Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Ghostbusters (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghostbusters (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I think it's a matter of the thing called "tact". Some people have it to a fault and can't really say anything meaningful at all for the fear of offending people. Some people have little to none and invariably do offend people. The answer, as it tends to be in most cases, is to try and land somewhere in the middle.

The idea is, speak your peace, but think about the words you're using to do so. Generalization and name-calling are certainly things to avoid. Works OK for me, at least here, since a trading card forum is pretty much the LAST place I'd want to argue with anyone, but I try to extend my Card Talk "persona" into my regular life as well, and I find that being encouraging and helpful when I can is its own reward. If cards weren't fun for me, I'd have quit them long ago. Same goes for life, I suppose.

And remember, if all else fails, there's always that nifty "ignore" button.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
So in thinking about this new set there are some good autograph possibilities:

Ghostbusters
Ivan Reitman
Dan Aykroyd
Bill Murray
Sigourney Weaver
Rick Moranis
Annie Potts
William Atherton
Ernie Hudson
David Margulies
Jennifer Runyon
Michael Ensign
Alice Drummond
John Rothman
Ray Paker Jr

Ghostbusters 2
Randy Edelman
Peter MacNicol
Harris Yulin
Kurt Fuller

Real Ghostbusters
Frank Welker
Maurice LaMarche
Arsenio Hall
Dave Coulier
Rodger Bumpass
Walter Koenig

Extreme Ghostbusters
Tara Strong
Jason Marsden
Alfonso Ribeiro
Rino Romano
Billy West

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris Cline,

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
How about Ray Parker Jr? Just try to get that darn song out of your head once you give it a thought. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah good one!

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
So in thinking about this new set there are some good autograph possibilities:

Ghostbusters
Ivan Reitman
Dan Aykroyd
Bill Murray
Sigourney Weaver
Rick Moranis
Annie Potts
William Atherton
Ernie Hudson
David Margulies
Jennifer Runyon
Michael Ensign
Alice Drummond
John Rothman
Ray Paker Jr

Ghostbusters 2
Randy Edelman
Peter MacNicol
Harris Yulin
Kurt Fuller

Real Ghostbusters
Frank Welker
Maurice LaMarche
Arsenio Hall
Dave Coulier
Rodger Bumpass
Walter Koenig

Extreme Ghostbusters
Tara Strong
Jason Marsden
Alfonso Ribeiro
Rino Romano
Billy West

Larry King
Cheech Marin
Ben Stein
Bobby Brown (I think he's less likely to sign than Bill Murray right now, though)
Max von Sydow

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
OK guys, I did not realize that my "opinion" is so interesting to a few people here that they just can't wait to say "we want facts". When we are speculating about future sets and possible signers there are no facts unless maybe you are privy to the negotiations. If your purpose is to rip apart my post, kindly at least read it first.

It is clear that I am talking about past history in signing for licensed card products. Only Ernie Hudson has done that, period. The others may be great people who have showed up at conventions and book signings and private signings. That is not the same thing and it costs more. Cut signatures can be produced on anyone, we were discussing actual signed cards.

It would seem that no one thinks Ramis is alive, so I guess that's a fact. It seems someone agrees that Moranis has dropped out, so maybe that's half a fact. As for Murray, he is most definitely the one who would not sign on for another movie and the project became a new girl version. Read the recent the Entertainment Weekly reunion article for all our fact checkers.

Perhaps I will add in MHO to all posts from now, least I have to produce documentation in the future. Big Grin And yes, I'm joking, but you are making it hard for anyone to say anything.

I think what just happened to you is why so many of the people I still trade with do not post on the boards anymore. A simple, "from what I have observed" statement gets a "go F yourself, you are not an authority on Non Sport cards like I am" response. I know I stopped posting almost anywhere outside of the trading section because of these people.

I hear that.

Besides cutting back on what I buy, I'm just trading with friends through facebook.

IMO, this place is like other forums I use to be involved in. If you're not part of the clique and/or praising the next "big name" your nothing, and the so called leaders will remind you as often as they can. Resistance is futile.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have been trying not to comment anymore because I do not want to start a thing, but it's obvious that my post has already hit a nerve so I might as well do it before this thread gets shut down or posts start to be deleted. There is no need for that, the thread is about Ghostbusters and it will return to the subject.

Thank you barobehere and Tattoox, I both appreciate and understand your comments. I would like to read more comments from you in more threads. I would like to read more posts from everyone, new and old members.

