Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation
 Login/Join
 
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now certainly dealers are going to be able to make their pledges and will be selling the cards at some point. And they are going to wind up on the secondary market one way or another.


Well, as there are currently 3 dealer pledges for three 8 box cases, there should be at least 24 boxes available on the retail market when the time comes, haha.

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 3087 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now certainly dealers are going to be able to make their pledges and will be selling the cards at some point. And they are going to wind up on the secondary market one way or another.


Well, as there are currently 3 dealer pledges for three 8 box cases, there should be at least 24 boxes available on the retail market when the time comes, haha.


So far i've counted something like 300-400 boxes pre-ordered (give or take-- can't tell precisely yet since boxes are available as an add-on and we won't know until post-close what people selected).

But even at that number we're still set to make a decent return (thanks to our format), so i'm happy. If we end at $150K or so, we'll make a nice profit and fans will get a great value on what might wind up being the rarest card set in Topps' history.

Unless half our pledgers are getting it to flip, I doubt we'll see much of this in the aftermarket, frankly. But I am betting that most fans are pledging to own.
 
Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now certainly dealers are going to be able to make their pledges and will be selling the cards at some point. And they are going to wind up on the secondary market one way or another.


Well, as there are currently 3 dealer pledges for three 8 box cases, there should be at least 24 boxes available on the retail market when the time comes, haha.


So if that true, which it won't be when the time comes, exactly how is that helpful to the hobby? Do you think that limited product and no retail will make the cards worth a gazillion dollars? Not really, but that's not the issue.

I don't think collectors realize what a radical change it would be if card manufacturers take to Kick Starter to roll out new product as a new distribution method. It's not about this one set, it's about changing how cards are made, who gets to be in the business of selling them and how collectors must buy in order to get them.

It could change everything, so don't laugh and be careful what you ask for. Wink
 
Posts: 9361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I don't think collectors realize what a radical change it would be if card manufacturers take to Kick Starter to roll out new product as a new distribution method. It's not about this one set, it's about changing how cards are made, who gets to be in the business of selling them and how collectors must buy in order to get them.

It could change everything, so don't laugh and be careful what you ask for. Wink


This is not a paradigm shift. It's one niche set going directly to the collectors that want it. No reason to fear monger.
 
Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:
This is not a paradigm shift. It's one niche set going directly to the collectors that want it. No reason to fear monger.


I got that MC, not talking against the set at all, sorry if it came across that way.

I was just responding to the idea that it is good to have ever limited product that no one can find to buy. I know how overproduction can hurt the hobby, but what is the sense of under production?

Anyway, no offense to you, you are doing your job.
 
Posts: 9361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I was just responding to the idea that it is good to have ever limited product that no one can find to buy. I know how overproduction can hurt the hobby, but what is the sense of under production?


The thing here is just finding a way to produce a set that has a smaller audience (which is challenging at a company with high expectations) and a set that would not otherwise be produced through the traditional distribution model.
 
Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
You are out of line especially since you are running a kick starter at the same time? I was going to participate in your program but you have lost a customer one thing I have learned in business is never critique the competition let your own reputation speak for itself. I think Topps has done a fine job with the Mars Attacks Occupation.


What are you talking about me "criticizing" Topps? I'm pointing out that someone is mistaken in their belief that this series is exclusive to Kickstarter. As a customer-- you should want to know that. And as a manufacturer, TOPPS would want you to know that also-- because if people incorrectly think they are getting an exclusive item when it is not, they will feel ripped off when more of the same product turns up at regular retail. So I'm not criticizing Topps, I'm doing them a favor. If a false rumor goes unchecked, it becomes a common perception, and the next thing you know, you have tons of angry customers on your hands.

My love of Mars Attacks is no secret, and I have written several published articles about it. I credited the series with getting me to collect Nonsports in the first place. (I'm writing another article right now on their last series, "Re-invasion" which I liked a lot.) I am also personal friends with one of the people directly involved in the "Occupation" project, and I already emailed him to alert him about the misconception that the series is exclusive to the campaign (though it's a holiday weekend and I haven't heard back yet). Moreover, I'm pledging in their Kickstarter as well! So you're suspicions about my motives and negative intentions are unfounded.

