Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
We have some news on the blog today about the next all-new Mars Attacks series, Mars Attacks: Occupation:

Topps Announces Mars Attacks Sequel

As the story notes, they'll be lots more coming up inside NSU.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see the new set...

But...

Am I the only one that thinks Topps is big enough to fund their own sets? Little guys using Kickstarter I get, but Topps?

Hopefully there are some neat pledge awards that make this more than just a normal card set.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do with it.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Ed, I had the exact same feeling about Topps going to kickstarter. I doubt that they really need it to produce their release.
Kickstarter, however, is an interesting platform to generate hype and media attention. When timed in the right way, adding stretch goals and revealing other additional perks, may very well attract more potential buyers than a regular launch would. Just look at the mad success of the Ghostbusters Boardgame. It's not as if Cryptozoic couldn't have done without Kickstarter. It's mainly allowed all the people who wanted that boardgame orginally to excitedly discuss it on facebook and twitter.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I agree with both Ed and monkeyafterdark. This may be a good way for Topps to test product make up or advertise. I do wonder about using kickstarter as a platform. Half the time I don't get the promised incentives.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Kickstarter has become an advertising platform for companies now. Of course Kickstarter only care about projects that reach their goal as they get 5%. Companies with access to large followings on social media are going to be the most successful on Kickstarter.

I guess with this set, the more that is pledged, the more that is added to the set?

Gotta say I've never been a backer, but read of many people who have received all their incentives and others that didn't get anything. Seems like a real hit and miss.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
As far as Kickstarter goes, the main thing to keep in mind is that you are pledging so that the product exists in the first place, not for the rewards. If you do that, you won't be (as) disappointed.

I pledged $100 to the Veronica Mars movie, for example, and I didn't get $100 of rewards: a t-shirt so thin it was literally see through, a pdf of the script that was never opened, a digital copy of the movie only viewable on a service I don't have access to, a blu-ray of the movie (which was on sale for $10 within a month of release), and a poster which arrived damaged. Pretty much I gave them $100 and didn't get back that value, but I gave so that the product would exist at all and not because I wanted the rewards. That said, I have stopped doing Kickstarter/crowd funding because I have not gotten anything after a year + on three different projects now (although, two of them keep doing updates so there is a chance they could pay off, just a year behind schedule -- the other one took the money and ran).

There is still a little something off to me when big companies crowd fund but I have read Topps' reasoning and understand.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Can't wait to see the new set...

But...

Am I the only one that thinks Topps is big enough to fund their own sets? Little guys using Kickstarter I get, but Topps?
Ed

No, not the only one. Wink

Posts: 10361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Topps can fund their own sets.

But this is not about funding. This is about giving a more niche property like Mars Attacks the ability to deliver a better product than we could achieve otherwise.

It will allow fans to purchase it the way they want to. It will allow us to sell it globally, and of course, we will add content based on the level of support we receive, something we couldn't do without Kickstarter. This will ensure that the profit we make will be poured back into the product, and the fans will be the beneficiaries of its success.

It also allows us to be more flexible with production to get better results than we could otherwise on a product like this.

As for rewards, this will not be designed as a PBS style fundraiser with a tote bag and a t-shirt, because fundraising is not what this is about.

By pledging on Kickstarter you'll essentially be pre-ordering the product. A box of cards. A case. A master set. A bundle with add-ons. Lots of options, ways to buy, and unique rewards we'll announce shortly.

It's going to be a lot of fun, mostly because fans will get to have a say in the building of the set.

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:

But this is not about funding. This is about giving a more niche property like Mars Attacks the ability to deliver a better product than we could achieve otherwise.

It will allow fans to purchase it the way they want to. It will allow us to sell it globally, and of course, we will add content based on the level of support we receive, something we couldn't do without Kickstarter. This will ensure that the profit we make will be poured back into the product, and the fans will be the beneficiaries of its success.

It also allows us to be more flexible with production to get better results than we could otherwise on a product like this.

As for rewards, this will not be designed as a PBS style fundraiser with a tote bag and a t-shirt, because fundraising is not what this is about.

By pledging on Kickstarter you'll essentially be pre-ordering the product. A box of cards. A case. A master set. A bundle with add-ons. Lots of options, ways to buy, and unique rewards we'll announce shortly.

It's going to be a lot of fun, mostly because fans will get to have a say in the building of the set.

