Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Ghostbusters (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghostbusters (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
May 11 looks to be the official official day (and a steady stream of Crypto releases for the next couple of months following if schedule remains in tact): http://gogts.net/cryptozoic-co...dates-multiple-sets/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
11 sets in a 3 month window of time??? Lucky for me, I am only getting a base of Big Bang Theory.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Orphan Black Seasons 1 and 2 are only 2 weeks apart?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I would say that the posted scheduled is impossible, some months have a set coming out nearly every week.

But let's say that it is possible, what exactly is the point? You are not only competing in the marketplace with other card publishers, your products are competing against each other for sales. They are all entertainment based titles. It's not like each has there own dedicated card collectors, the same buyer might be interested in multiple titles. Now that buyer has to chose how to spread his money in a limited period. Some of these titles are going to pull the short straw.

This just makes no sense to me from a business standpoint, but some of these products have been held up for so long that they have to be released or cancelled. Cancelling and selling off whatever hits you have unreleased might be more cost effective than dumping out full or truncated sets and make dealers take the loss. Dealers will not continue to carry the line if they don't make money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I would say that schedule is MOST Ambitious.

If it actually holds, I run out of money about half way through and can't take any more.

There is no reason on this planet why Walking Dead and Big Bang should release on the same day.

But, I'm confident this won't happen. So hopefully they will be paced a little different.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They have bought too many titles Shake Head . Whoever runs the process for choosing subjects needs to be much more selective.

Hopefully they have not paid out too much in licence fees otherwise I can see them getting into financial difficulties Frown .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Zero chance of them achieving that schedule. They can't even get two sets out on time in a quarter, let alone 11.

Nevertheless, glad the only one of interest to me is Orphan Black (autograph line-up dependent).

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Final checklist has been released: http://www.beckett.com/news/20...rading-card-details/

Set's out on Wednesday.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A 54 card base set! Then 1:30 odds on both sketches and autographs, so you might have both in a box, but maybe only one type of hit!

CZE really knocked this one out of the park, not!

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
If you take all the "hits"

Film Cells
Autos
Sketches
Patches
Printing Plates
Slime Cards

And apply the odds across the board, you end up with 2.75 hits per box. Not a bad number really.

I guess it all depends on what you want out the the box. If it's just autographs and sketches, then the odds are still pretty good you'll get 1 of each in a box.

But I wholeheartedly agree that a set covering all the movies and the animated series should have been MUCH bigger.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
And apply the odds across the board, you end up with 2.75 hits per box. Not a bad number really.

In theory true, but I really don't imagine many people consider fake patches and fake slime as worthwhile hits. And are printing plates really that popular too?

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:

In theory true, but I really don't imagine many people consider fake patches and fake slime as worthwhile hits. And are printing plates really that popular too?

That is exactly how I was going to respond. Wink

And I can't think of anything less appealing than storing a fake slime card for years. Big Grin

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I love Printing Plates and consider them a "hit".

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They are a hit, as are film cells, but I as a collector consider those secondary or extra hits to the primary of an autograph or sketch, depending on the nature of the title.

Manufactured patches or pins mean absolutely nothing to me. A fake corn syrup slime card is nonsense, wait until the thing leaks. Big Grin

If a sketch and an autograph were guaranteed in every box, then also factoring in the possibility of the extra plate or cell, I would say you have a shot at value from a random sealed box. As it is, if the stated 1:30 holds and the box had only one or the other, you would have to pull the Ackroyd signature or maybe a truly wonderful sketch for me to think money well spent as opposed to simply buying only the cards you like you know where. Just MHO.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Printing plates are a bit like considering a single card from a parallel base set a hit...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Autograph rarities direct from George:

Limited to 175-225:

Ben Stein
Dave Florek
Harris Yulin
Jason Reitman
Jennifer Runyon
Laura Summer
Maurice LaMarche
Michael Ensign

Limited to 350-375:

Annie Potts
Arsenio Hall
Bobby Brown
Dan Aykroyd
Dave Coulier
Ernie Hudson
Ivan Reitman
John Rothman
Kurt Fuller
Larry King
William Atherton

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If that's right, it's unusual. Taken as a group, I would say that the more desirable signers are on the less limited side. Not complaining, it's just normally the other way round. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw the new Ghostbusters movie Friday night, and really liked it. It would be cool if someone picked it up for a set.

In addition to the returning characters from the previous movies, there are already signed cards from Bokeem Woodbine, Finn Wolfhard, Bob Gunton, J. K. Simmons, Josh Gad, and Paul Rudd.

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Saw the new Ghostbusters movie Friday night, and really liked it. It would be cool if someone picked it up for a set.

In addition to the returning characters from the previous movies, there are already signed cards from Bokeem Woodbine, Finn Wolfhard, Bob Gunton, J. K. Simmons, Josh Gad, and Paul Rudd.

I really liked it too but non sports seems to be dying down to a handful of title categories. It makes me throw up a little in my mouth to say that Upper Deck has the most exciting (TBD) titles at the moment. Companies that try to branch out from the major titles die a slow and painful death. MarvelXBondTrekWarsofThronesDC FOREVER!

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I really liked it too but non sports seems to be dying down to a handful of title categories. It makes me throw up a little in my mouth to say that Upper Deck has the most exciting (TBD) titles at the moment. Companies that try to branch out from the major titles die a slow and painful death. MarvelXBondTrekWarsofThronesDC FOREVER!

And the sad thing is that some of the interesting (to me) UD titles have been delayed for a very long time or not released at all -- i.e. Chasing Amy.

Perhaps Fanatics will breathe some life in to Topps, or maybe Panini will branch out now that I think they are losing some of their sports licenses.

Maybe the DC CZX set will blow the doors off of Crypto and restart their creative sales.

I personally think the most likely path forward to new product is going to be celebrity based sets that don't require working with a studio for licensing. Perhaps Topps will bring back American Pie, Panini will continue with more music themed sets -- or century collection. I dunno. . .

It seems that outside of the few titles mykdude mentioned there just aren't enough box buyers or complete set collectors to drive sales.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post