For the record, I wouldn't want anyone here or elsewhere to make claims about my Kickstarter that customers are getting something different than what I'm promising, including any statement that my series is exclusive to Kickstarter. I didn't make that claim, Topps didn't make that claim, and the person who made the comment was just making an honest mistake (because the "Add-ons" ARE exclusive to Kickstarter, but they don't say the rest of the product is). So I did what I would hope others would do for me if the shoe were on the other foot. I challenged the rumor before it became accepted fact. (If I'm wrong, and it IS exclusive to Kickstarter, I asked for someone to correct me. And if I get an email from my friend saying I'm wrong, I'll share it with you. But if anything, I expect he'll appreciate that I didn't stand by and ignore what could become a PR nightmare.)

Now I did repeat a well known fact that Topps is not known for its phone support of Nonsport fan boys (like me). I did that to show how faulty the logic is that they would waste one of their biggest franchise titles to produce something for just 356 collectors. But Topps is a big corporation, so what do you expect? And I specifically said that I was NOT complaining. As a M.A. fan boy (I prefer the term, "fanatic") I accept the reality that big corporations cannot tie up their switchboard every time I have a question about a card series (especially one from the 1960s) that I collect, enjoy, and need information about, just so I can write an article about it. (An article that basically serves as a free advertisement for them in a well regarded Nonsports magazine.)

Does that really sound like someone out to "criticize the competition?"

Besides, do you seriously think my small "one or two card series a year" company is competition for Topps? (I'm flattered if you do, but I don't. And I can assure you Topps doesn't either.)

So reread my post with an open mind, and I think you'll realize you assumed the worst without good reason. Maybe you thought my gushing review of their M.A. video was being sarcastic. It wasn't. I honestly thought it was (and is) the best Kickstarter video I've even seen, PERIOD.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease." -Papa Prell
 
Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
As I promised earlier (like 2:30 AM early), I would share my friend's answer if it turns out I was mistaken about the exclusivity of the M.A. release. And I am. He emailed me back and said it IS exclusive to Kickstarter. He also said that there was disharmony about that decision at Topps, which could account for the unclear "messaging."

Of course, if it hadn't been so late at night and I had finished reading the other comments AFTER the one accusing me of trying to sabotage my favorite Topps franchise, I would have read that there were OTHER places where the "exclusive to Kickstarter" claim had been made. (NSU and the Philly show, but I had only seen the actual Kickstarter page.) So while I was mistaken about that point, I'm still glad I raised it-- and asked for others to show me where it said otherwise. That's important information worth knowing.

So that's a belief I had that turned out to be wrong, and I'm glad I got it clarified before the campaign ended. (So I can increase my pledge!) I also hope I made it clear that the allegation that I was "out of line", backstabbing, or trying to denigrate Topps to somehow help my own Kickstarter is wrong as well. There are people on this thread who are criticizing Topps for their Kickstarter campaign, but I'm not one of them. If anything, I crowed about the quality of their video, and I'm still amazed they would limit the reach of such a popular product in this way.

On the other hand, I guess it goes to demonstrate another point. While we think anything Mars Attacks is a big deal, Topps main business is sports cards, and anything Nonsports isn't as significant on their radar screen. That's a real shame-- because when the martians do invade Earth, that's where our earliest warning will first appear...

____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease." -Papa Prell
 
Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:

So that's a belief I had that turned out to be wrong, and I'm glad I got it clarified before the campaign ended. (So I can increase my pledge!) I also hope I made it clear that the allegation that I was "out of line", backstabbing, or trying to denigrate Topps to somehow help my own Kickstarter is wrong as well. There are people on this thread who are criticizing Topps for their Kickstarter campaign, but I'm not one of them. If anything, I crowed about the quality of their video, and I'm still amazed they would limit the reach of such a popular product in this way. .


