due out in december but not seen
Any word anywhere?

Paul~ The schedule now has it shipping in February. They've been releasing updates (and many images) via the original Kickstarter page.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Late March shipping for early April delivery is the current plan...

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Late March shipping for early April delivery is the current plan...

Sorry to hear this - I didn't participate in the Kickstarter, but still it must be irritating to sit thru delays like this.

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
I had so many people that wanted this in uk but who can afford to pay for something 10 months in adavance-we are talking printed paper not a ROLLS ROYCE!! I hipe they do make some base & chase available-in this day and age why limit something that people have previously been able to buy without all this fuss!
Rant over!!

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree with the delay as I have been getting updates on a regular basis and it's been quite interesting to see the process unfold - yesterday all subscribers received update # 123 and we can expect more updates on a regular basis the only reason for the delay was that they were awaiting original artwork for some of the base/chase cards. Consider this happens all the time with just about all manufacturers you just don't know about it because it is never announced why sets are delayed, with few exceptions.

You also have to consider that this set was never going to happen as a traditional release so at least by supporting the Kickstarter campaign we as collectors got an opportunity to make the set happen which is a much better option than having nothing at all. I understand it can be a hardship putting up money and having to wait months for a product but no system is perfect again that was the only way this set was going to see the light of day.

I am looking forward to receiving my pledge in April! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with Batman. While most of the concepts and ideas were in place, they probably didn't really get the ball rolling until the Kickstarter campaign. So if it's been 10 months since then, that's probably about the normal turnaround time for a card set. It's not like you paid for something that was already somewhere in production - this was still likely a lot of ideas and concepts on paper when pledges were being made.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Paul Hart, although I know darn well that this is normal production time. The NSU editorial by Alan Biegel in the current Feb./March issue actually addresses the pros and cons of Kickstarter card campaigns.

I actually think the idea of a custom made card set of a fairly limited nature on a title that wouldn't be made is a great idea. However the huge drawback is the problem of pre-paying for an item that is in process and you won't see for 10 - 12 months.

I can't do that. I would rather have the money available for releasing sets or when sales come along. I can't tie it up in something I won't have for a year. For collectors who don't mind that it's great, but it isn't really a matter of opinion so much as it is a matter of personal finances.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
But that is the whole gamble of kickstarter, you are buying a dream, not a finished product. These products wouldn't be produced without funding so you can't expect the products to be ready in a week. So far I have funded two projects. One by axebone and Rihanna Owens - still waiting 3 years later and the benchwarmer dreamgirls project - 3 months late. I don't fund many lol. If you don't want the gamble stay well away but don't expect the product straight away or at all without it.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
But that is the whole gamble of kickstarter, you are buying a dream, not a finished product. These products wouldn't be produced without funding so you can't expect the products to be ready in a week. So far I have funded two projects. One by axebone and Rihanna Owens - still waiting 3 years later and the benchwarmer dreamgirls project - 3 months late. I don't fund many lol. If you don't want the gamble stay well away but don't expect the product straight away or at all without it.

I've funded over a dozen kickstarter and indiegogo campaigns now. Not all of them have been card-related, maybe less than half. Of those my success rate is running maybe 50%, meaning I've received what was promised in a reasonable time period. Most card/graphic novel campaigns seem to run late (not all, thankfully). In one case, I actually received the promo cards and the sketch card early, but am still waiting for the book, almost three years later! In another case, let's call the guy 'Mr. Vegas', well, I don't believe that I'll ever see anything there. Pretty sure he just took all of our money and went on the biggest bender ever...
Shake Head Mad Twak

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a P1 promo, with color variants, at the Philly show and through NSU, I believe

There is also a KS1 with the NSU logo

Now the Kickstarter rewards includes promo P3

Where is P2 ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
P2 was in the variant binder. 50 made

You had to pledge $ 700 to get it

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post