Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps 2011 American Pie
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps 2011 American Pie
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Another set that caught me off guard...

10 years after the first American Pie set, Topps brings us another set covering the years from the end of WWII to present. Unlike the first set, this one is strictly non-sport. Here's the information from my newsletter...

quote:
2011 American Pie
Topps
December 12

The first American Pie set was a sleeper hit with lots of surprising non-sport content. This time, it’s mostly non-sport and it’s full of autos, cut autos, buyback cards, relic cards, and more. Covers the years from the end of WWII to present chronicling the people, events, fads, and fashions over 6 decades with 3 “big hits” (autographs, relics, cut signatures, autographed relics, patches, stamps, or coin cards) and one buyback card in every box. The set looks like this:

200 Card Base Set
200 Card Foil Parallel Set (1:4 Packs)
200 Card Spotlight Parallel Set (numbered to 76)

Insert cards (1 in every pack that does not have a parallel)
50 Card Hollywood Walk of Fame Set (1:3 Packs)
30 Card Fads & Fashions Set (1:4 Packs)
20 Card Hirsute History (Hair styles and facial hair fads) Set (1:6 Packs)

Buyback Cards (1 Per Hobby Box)

Autographs, Relics, & Autograph Relic Cards of:
• Charlie Sheen
• Bob Costas
• Mickey Rooney
• Jimmie Walker
• Maxim Chmerkovskiy
• Shanna Moakler
• Tom Arnold
• Trista Sutter
• Kato Kaelin
• Andrew Zimmern
• John O’Hurley
• Tia Carrere
• Henry Winkler
• Sean Astin
• Buddy Valastro
• Carmen Electra
• Jack Hanna
• Chris Hansen
• Naomi Judd
• Susan Lucci
• Butch Patrick
• Billy Baldwin
• Chynna Phillips
• Larry Thomas
• Bret Michaels
• John Ratzenberger
• Wilmer Valderama
• Jeffrey Ross
• Vincent Pastore
• Paul Teutul, Sr.
• Joey Fatone
• Gilbert Gottfried
• Dean Cain
• Justin Willman
• Joe Gannascoli

RELIC CARDS
• HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME PATCHES: 25 cards featuring a celebrity with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a specially created patch of that star. Sequentially #’d to 50.
• HOLLYWOOD SIGN LETTER PATCHES: These jumbo relic cards feature a letter patch in the style of the famed Hollywood sign. 25 subjects will have 25 of each letter available. Sequentially #’d to 25.
• HOLLYWOOD SIGN FOLD-OUT LETTER PATCHES: A full version of the above cards, all 25 subjects will have a book card available that folds out to reveal the entirety of the Hollywood sign! ONE OF ONE! HOBBY EXCLUSIVE!
• AMERICAN PIE RELICS: Cards featuring a relic piece from 50 celebrities and other pop culture icons.
• AMERICAN PIECES RELICS: Cards featuring a relic from uniquely American items, monuments, and locales.
• AMERICAN PIE STAMP COLLECTION: 15 cards featuring a great American event or person and a stamp from that year or the person’s year of birth. Numbered to 76.
• AMERICAN PIE COIN COLLECTION: 75 cards featuring a great American event or person and a coin from that year or the person’s year of birth. Each subject will have five versions available: Penny, Nickel, Dime, Quarter, and Half-Dollar. Each is numbered to 76.

AUTOGRAPH CARDS
• AMERICAN PIE AUTOGRAPHS: 40 celebrities and other pop culture icons sign 200 autographs each.
• BUYBACK AUTOGRAPHS: Select subjects will sign additional autographs on repurchased Topps cards of the
• past. Hand-numbered.
• AMERICAN PIE CUT SIGNATURES: 50 cards featuring an authentic signature from the biggest names in American
• culture and history. ONE OF ONE!
• AMERICAN PIE DUAL CUT SIGNATURES: 10 book cards featuring 2 authentic signatures. ONE OF ONE!
• AMERICAN PIE QUAD CUT SIGNATURES: 5 book cards featuring 4 authentic signatures. ONE OF ONE!

AUTOGRAPH RELIC CARDS
• AMERICAN PIE AUTOGRAPH RELICS: The 40 celebrity signers will sign an additional 50 autographs each, which will be paired with a relic piece. Sequentially #’d to 50.
• AMERICAN PIE CUT SIGNATURE RELICS: 5 cards featuring an authentic signature and relevant relic piece from the biggest names in American culture and history. ONE OF ONE!

Lots of variety there. Should be popular with the Americana collectors.

Really surprised it took this long for Topps to revive this property.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like an interesting set, some of the chase subsets are pretty cool. Sport card guys are not happy about this set at all, but that's fine!

There are a lot of repeat signers again. . . at least most of 'em carry some decent value. . . but man, I'm starting to see why so many well known sports star autograph cards are dirt cheap. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
There are a lot of repeat signers again. . . at least most of 'em carry some decent value. . . but man, I'm starting to see why so many well known sports star autograph cards are dirt cheap. . .

