Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond SPECTRE
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond SPECTRE
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Only one Bond actor auto this time around, Roger Moore ?

He has signed for alot of Rittenhouse sets !

His autograph has become very accessible, not just in Bond sets, but in the hodge-podge sets of Americana and Pop Century. I think he is getting older and perhaps is doing it now while he still can. Moore's signature does seem to be on the downhill side as compared to earlier signings. Also his general value has dropped since there is a greater supply. I don't call that a bad thing. I would rather have affordable autograph cards that you can own than expensive autograph cards that someone else owns. Big Grin

The autograph list for SPECTRE edition is fairly solid, but there are no must-haves for me. It could have used another Craig or Brosnan or Yeoh or the new one I was hoping for, Bellucci. Even the incentive autographs are rather blah.

I'm not saying its bad, no Bond set is bad and I am strictly talking about signers. It just that it has no big sparklers for me. I'm sure others might find the Bautista and Seydoux enough.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think one Bond set a year is enough. Two is simply too much

I pursue master sets of all Bond that RA has done (minus the parallels) and these are costing in the range of $ 2,000 per set, and up

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think one Bond set a year is enough. Two is simply too much

I pursue master sets of all Bond that RA has done (minus the parallels) and these are costing in the range of $ 2,000 per set, and up

Not when your a full bleed auto collector, this set after taking away repeat signers has only 12
12 a year doesn't work for me, life's too short.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Or, they should bring out 2 a year, one full bleed auto's exclusive and one 40th anniv exclusive.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So since you have brought this into the conversion, I'm curious as to how you are collecting these autographs and what you regard as having a complete run.

A master set is comprised of every card in the set, but it sounds like some Bond autograph collectors are only doing one style of autograph card, be it FB or 40th, and its complete for them. And then it sounds like others are further cutting that down to just having one autograph per signer in whichever style they have chosen, without wanting repeat signers.

I have adapted something like that for my Game of Thrones autograph cards. I want to have at least one card from every signer and I have that up to date. However, even though I prefer FB, I don't care if the card is in the FB or Bordered or Blue format. Some of the prices for the same signer vary greatly between cards, the number signed range often changing in different sets. So if you insist on sticking to only one style in GoT, you are surely passing up cheaper cards with the same autograph under the same title.

That would be even more impacting on Bond autograph cards, where there are so many more signers and with many more expensive cards than in GoT. So as an autograph card collector myself, I'm wondering why some Bond collectors seem to insist on sticking to only one style of card, when it makes it harder and more expensive to achieve any level of completion?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
I've been collecting the James Bond cards for a long while and am ok with just having one of any type of autograph card.
But, I appreciate that if you have several dozen cards of the same design, they look much better together in a binder as a collection.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So since you have brought this into the conversion, I'm curious as to how you are collecting these autographs and what you regard as having a complete run.

A master set is comprised of every card in the set, but it sounds like some Bond autograph collectors are only doing one style of autograph card, be it FB or 40th, and its complete for them. And then it sounds like others are further cutting that down to just having one autograph per signer in whichever style they have chosen, without wanting repeat signers.

I have adapted something like that for my Game of Thrones autograph cards. I want to have at least one card from every signer and I have that up to date. However, even though I prefer FB, I don't care if the card is in the FB or Bordered or Blue format. Some of the prices for the same signer vary greatly between cards, the number signed range often changing in different sets. So if you insist on sticking to only one style in GoT, you are surely passing up cheaper cards with the same autograph under the same title.

That would be even more impacting on Bond autograph cards, where there are so many more signers and with many more expensive cards than in GoT. So as an autograph card collector myself, I'm wondering why some Bond collectors seem to insist on sticking to only one style of card, when it makes it harder and more expensive to achieve any level of completion?

I collect full bleed autographs and put them in binder thematically by movie, from Dr No to Skyfall, every different character once, for example, Diamonds are forever only has 4 signers, Jill St John, Bruce Glover, Trini Parks and Lana Wood, Lana Wood has 3 different full bleed autos but only 1 goes in the binder, The new set only has 12, that's because there are 6 repeat signers, plus Brit Ekland which is welcome because her current full bleed is an error and Sheena Easton, does she go in ? being on the opening credits only, 40th anniversary have a lot more signers and no repeats, because they started years earlier and there are some who can no longer sign, also with 40th anniv there are a lot of images that probably can't have the clarity for a full bleed, like Osato's secretary Francisca Tu in You only live twice, there are also some oversights with full bleed cards,
Jesper Christensen was one they said they overlooked (luckily he showed up last set) and a Skyfall Judi Dench has conspicuously not appeared.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Only one Bond actor auto this time around, Roger Moore ?