There is a certain amount of bullying behavior that occurs on these boards and on all boards, if you want to be honest about it. I am not pointing fingers, people know it when they see it, but it starts to be very damaging when it drives the majority away. Disagreements happen, the written word can be misread for something unintended, but grudges should never be carried. It is too easy to write something on the internet that you would never say to someone standing in front of you.

So it's good to clear the air once in awhile and remind people to be respectful in their posts. I'll keep that in mind too. And if any collectors have been holding off from posting, maybe they should jump in for the first time or try again. We will all benefit in getting more information on non-sport cards, which is the main reason why we are all here. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:

this place is like other forums I use to be involved in. If you're not part of the clique and/or praising the next "big name" your nothing,Resistance is futile.

I refuse to be part of any clique that would have me as a member. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I refuse to be part of any clique that would have me as a member. Big Grin

Groucho Marx is rolling in his grave. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I have been trying not to comment anymore because I do not want to start a thing, but it's obvious that my post has already hit a nerve so I might as well do it before this thread gets shut down or posts start to be deleted. There is no need for that, the thread is about Ghostbusters and it will return to the subject.

Thank you barobehere and Tattoox, I both appreciate and understand your comments. I would like to read more comments from you in more threads. I would like to read more posts from everyone, new and old members.

There is a certain amount of bullying behavior that occurs on these boards and on all boards, if you want to be honest about it. I am not pointing fingers, people know it when they see it, but it starts to be very damaging when it drives the majority away. Disagreements happen, the written word can be misread for something unintended, but grudges should never be carried. It is too easy to write something on the internet that you would never say to someone standing in front of you.

So it's good to clear the air once in awhile and remind people to be respectful in their posts. I'll keep that in mind too. And if any collectors have been holding off from posting, maybe they should jump in for the first time or try again. We will all benefit in getting more information on non-sport cards, which is the main reason why we are all here. Smile

I don't agree with a few posters on both sides of the fence in this discussion, the only thing that "bothered" me in the first post was the perceived negativity before the product or any signers had even been announced. I think people WANT to be excited about a release - true we are often disappointed at the end but I ALWAYS assume the card company has done everything they can to secure the Signing of Major players. Now some won't sign, some don't reply and some are too expensive. I think your post would have been great if all the signers were announced and they weren't on the list! But before anything is known it was probably too soon . I just wish there was a bit more positivity on releases rather than the negative vibes about what isn't in a set.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I actually lamented the day that card purchasers started using the industry term "hits" to refer to the now ubiquitous sketch, autograph, costume, and prop cards that now drive the vast majority of all new releases. It just seemed to inject that sports card mentality which is a lot more investment driven. To me, for a subject that I like, which is the only reason I'm buying the cards in the first place, the base set (and perhaps the regular chase cards) were and remain the "hit".

Was I right to be troubled by that one simple little word entering the lexicon of our hobby?Well, after collecting Topps Star Wars cards since the first blue set in 1977 and never missing one up until 2014, there have now been two straight releases where I didn't really come close to even buying a single box of either, Chrome Perspectives and Masterwork.

Masterwork in particular is the most "hit" driven Star Wars set ever. Even the base cards are pretty all premium "insert odds" cards. Star Wars Masterwork is basically a $50 to $75 premium pack set which means non-sports have finally "caught up" with sports cards which is to say there are now plenty of guys with backwards baseball caps on tearing into non-sports packs looking for only the "hits" and basically tossing the rest of the cards in the trash. These guys tend to have the deepest pockets, and they don't want card sets. Those are extra wrappers. Is it any wonder that regular base cards often show so little effort, just more padding for the "hits" and that those cards are actually sometimes even discarded along with the wrappers?

For "Ghostbusters", I'm not a huge fan of that movie and wouldn't include it in Murray's top 10 at this point, but it has grown on me some over the years and I do love the 80's, so if it's a 90 card sets, some foil card, maybe some stickers, that's fine with me. I'll pick it up, whatever its "hits". Unfortunately, if it has them, especially notable signers, it won't be a box, since I wouldn't want to pay $100 for one on the hopes I get a nice signature. I'll get it afterward, just the cards would be fine, and they'll be at empty wrapper prices.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I hear you hammer and I accept your point. It was not my intention to appear negative to a set that will not be released for many months and is on a title that I personally like. No one knows who will be signing, but we always speculate about such things and I'm pretty sure that everyone knows it's only speculation.