Thanks for posting the response from TOPPS and clearing it up once and for all. It was always my understanding that the entire release was exclusive to this campaign, but I also still believe that some product will get to the secondary market eventually. It always does and it should, that is the hobby after all.

And for the record, I too am not criticizing TOPPS. I have bought every version of Mars Attacks that has been re-released and re-imaged in the past couple of years. I am a fan. Like you, I would have thought that such a popular title would not be the subject for such an exclusive release, but it is. And if it turns out that very little shows up after market, that's what it is too.
 
Posts: 9361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:

So that's a belief I had that turned out to be wrong, and I'm glad I got it clarified before the campaign ended. (So I can increase my pledge!) I also hope I made it clear that the allegation that I was "out of line", backstabbing, or trying to denigrate Topps to somehow help my own Kickstarter is wrong as well. There are people on this thread who are criticizing Topps for their Kickstarter campaign, but I'm not one of them. If anything, I crowed about the quality of their video, and I'm still amazed they would limit the reach of such a popular product in this way. .


Thanks for posting the response from TOPPS and clearing it up once and for all. It was always my understanding that the entire release was exclusive to this campaign, but I also still believe that some product will get to the secondary market eventually. It always does and it should, that is the hobby after all.

And for the record, I too am not criticizing TOPPS. I have bought every version of Mars Attacks that has been re-released and re-imaged in the past couple of years. I am a fan. Like you, I would have thought that such a popular title would not be the subject for such an exclusive release, but it is. And if it turns out that very little shows up after market, that's what it is too.


Not sure who his friend is at Topps because it wasn't me and i'm the only one working on this project.

But whoever it is, he's not wrong.
 
Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
I didn't say he worked at Topps. I said he worked directly with this project. He is one of the main subcontractors. I don't know that it is a secret or would cause embarrassment to name him-- nothing bad or incorrect was stated or revealed. But I wouldn't want to publicly name him without checking with him first. You could always contact me directly if you have further questions. (Just follow my member link.)

Since you're on the line, I'd love to hear more about that killer video. It really is a personal favorite. Can you tell us how it came about and what all was involved?

____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease." -Papa Prell
 
Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since you're on the line, I'd love to hear more about that killer video. It really is a personal favorite. Can you tell us how it came about and what all was involved?


I wrote it. My boss approved it (to my surprise) and I had a buddy of mine-- who happens to specialize in such projects-- make the video.

It's significantly more tame than I originally envisioned, too. The last scene was supposed to be a baby being tossed into a microwave.

Thanks for pledging today. Appreciate your support.
 
Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Then you deserve one of those two Oscars I mentioned earlier (for writing it), and your buddy the other Oscar (for making it). I've seen hilarious stuff that good on Comedy Central's "Adult Swim", but never that quality on Kickstater before. Kudos!

____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease." -Papa Prell
 
Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Final Kickstarter surprise upgrade for this:

a 6 card photo set based on the instant classic "Mars Attacks:Occupation" Kickstarter commercial, with one of the cards depicting the now legendary "Baby in the Microwave" lost scene.

Make it happen, M.c.!

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 3087 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of hoffmaster007
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds like an add-on I'd really like to see happen! Great idea!
 