He has signed for alot of Rittenhouse sets !

His autograph has become very accessible, not just in Bond sets, but in the hodge-podge sets of Americana and Pop Century. I think he is getting older and perhaps is doing it now while he still can. Moore's signature does seem to be on the downhill side as compared to earlier signings. Also his general value has dropped since there is a greater supply. I don't call that a bad thing. I would rather have affordable autograph cards that you can own than expensive autograph cards that someone else owns. Big Grin

I used to REALLY dislike Moore's Bond films, but I have come to love them. So many cringe-worthy moments but probably the most fun ones to watch out of the entire series. For me, I think a lot of this comes down to Moore himself. He is to the Bond series as Leonard Nimoy was to Trek, a great ambassador even after all these years, and comes across as an eternally gracious, fan-friendly person. He seems appreciative of his good fortune and puts his celebrity to good use with his long-standing charitable work. He could teach miserable old gits like Connery a thing or two.
Roger Moore has signed a lot for Rittenhouse, and some may not get excited at his inclusion in new sets but I can't get enough and as you say Raven, at ever more reasonable prices. Moonraker was my favourite Moore Bond film as a kid, so I am crossing my fingers I like the picture for the full-bleed in this set.
His signature had definitely gotten shakier the last couple years but the guy is 89 and he can still sign some nice ones, you've just got to keep your eyes peeled.

quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
Or, they should bring out 2 a year, one full bleed auto's exclusive and one 40th anniv exclusive.

Isn't this pretty much the same as two sets with split autograph styles? When 50th Anniversary came out and it was mostly 40th style autos, many complained. I think all of one style for a set would be too alienating now people have been spoiled.

quote:

So as an autograph card collector myself, I'm wondering why some Bond collectors seem to insist on sticking to only one style of card, when it makes it harder and more expensive to achieve any level of completion?

Why? Personal taste.

I really like the 40th style autos as they feel very "Bondian" what with the gunbarrel motif and 007 background. That said, between the ever changing size and placement of the film titles, mismatched film titles to pictures, the change in hue of gunbarrel between blue and purple, the various "007" logos... the inconsistencies in design bother me. And the pictures are frankly too small.
So I have 6 of this style made up of 4 "vintage" actors who are no longer with us, another who has not signed any other style and Mads Mikkelsen because it's Mads.

Women of Bond is probably my favourite style using the silhouette Bond girl design from The World Is Not Enough teaser poster from all those years ago. I like the clean white space and the contrasting red and RA have done a very comprehensive job with the majority of the female cast which makes me want to keep it complete. I collect all of these but still need two (and there are also two more I do not want).

I have a couple more full-bleed than WOB, but otherwise a fairly even split. It's easy to see why this style is popular. Clean, simple and uses nice big photos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Oh and did anyone notice that a day or so after RA posted the checklist, they changed the rarity categories for most of the autographs? ALL the cards currently listed as "Very Limited" were previously "Extremely Limited" and Lea Seydoux and Berenice Marlohe have gone from being "Very Limited" to being just "Limited" now.

I hope this means all the good stuff will be easier to come by but I'm not sure if it's worth getting excited about when and an Extremely Limited card of 199 copies is about as rare as a Very Limited card of 201 copies, so I guess we'll just have see how frequently stuff comes out of boxes.

I was surprised by the 'smaller' autograph list, but with this being the second set this year, I think it is appropriate. I am happy at the thought of adding only 6 cards from this set: Moore, Bautista, Cremona, Joe Don, Maryam, Marlohe (at last!) and maybe a seventh in Ekland.

Some of the repeats do confuse me though. This set will give us the 3rd full bleed for Caroline Munro, Maryam d'Abo, and Blanche Ravalec, and the 2nd full bleed for Teri Hatcher, Jane Seymour and Karin Dor. Why can't we get another full-bleed of someone like Shirley Eaton who is an accessible signer whose only full-bleed now costs a small fortune? That would be a GOOD repeat. Or as mentioned before, a better pic of Luciana Paluzzi? A colour card of Margaret Nolan?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:

quote:
Isn't this pretty much the same as two sets with split autograph styles? When 50th Anniversary came out and it was mostly 40th style autos, many complained. I think all of one style for a set would be too alienating now people have been spoiled..