Jon

That's exactly why I stopped collecting sports autographs, most Hall of Famers on certified cards can be found for less than $25. Any star in the Pros for more than 10 years is also dropping, with only a few exceptions. Only the unproven talent is still going for high prices, and that's just until they flame out or become veterans. With sports cards a player's potential has always seemed to be worth more than an actual record. Big Grin

But the real culprit is the accumulation of authentic autograph cards over time. As the supply grows to meet the demand the prices come down. Even though many sports stars sign a limited number of cards in each set, there was a point when you had dozens of insert sets a year manufactured, so 100 times 24 is not limited. Certified sports autograph cards became comeplace around 1998, so we have had over a decade of signing for fees straight fron the card company. Its no wonder that most stars and HOF signatures can now be found in the dealer bargain boxes.

And those non-sport autographs that are repeat and multiple set signers are going to hit the saturation point too, if they haven't already.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MRNONSPORT
posted Hide Post
Any one know if American Pie still has a 12-14-2011 release date.

Posts: 40 | Location: PA | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard anything different.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about a movie set, since there's another American Pie movie coming out. My bad.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up a few packs of these from a gravity feed box at Wal-Mart
today. The base cards are grouped by decade, starting with the 1940's
through the 2000's. I pulled one of the "hirsute history" inserts and
a couple of the Hollywood walk of Fame cards. I also pulled a Mickey
Rooney American Pie Relics Costume card and one of the Hollywood Sign
Letter Patch cards of Groucho Marx nummbered 01/25. Pretty nice cards
all-in-all I'd say. I may have to get a few more packs, possibly a box!
Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
I bought a box today and pulled a Henry Winkler shirt card, James Cagney Hollywood Letter Patch "O" 14/25 (the box advertises 3 Autos or Memorabilia per box, how does that count as memorabilia?), and a Sean Astin autograph. I also pulled a buyback card from a set I couldn't identify(Maya?) with a "Topps American Pie" stamp in silver foil in the upper corner. The base set cards have some neat references but are kind of ugly and the card stock is super thin.

After collating the base cards I got 158 of the 200 cards in the set with no dupes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DewMan,

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
What is Topps' track record with redemptions? I'm interested in a couple for this set, but I don't want to spend a lot of money buying them and end up not getting the actual cards.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
What is Topps' track record with redemptions? I'm interested in a couple for this set, but I don't want to spend a lot of money buying them and end up not getting the actual cards.

Well no one is like Artbox, where you pull a redemption and are left to wait for eternity, but its tricky to go out and purchase a redemption. I won't do it! I would rather hold off until the redeemed card pops up and I will pay the higher cost for it. Bad enough that it can't be helped if you actually pack pull a redemption, but most of the time you will get your card and Topps is reasonably good at it. There are always exceptions however.

I can remember way back when I was buying sportscards and I pulled a redemption for an autograph card, I believe from Topps, but I wouldn't swear to it as I also did a lot of UD at the time. Anyway when the envelope came it contained another autograph card from the same set, along with a letter explaining that this was a substitute of "comparable" value because the original signature was not obtained. Trouble was it wasn't comparable value to a collector, only to the manufacturer. The original card that was promised was worth a lot more than the common autograph that was ultimately sent. And that has happened more than once, so you have to decide if you want to take some risk or avoid redemptions altogether.

Having gotten burned before, I stay away now, but that's just me. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Raven. I was concerned that if Topps was as bad as UD, I definitely wouldn't chance it. The card I want is really high in price right now, so I think it's best if I hold off for a while.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
Thanks, Raven. I was concerned that if Topps was as bad as UD, I definitely wouldn't chance it. The card I want is really high in price right now, so I think it's best if I hold off for a while.

You're welcome. I would wait too, but be aware that the already high price will still likely go up if and when the actual card makes an appearance. At that point the sellers will want to be paid more for the extra work of redeeming it and the demand will increase because less risk will attract more buyers. I hate redemptions. Twak

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
The card was the only one on eBay at the time and sold for $405. More have been listed, so we'll see where the redemption price settles. Maybe it'll stay high, in which case I'll have to admire the card from afar.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I've been looking through the box break thread and noticed that people are getting hits from blaster boxes. Is there a guarantee of an insert in each box?

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I have opened over 10 blaster boxes and I have gotten a hit in each one, in many cases two hits. Also, they can't be searched! Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
That's great! Did you find them at Walmart or Target, and if you don't mind mentioning it, what's the price per box? I may have to go look for some right after Christmas.

posted Hide Post
I've opened several basters and each had a hit. Mostly relics (either actual or manufactured HOLLYWOOD patches). I've been buying at Target, the cost is $20 per.

I haven't hit an autograph out of a blaster yet, but I did find 1 stamp card, 1 coin card, and 3 buy backs (the buy backs were in addition to the hit).

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
My experience is the opposite of Webjon, I have pulled a number of autos but no stamp or coin cards. I did pull a cool "Grassy Knoll" soil card, very cool! Also, you get 8 packs from a blaster box, a savings of about $4 if you brought individual packs.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Smile It sounds like the retail boxes are a good option. There are 24 packs with three hits in a hobby box and eight packs with one hit (possibly two) in a blaster. I'm surprised that the insert ratios are basically the same.