Posts: 161 | Location: Harrisburg Pa U.S.A. | Registered: August 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to this as collector. To be selfish, I don't care how product is made/distributed as long as I get something I want. The pledge levels aren't a perfect fit for me, but based on numbers, seems good for most. I'm surprised that some of current pledge numbers are as low as they are. Not sure if Kickstarter has options to limit the total number of add-ons, but that would have made things more flexible and interesting. It would allow for collectors to bundle a 'set/box/chase' pledge with one of the special items. For example, I think being a 'helpless victim' would be a hoot, but I'd rather have that pledge based on 'burning flesh' level instead of 'prize captive'. Personally, I'd rather have concept/metal sets than be on a card, but if options allowed me for both, then something I would have considered. (But for that price I would also expect to get the original art instead of a signed print. I would hope the current backers will have access to artist to work a deal if they so choose.)
I'm sure there will be secondary market; albeit way much smaller than we are used to. Probably like finding Marvel masterpieces '96 singles. Gonna be super tough to finish some of the chase sets by hand, if not near impossible. I shared this info with my local comic book store and pledging add-ons to share with them, so at least 1 comic book store in NJ will sell packs and boxes. As I want to attempt to get all the Auto's available, I'll probably open 'some' boxes and hope I don't get carried away and open all of them. This is what I don't like about having rare hits in a product that has such a short print run; again from a collectors perspective. It might be nuts to try to complete an auto set if there are lots of auto cards. It also appears that there are multiple auto cards with the Dredd packs, so will need to order multiple packs. (Adam: Has that been fleshed out yet? or is there a 'no more than' number? Can answer here and KS, and/or feel free to email me.)
For the secondary market, I should have stuff left over for the May Philly show and NJ comic book shows as don't do stuff online.
I also like that 6-photo chase idea Chesspiece came up with.

____________________
"If you buy what you like, you'll like what you have."
 
Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stuff_guy:
I'm looking forward to this as collector. To be selfish, I don't care how product is made/distributed as long as I get something I want. The pledge levels aren't a perfect fit for me, but based on numbers, seems good for most. I'm surprised that some of current pledge numbers are as low as they are. Not sure if Kickstarter has options to limit the total number of add-ons, but that would have made things more flexible and interesting. It would allow for collectors to bundle a 'set/box/chase' pledge with one of the special items. For example, I think being a 'helpless victim' would be a hoot, but I'd rather have that pledge based on 'burning flesh' level instead of 'prize captive'. Personally, I'd rather have concept/metal sets than be on a card, but if options allowed me for both, then something I would have considered. (But for that price I would also expect to get the original art instead of a signed print. I would hope the current backers will have access to artist to work a deal if they so choose.)
I'm sure there will be secondary market; albeit way much smaller than we are used to. Probably like finding Marvel masterpieces '96 singles. Gonna be super tough to finish some of the chase sets by hand, if not near impossible. I shared this info with my local comic book store and pledging add-ons to share with them, so at least 1 comic book store in NJ will sell packs and boxes. As I want to attempt to get all the Auto's available, I'll probably open 'some' boxes and hope I don't get carried away and open all of them. This is what I don't like about having rare hits in a product that has such a short print run; again from a collectors perspective. It might be nuts to try to complete an auto set if there are lots of auto cards. It also appears that there are multiple auto cards with the Dredd packs, so will need to order multiple packs. (Adam: Has that been fleshed out yet? or is there a 'no more than' number? Can answer here and KS, and/or feel free to email me.)
For the secondary market, I should have stuff left over for the May Philly show and NJ comic book shows as don't do stuff online.
I also like that 6-photo chase idea Chesspiece came up with.


Judge Dredd, like the main set, will be printed to order. So you can order as many as you like. The only add-on so far we're limiting is the Fat Sketch Pack.

EDIT: As for the original art, we do not own that-- it's retained by the artist, so really up to them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martian Commander,
 
Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
With just a few days to go in the Topps Mars Attacks: Occupation Kickstarter campaign, we've spoken with artist Jason Crosby about his sports-themed contribution to the series and his fantastic art. It's on the NSU blog today:

Jason Crosby and the Sport of Mars
 
Posts: 12964 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
My pledge keeps growing....Looking forward to these cards.
 
Posts: 840 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:
My pledge keeps growing....Looking forward to these cards.


I appreciate it! Trying to make sure everyone gets their money's worth and more. My feeling about this is that a lot of our diehards are willing to spend BIG money-- and they should never feel like it was wasted, or even a risk of it.
 
Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps Announces Mars Attacks: Occupation

© Non-Sport Update 2013