No because I wouldn't buy a 40th anniv case, I'll just get a full bleed one, saving the price of a case
This set I want for my collection these full bleed
Roger Moore
Brit Ekland (already signed but was error card)
Dave Bautista
Lea Seydoux
Joe Don Baker Brad Whitaker
Sheena Easton (if open credit shot, if not, in with the behind the scenes)
Dolph Lundgren
George Roubicek
Berenice Marlohe
Jake Seal
Andy Bradford
Alessandro Cremona

£615.00 for a case and lucky to get 6 of them so spend more looking for the rest.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Oh and did anyone notice that a day or so after RA posted the checklist, they changed the rarity categories for most of the autographs? ALL the cards currently listed as "Very Limited" were previously "Extremely Limited" and Lea Seydoux and Berenice Marlohe have gone from being "Very Limited" to being just "Limited" now.

I hope this means all the good stuff will be easier to come by but I'm not sure if it's worth getting excited about when and an Extremely Limited card of 199 copies is about as rare as a Very Limited card of 201 copies, so I guess we'll just have see how frequently stuff comes out of boxes.

I was surprised by the 'smaller' autograph list, but with this being the second set this year, I think it is appropriate. I am happy at the thought of adding only 6 cards from this set: Moore, Bautista, Cremona, Joe Don, Maryam, Marlohe (at last!) and maybe a seventh in Ekland.

Some of the repeats do confuse me though. This set will give us the 3rd full bleed for Caroline Munro, Maryam d'Abo, and Blanche Ravalec, and the 2nd full bleed for Teri Hatcher, Jane Seymour and Karin Dor. Why can't we get another full-bleed of someone like Shirley Eaton who is an accessible signer whose only full-bleed now costs a small fortune? That would be a GOOD repeat. Or as mentioned before, a better pic of Luciana Paluzzi? A colour card of Margaret Nolan?

I'd like a different Gemma Arterton + Olga K

It is good the change to very instead of extremely, but there is still the fact there are only 8 40th anniv, meaning if you get one of each per box (40TH/FB)in a case you get at least 4 40th anniv doubles.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I know we seemingly go over this with every set chiefbrody but you do know buying by the case is purely optional? Wink

If buying individually, I think you could get every auto you want from your list for a lot less than the £615 you need to buy a case + £? for what isn't in the case.

Just seen the new Roger Moore auto on RA's website/facebook page: got to say I'm quite disappointed with it being a black & white image and one with his cowboy hat no less. Roll Eyes Think I'll pass on that one.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
It's only a small detail, but I like that they have done something a little different with blue borders on the Spectre promos - I wonder if the whole base set will have this design?

It appears all the Spectre base cards have this design, it looks a bit odd to me.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
It's only a small detail, but I like that they have done something a little different with blue borders on the Spectre promos - I wonder if the whole base set will have this design?

It appears all the Spectre base cards have this design, it looks a bit odd to me.

I knew my Spider-sense was tingling when I saw the promos!
It does look a bit odd/out of place compared to all the white bordered sets we've had the last couple years. That said, I don't dislike the design.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I knew my Spider-sense was tingling when I saw the promos!
It does look a bit odd/out of place compared to all the white bordered sets we've had the last couple years. That said, I don't dislike the design.

I've just had a look on that other place, and there were some Italian Cinema 'SPECTRE Lobby cards' cards which have exactly the same design. So it looks like this design was something Eon approved/required.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
Looks like this is having a low-ish production run.

Just adding up the print runs of all the pack-inserted autographs comes to a range of 5000-8700 autographs total. At 2 per box that's somewhere between 2500 and 4350 boxes total, and that's not taking into account autographs held back for replacements and archive boxes. So in other words, a low production run indeed. Wink

The sticker on the box says a production run of 4000.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Very surprised at the box run, the lowest for any Bond release. I wonder why? In the long run, the throwback sets from this release will be the hardest to get.

Whatever your thoughts on the SPECTRE blue border cards not matching other recent film sets, the gold foil parallels of this set really pop on the blue background.

I wish the throwback sets in this release had a couple more cards but nothing wrong with them being a bit easier to assemble. I do find it odd though that even the most recent film only has 76 cards.

Nice to see that for rare metal cards they used some great poster imagery. That said, I was disappointed to see they used EXACTLY the same images for the centre poster card for each film in The Complete Bond (2007) base set. All those years ago I decided to make my own poster 'subset' using these base cards, and I'm finding it hard to find a reason to want to spend a couple hundred on the exact same thing in this release, just this time on metal.

Speaking of metal cards... I miss the days of autos/costume case toppers so that card being metal adds a small amount of extra value/cool factor. And it goes with the other Spectre metal gallery poster cards in the last release which is neat.

Great to see prop cards return after so many costumes. They always make for more interesting variants.

We've already discussed the 'meh' factor of the incentive autos.

