Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond SPECTRE
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond SPECTRE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
X,

The first James Bond movie I remember seeing is "Live and Let Die." My parents took my brothers and me (mid-grade school) to see it at the local drive-in. Most people preferred Connery to Roger Moore as James Bond even well into the 80's. Moore did seem less likely to win a fistfight with Robert Shaw than Connery but he grew into the role by "The Spy Who Loved Me," a great Bond movie by any measure. I recall Moore being criticized as somewhat enamored with his own wit at times, but to me, he was never arrogant always appearing genuine on a 70's-80's talk show.

Though I haven't chased any Bond sets nor any combination of the recent hits, years ago, I did pick up the four San Diego Comic Con promos and the uncut sheet of those for the James Bond Connoisseur's Collection (1996).

quote:
Originally posted by X:

I used to REALLY dislike Moore's Bond films, but I have come to love them. So many cringe-worthy moments but probably the most fun ones to watch out of the entire series. For me, I think a lot of this comes down to Moore himself. He is to the Bond series as Leonard Nimoy was to Trek, a great ambassador even after all these years, and comes across as an eternally gracious, fan-friendly person. He seems appreciative of his good fortune and puts his celebrity to good use with his long-standing charitable work. He could teach miserable old gits like Connery a thing or two.

Roger Moore has signed a lot for Rittenhouse, and some may not get excited at his inclusion in new sets but I can't get enough and as you say Raven, at ever more reasonable prices. Moonraker was my favourite Moore Bond film as a kid, so I am crossing my fingers I like the picture for the full-bleed in this set. His signature had definitely gotten shakier the last couple years but the guy is 89 and he can still sign some nice ones, you've just got to keep your eyes peeled.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I know we seemingly go over this with every set chiefbrody but you do know buying by the case is purely optional? Wink

If buying individually, I think you could get every auto you want from your list for a lot less than the £615 you need to buy a case + £? for what isn't in the case.

Just seen the new Roger Moore auto on RA's website/facebook page: got to say I'm quite disappointed with it being a black & white image and one with his cowboy hat no less. Roll Eyes Think I'll pass on that one.

We do, but where's the fun in that ?
not to mention the e**y money grabbers

I was disappointed with the Roger, I was hoping he'd be in the flight suit, but at least it's an image from Moonraker, now we (fb collectors) only need a Roger from For your eyes only and Octopussy.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
It's only a small detail, but I like that they have done something a little different with blue borders on the Spectre promos - I wonder if the whole base set will have this design?

It appears all the Spectre base cards have this design, it looks a bit odd to me.

The new design base cards look ok, but they get noticeable chippings and scratches, this is why I like white borders.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piperh33:
The binder really looks great ! (I saw several pictures on Ebay... wow ! Drool )

I think I will never have the money to have it, but, here, I found my favorite autograph card of Teri Hatcher !!! Luv You
The picture are like her : beautiful ! (I like her so much. Finding an autograph card of her would be a dream comes true. Big Grin )

Many Full-Bleed are very successfully (my opinion) : Jane Seymour, Britt Ekland, Berenice Marlohe, Maryam d'Abo (lots of Bond girls !) Dolph Lundgren, Blanche Ravalec, Caroline Munro... very nice pics.

So, for the Roger Moore, I expecting another thing. It's nice, but far from being my favorite.

I like the new design of costume cards, since the last collection. Smile

I will try (*cross the fingers*) to buy a pack "Box + Binder" in January for my mother (big Bond fan !!)

Well done getting the Teri Hatcher Thumb Up

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:

I was disappointed with the Roger, I was hoping he'd be in the flight suit, but at least it's an image from Moonraker, now we (fb collectors) only need a Roger from For your eyes only and Octopussy.

Not wishing to sound like a know-it-all, but there's in fact already a Roger Moore full bleed from Octopussy:

It was one of the incentive cards from the Dangerous Liaisons set

Posts: 240 | Location: London, England | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RP01:
It’s all been very quiet on here and over at the Rittenhouse Archives website since the release of the latest Bond set. I’ve also noticed that cases are still available to buy directly through RA’s website, which is quite unusual. Normally the Bond sets sell out very quickly. Is this a sign that maybe the Bond sets have run out of steam? Surely not!

Personally, I appreciate the smaller set this time round. It harks back to the older days when the focus was more on quality than quantity. The throwback sets this time are standard fare, so hardly worth commenting. On the chase front, it’s nice to see something different with the film poster subset. It’s something I’ve wanted for ages, and printing them on metal stock is an interesting innovation. Look forward to getting my hands on these.

Not sure why the relic/costume cards have been redesigned again? Bit of a shame for those who appreciate continuity in trading cards – such as myself.