If I say that I think Murray is probably not signing, does that mean people will dump the product? If you say I think Murray might sign, does that mean people will go out and order 6 cases each? I sure hope not, it makes no sense either way.

But you know I'd much rather you tell me your concern, as you just did, because then I might phrase things differently or perhaps not jump the gun so early because people don't always realize how their words are being taken up. An honest conversation is better than a snide remark, not that you did that, it was not your comment that "bothered" me.

Anyway I hope it's straightened out now for awhile because people want to read about non-sport cards, not about us, and they want to post comments without getting undo criticism. I think we can do that and that is a very positive comment. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
And I was using the "" only to point out that I wasn't really bothered Smile and what you and I say about a product doesn't influence anything (well not what I say). I just feel that the board in general has got a bit negative. I think a lot of people are forgetting the great work that goes into a lot of the base and chase sets (as Chesspieceface stated). Yes I know for $60/$80 we want a hit but sometimes I would rather have a set (at a cheaper price) without the "big" hits, at least it would stop the disappointment of the $5 sketch or the $10 Auto. I'm very glad I found this hobby, I have made some good friends through it Smile

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm with Raven on this.
Trying not to be a negative Nancy, but some actors may not be able to sign for this release.....

Would it be nice, sure! However, I'm thinking not so likely.
Feel free to surprise me, Cryptozoic Wink

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's too "negative" to think the likes of Bill Murray are a long shot. That said, Harrison Ford has become a regular trading card signer and I don't think anyone saw that coming!

As for the other conversation... I wish more people would post. A lot of names have drifted away and there is always plenty to talk about. I went on Blowout card forum the other day and you had 130 odd pages in the Star Wars Masterwork thread! Now, the culture over there is very much rip and flip and is very money focused but still, it shows some level of interest in the product. Whereas it isn't generating much discussion here when it is something of a 'landmark' Star Wars set. Confused

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Masterwork in particular is the most "hit" driven Star Wars set ever. Even the base cards are pretty all premium "insert odds" cards. Star Wars Masterwork is basically a $50 to $75 premium pack set which means non-sports have finally "caught up" with sports cards which is to say there are now plenty of guys with backwards baseball caps on tearing into non-sports packs looking for only the "hits" and basically tossing the rest of the cards in the trash. These guys tend to have the deepest pockets, and they don't want card sets. Those are extra wrappers. Is it any wonder that regular base cards often show so little effort, just more padding for the "hits" and that those cards are actually sometimes even discarded along with the wrappers?

...and where were you when I was decrying the Star Wars Masterwork series as nothing more than an "investment" for people with deep pockets in another thread? :P

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Um, I would've been there to support you, but, uh, my computer was in the shop that day. Yeah, that's it! Big Grin

Star Wars has always cast a really big shadow where collectibles are concerned, and in the world of books and action figures, etc., that higher end item has been with us for years, so I've always been limited by cost in terms of which of those kind of items I could buy. For instance, a couple of years back, there was a deluxe book called "Frames" which were oversized hardback books featuring George Lucas' selection of his favorite frames in the Star Wars movies, chosen by the man himself who went through every frame to compile his favorites. These came in a wood case which was autographed by George Lucas. I would've loved that, but could not afford the price tag, so I waited for the regular hardback edition, which I then got for a big discount from retail. Good enough, especially since it has to be.

With cards, though, up until very recently, I could always get the prestige ones from the very top of the line, some of them at least Well, not anymore. Masterwork is basically not available to me. Even so, I don't lament not having the Masterwork card set any more than I lament not having the signed edition of the "Frames" book. The fact is, they weren't made for me. They were made for people who can afford them. Such is life...

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I had so much to say the other day, but was too busy when I got home from work.

So going from memory, this is what comes to mind.

So people don't say things to peoples faces. So true. I hate the nerd acting like a bully behind a keyboard. I don't put up with it, and usually get banned from forums.

Raven usually says things that really annoy me, so I usually don't read them. This time I read it, and found no problem. I'd rather read something that someone is sharing based on the facts that they know than a bunch of sugar coated suck up stuff.

I'm cutting back on cards, so I probably won't buy this set.

Although I could be interested in some of the autographs and sketches.

And without getting into the debate of value and such, I would rather meet actors and get something unique signed by them, than pull a card that many others will have, or pay an over inflated price.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Here are mine...

Plus 30 more from both movies and TV shows

posted Hide Post
This was such a fun set to draw sketch cards for. Fun fun fun!
Deborah Abbott

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post