[RANT]

Highlighted sections are part of my main beef with the whole thing.

I, as a loyal buyer of Topps products, will no longer have the opportunity to serve the marketplace. What do I tell my customers? "Go buy from Kickstarter?"

I see this as another way Topps is cutting out dealers and distributors from the food chain. Might come back to bite them if we quit ordering other stuff. Topps make more money when they sell at retail to the end customer, plain and simple.

But, who is taking care of the customers without a computer? It used to be dealers, but we were cut out of the deal. So you're losing customers at the same time you might attract some new ones.

Time will tell, but I really don't like the idea of buying at retail and marking it up non-computer and show customers.

[/RANT]

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I'm not a dealer and I won't address that aspect of it.

Purely as a collector, the statement seems to say we are making this product, but if we raise more money on Kickstarter from the public in pre-sale mode we will make a better product. To quote "the fans will be the beneficiaries of its success".

I just don't know how you can prove that statement. What are your goals in terms of participation and when have you raised enough money? What exactly are you adding to the product that you couldn't have added without Kickstarter monies?

Not trying to nit pick, just trying to figure out how you are taking a crowd funding platform for new ideas and turnimg it into a pre pre-sale device.

Posts: 10361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fair enough question. And we will announce exactly what we'll be adding and what extras/bonuses/upgrades fans will get throughout the campaign.

So it will not be a mystery. I fully plan complete transparency and visibility, and that's another thing that is easier with kickstarter.

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply Martian Commander, I'm sure this project will generate a lot of interest.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Thanks for your reply Martian Commander, I'm sure this project will generate a lot of interest.

I sure hope you're right!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:

[RANT]

Highlighted sections are part of my main beef with the whole thing.

I, as a loyal buyer of Topps products, will no longer have the opportunity to serve the marketplace. What do I tell my customers? "Go buy from Kickstarter?"

I see this as another way Topps is cutting out dealers and distributors from the food chain. Might come back to bite them if we quit ordering other stuff. Topps make more money when they sell at retail to the end customer, plain and simple.

But, who is taking care of the customers without a computer? It used to be dealers, but we were cut out of the deal. So you're losing customers at the same time you might attract some new ones.

Time will tell, but I really don't like the idea of buying at retail and marking it up non-computer and show customers.

[/RANT]

Ed

As another dealer, I'm not thrilled with this either. Apparently Topps wants to be in the retail business. The thing that I find laughable about this whole Kickstarter thing is that apparently, the only way that Topps can see to make a killer set ON A PROPERTY THAT THEY OWN AND THERE ARE NO LICSENSING FEES is for people to pony up to the table and give them money based on what a set MIGHT be.

I did fairly well with the 2nd set (Heritage, not so much) and would have bought this one, but if Topps is going to be my competition for selling, I will likely pass.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With this project there is no doubt that we are trying something new and very different for Topps, and the outcome is anyone’s guess. It’s understandable that some folks may not be entirely thrilled.

That said, I’m a little confused when you say “what a set MIGHT be.”

When our campaign goes live in early May, we will begin by offering what we feel is a strong product, complete with all the trimmings: chase cards, parallels, sketches, autos and other hits.

If we exceed our initial goal there will be opportunities to add even more content and 'add-on' items that we couldn't do unless we hit certain levels.

The idea here is that the more support we attract, the more dollars we can pour right back into the product and give back to our fans. We’ll be rewarding those who “pony up” as you call it.

We couldn’t do that without Kickstarter.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I applaud this new venture. It's a way to get collectors involved in the process. Another card company recently did a Kickstarter for a licensed board game. In the end, more content was added to the product via "milestones", so in the end the consumer was the winner.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm all in!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will be revealing the first batch of pledge levels tomorrow, but only to those signed up through our website

www.topps.com/marsattacks

There will be 10-12 pledge levels total, but this will reveal the first 4.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
The Topps Mars Attacks: Occupation Kickstarter is now live. It's already reached 70 percent of its goal after just 90 minutes. Have a look and enjoy the video - its quite entertaining!

Mars Attacks Occupation Trading Cards

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received the message that the first 500 who pledge for "a physical product" get an exclusive Garbage Pail kids promo

$20 gets you 4 packs. Do they count as "physical products" ? anyone know ?

Posts: 4711 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post