As for the autographs, a nice selection of famous names/recognisable faces this time round. As a 40th Ann. collector I’m glad I only have 8 auto cards to hunt down. Gives my bank balance a breather. Pictures are well chosen – except the Roger Moore Moonraker shot. Can’t understand that choice of image at all. Would also have preferred a more iconic pic for the Bianchi 40th card, but that’s just me being picky. It’s simply amazing to even have the opportunity to get hold of a Bianchi autograph. She has to be the most elusive Bond girl actress out there and Rittenhouse managed to find her. What an achievement! Makes me think we could one day get a Diana Rigg or Michael Lonsdale card. Maybe even a Dalton. Or a Connery?? Never say never, I say...
The dual auto card from Aliza Gur/Martine Beswicke is also a great addition. Nice touch and great looking card from an iconic scene in Bond history.

On the whole, 2016 James Bond Archives isn’t a stand-out set, but it’s no disappointment either. 15 years down the line, Rittenhouse can still produce a good set and knows how to keep us Bond fans happy and still yearning for more. Looking forward to Bond being back in 2017 – when I’m guessing preparations will be starting for the next Bond film too.

Yes the silence is deafening! No comments over at RA at all. They do such good work with these sets it's a shame they only seem to get fanfare when the likes of Connery finally sign. I'm still thrilled we finally got Jeffrey Wright but he's selling for ever more surprisingly low prices, especially his 40th cards.

There are only 8 of the 40th style in this set but are you still going after them all RP01? (I recall you saying you may cut back on the more obscure names?)

I do think this is a solid set but the lack of SPECTRE signers and costumes for a set named as such is glaring. A Craig SPECTRE auto (any style) in lieu of fuller cast contribution would have been a nice touch.
And to echo what everyone else has said, a shame about the Moonraker Roger Moore full bleed pic. A nice photo in itself but a goofy one. I suppose it suits the film and elements of Moore's portrayal but it doesn't make me want it. Maybe it's the b&w that annoys me more. I'm fully expecting Roger's inevitable Octopussy auto to have him in the clown costume, but I hope not.
(PS. the Dangerous Liaisons Moore incentive is from The Man With The Golden Gun - he was considerably wrinklier by Octopussy!)

Funny you mention Bianchi's 40th picture, I was thinking exactly the same thing. They've made a very attractive woman look like she's sucking a lemon. Still a great card! Especially between Ursula Andress and Honor Blackman. A great coup for the card series, and people should get her whilst she's relatively cheap, a rare signer if ever there was one.

There are clearly a lot of Women of Bond autos being gathered at RA, what with the lack of inclusion of certain names in that style of late, and I am really hoping for a second Women of Bond release with a couple of debut names... Claudine Auger, Akiko Wakabayashi, Diana Rigg, Carole Bouquet, Grace Jones, Alison Doody, Talisa Soto, Rosamund Pike (although technically a repeat) and Eva Green. Any of those would be amazing, but especially the actresses from the '60s. If they could get Bianchi, I think anyone is possible.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

There are only 8 of the 40th style in this set but are you still going after them all RP01? (I recall you saying you may cut back on the more obscure names?)

Well remembered! Smile I did indeed decide to leave out a few cards from my 40th Anniversary autograph collection, but basically only if the actor/actress is really obscure AND the card upsets the continuity of the collection. So far, this has only been the case for the Joni Flynn - Octopussy autograph (black and white image) and the Shane Rimmer - YOLT autograph (signature in black pen). I've also avoided the Kenneth Tsang 40th card due to the error with the picture. (Really hope Rittenhouse will reissue this card on day.

quote:
Originally posted by X:

(PS. the Dangerous Liaisons Moore incentive is from The Man With The Golden Gun - he was considerably wrinklier by Octopussy!)

You're quite right! Moore wears a similar white tuxedo in Octopussy (the gambling scene with Kamal Khan) which is why I always thought that publicity shot was from Octopussy. But as you say, Moore is definitely too 'youthful' in that shot for it to be from Octopussy.

quote:
Originally posted by X:

There are clearly a lot of Women of Bond autos being gathered at RA, what with the lack of inclusion of certain names in that style of late, and I am really hoping for a second Women of Bond release with a couple of debut names... Claudine Auger, Akiko Wakabayashi, Diana Rigg, Carole Bouquet, Grace Jones, Alison Doody, Talisa Soto, Rosamund Pike (although technically a repeat) and Eva Green. Any of those would be amazing, but especially the actresses from the '60s. If they could get Bianchi, I think anyone is possible.

I agree! A Women of Bond 2 set, with mostly WOB-style autographs would go down very nicely, especially if they manage to get a couple of those names you mention.

Posts: 240 | Location: London, England | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
It’s all been very quiet on here and over at the Rittenhouse Archives website since the release of the latest Bond set. I’ve also noticed that cases are still available to buy directly through RA’s website, which is quite unusual. Normally the Bond sets sell out very quickly. Is this a sign that maybe the Bond sets have run out of steam? Surely not!