I'm disappointed the image on the Roger Moore auto makes me not want to buy it, but overall, a great looking set of autos. Not one I want but the Dolph Lundgren full-bleed looks fantastic. Cremona's card is another standout and just these two show why the full-bleeds really are the best looking Bond autograph cards. On the other end of the spectrum, I didn't think Marlohe's signature could get any worse, but she's managed it. An appalling autograph, such a shame.

My biggest gripe is that I would like to RA to stop using the same images from base set on the promo cards, it makes the promos REALLY boring.

I like my binders and this one looks really nice.

Curious to hear other people's thoughts!

posted Hide Post
It’s all been very quiet on here and over at the Rittenhouse Archives website since the release of the latest Bond set. I’ve also noticed that cases are still available to buy directly through RA’s website, which is quite unusual. Normally the Bond sets sell out very quickly. Is this a sign that maybe the Bond sets have run out of steam? Surely not!

Personally, I appreciate the smaller set this time round. It harks back to the older days when the focus was more on quality than quantity. The throwback sets this time are standard fare, so hardly worth commenting. On the chase front, it’s nice to see something different with the film poster subset. It’s something I’ve wanted for ages, and printing them on metal stock is an interesting innovation. Look forward to getting my hands on these.

Not sure why the relic/costume cards have been redesigned again? Bit of a shame for those who appreciate continuity in trading cards – such as myself.

As for the autographs, a nice selection of famous names/recognisable faces this time round. As a 40th Ann. collector I’m glad I only have 8 auto cards to hunt down. Gives my bank balance a breather. Pictures are well chosen – except the Roger Moore Moonraker shot. Can’t understand that choice of image at all. Would also have preferred a more iconic pic for the Bianchi 40th card, but that’s just me being picky. It’s simply amazing to even have the opportunity to get hold of a Bianchi autograph. She has to be the most elusive Bond girl actress out there and Rittenhouse managed to find her. What an achievement! Makes me think we could one day get a Diana Rigg or Michael Lonsdale card. Maybe even a Dalton. Or a Connery?? Never say never, I say...
The dual auto card from Aliza Gur/Martine Beswicke is also a great addition. Nice touch and great looking card from an iconic scene in Bond history.

On the whole, 2016 James Bond Archives isn’t a stand-out set, but it’s no disappointment either. 15 years down the line, Rittenhouse can still produce a good set and knows how to keep us Bond fans happy and still yearning for more. Looking forward to Bond being back in 2017 – when I’m guessing preparations will be starting for the next Bond film too.

Posts: 240 | Location: London, England | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I actually bought a couple of boxes that I won't open before the holidays. I'm my own Secret Santa. Big Grin

I have been watching the usual places, but have no interest in individual cards now because I don't know what's in the boxes. I will say this, autograph card prices are low. That's a good sign for collectors, but a bad sign for the set coming right out of the gate. I have seen a bunch of the FBs settle up at UNDER $10. The bigger ones like Hatcher, Seymore and Moore are in what I would call mid-range.

Unfortunately Moore is the only Bond signature here and I totally agree with you RP01, that picture is so bad I would actually call it dumb. Most of the other photos on the FBs are very good choices, but they must have thought that was funny or something. Making James Bond look like a doofus was not a good idea. Roll Eyes

I don't think the franchise has run out of steam, but this set is rather low on excitement. It is called SPECTRE, but we have only I think 3 new signers from the SPECTRE movie and don't have any of the better repeats coming from other important actors in that movie.

Now with many of the individual hits looking fairly cheap, that will hurt box sales because the value of the common autographs will create a greater gap between them and what you paid for the box. So its good if you are purchasing just the cards, but bad if you have them in your box. That's why I am not buying the autograph cards right now. If I were to get any of them as duplicates from my boxes, I will really lose money. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
The binder really looks great ! (I saw several pictures on Ebay... wow ! Drool )

I think I will never have the money to have it, but, here, I found my favorite autograph card of Teri Hatcher !!! Luv You
The picture are like her : beautiful ! (I like her so much. Finding an autograph card of her would be a dream comes true. Big Grin )

Many Full-Bleed are very successfully (my opinion) : Jane Seymour, Britt Ekland, Berenice Marlohe, Maryam d'Abo (lots of Bond girls !) Dolph Lundgren, Blanche Ravalec, Caroline Munro... very nice pics.

So, for the Roger Moore, I expecting another thing. It's nice, but far from being my favorite.

I like the new design of costume cards, since the last collection. Smile

I will try (*cross the fingers*) to buy a pack "Box + Binder" in January for my mother (big Bond fan !!)

Posts: 130 | Location: Bordeaux, France | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post