Personally, I appreciate the smaller set this time round. It harks back to the older days when the focus was more on quality than quantity. The throwback sets this time are standard fare, so hardly worth commenting. On the chase front, it’s nice to see something different with the film poster subset. It’s something I’ve wanted for ages, and printing them on metal stock is an interesting innovation. Look forward to getting my hands on these.

Not sure why the relic/costume cards have been redesigned again? Bit of a shame for those who appreciate continuity in trading cards – such as myself.

As for the autographs, a nice selection of famous names/recognisable faces this time round. As a 40th Ann. collector I’m glad I only have 8 auto cards to hunt down. Gives my bank balance a breather. Pictures are well chosen – except the Roger Moore Moonraker shot. Can’t understand that choice of image at all. Would also have preferred a more iconic pic for the Bianchi 40th card, but that’s just me being picky. It’s simply amazing to even have the opportunity to get hold of a Bianchi autograph. She has to be the most elusive Bond girl actress out there and Rittenhouse managed to find her. What an achievement! Makes me think we could one day get a Diana Rigg or Michael Lonsdale card. Maybe even a Dalton. Or a Connery?? Never say never, I say...
The dual auto card from Aliza Gur/Martine Beswicke is also a great addition. Nice touch and great looking card from an iconic scene in Bond history.

On the whole, 2016 James Bond Archives isn’t a stand-out set, but it’s no disappointment either. 15 years down the line, Rittenhouse can still produce a good set and knows how to keep us Bond fans happy and still yearning for more. Looking forward to Bond being back in 2017 – when I’m guessing preparations will be starting for the next Bond film too.

Yes the silence is deafening! No comments over at RA at all. They do such good work with these sets it's a shame they only seem to get fanfare when the likes of Connery finally sign. I'm still thrilled we finally got Jeffrey Wright but he's selling for ever more surprisingly low prices, especially his 40th cards.

I do think this is a solid set but the lack of SPECTRE signers and costumes for a set named as such is glaring. A Craig SPECTRE auto (any style) in lieu of fuller cast contribution would have been a nice touch.
And to echo what everyone else has said, a shame about the Moonraker Roger Moore full bleed pic. A nice photo in itself but a goofy one. I suppose it suits the film and elements of Moore's portrayal but it doesn't make me want it. Maybe it's the b&w that annoys me more. I'm fully expecting Roger's inevitable Octopussy auto to have him in the clown costume, but I hope not.

Funny you mention Bianchi's 40th picture, I was thinking exactly the same thing. They've made a very attractive woman look like she's sucking a lemon. Still a great card! Especially between Ursula Andress and Honor Blackman. A great coup for the card series, and people should get her whilst she's relatively cheap, a rare signer if ever there was one.

According to Rittenhouse Eva Green was a never (but so was Jeffrey Wright) Akiko Wakabayashi was unable to sign after hurting her hand in a car accident, she gracefully declined.

Thanks for the incentive Moore info, I panicked there for a minute.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Well remembered! Smile I did indeed decide to leave out a few cards from my 40th Anniversary autograph collection, but basically only if the actor/actress is really obscure AND the card upsets the continuity of the collection. So far, this has only been the case for the Joni Flynn - Octopussy autograph (black and white image) and the Shane Rimmer - YOLT autograph (signature in black pen). I've also avoided the Kenneth Tsang 40th card due to the error with the picture. (Really hope Rittenhouse will reissue this card on day.

quote:
Originally posted by X:

You're quite right! Moore wears a similar white tuxedo in Octopussy (the gambling scene with Kamal Khan) which is why I always thought that publicity shot was from Octopussy. But as you say, Moore is definitely too 'youthful' in that shot for it to be from Octopussy.

quote:
Originally posted by X:

I agree! A Women of Bond 2 set, with mostly WOB-style autographs would go down very nicely, especially if they manage to get a couple of those names you mention.

Please don't say that, this new set for a full bleed collector had 6 variants, 1 Britt Ekland replacement, a behind the scenes Sheena Easton so only 10 new full bleed signers, it's bad enough to have to wait 8 to 10 months for the next set without worrying there will be no full bleed auto's, life's too short.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
For those trying to keep the checklist straight, I just pulled the Daniela Bianchi 40th style autograph card from this product and RA has posted it with an incorrect number.

The Bianchi is listed as A283, but the actual card is A284. To my knowledge, that means that A283 is still unassigned.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
Another great pull ! Clap Elephant

After "Doctor Who Timeless", it's in the box "James Bond Spectre" that we found (my mother and I, it was a gift for her) a very great relic card : MR2 Classified Documents (from "Die Another Day") 062/150

With the ratio 1:96 packs, it's a nice stroke of luck ! I'm very happy for my mother, she loves the card ! Metal

Posts: 130 | Location: Bordeaux, France | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post