Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Finally - a Doctor Who set for North America!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally - a Doctor Who set for North America!
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Has there been any more news on this set? I tried to talk with the folks at the Topps booth at San Diego but they said they were just manning the tables and had no idea about anything.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheUberBob:
Has there been any more news on this set? I tried to talk with the folks at the Topps booth at San Diego but they said they were just manning the tables and had no idea about anything.

-Bob-

Bob,

We actually know quite a bit considering...

From my newsletter:
quote:
200 Card Base set
4 Subsets in the Base set: Characters, Aliens, Villains, Gadgets
200 Card Blue Foil Parallel Set [Numbered to 199]
200 Card Red Foil Parallel Set [Numbered to 99]
200 Card Gold Foil Parallel Set [Numbered to 50]
100 Total Insert Cards (1 insert per pack on Average)
40 Memorable Moments (1:2 Packs)
25 Companions (1:4 Packs)
12 The Doctor is In (1:6 Packs)
13 Tardis Travel (1:8 Packs)
10 Stitches In Time (1:8 Packs)
2 “Hits” Per Box from the following card types:
Autographs
Cut Signatures
Prop Relic
Wardrobe Relic
Medallion Relic
Sketch Cards
Sketch Card Loaded Packs
Printing Plates

8 Cards Per Pack, 24 Packs Per Box, 8 Boxes Per Case

I wouldn't expect an autograph list for a month or two yet.

But, it's better than UD where Guardians of the Galaxy checklist appeared only after boxes were already being broke.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to this set but price is definatly a factor. Not too big a fan of the Medallion Relic.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I was considering getting a box or two, but no chance without a guaranteed autograph per box. I just bought a box of Guardians of the Galaxy and pulled a sketch as my 'premium' hit, and I still feel sick thinking about dropping $90 and ending up with that. If I spend $80/90 on this and end up with a medallion and printing plate, I would be devastated.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anyone bringing it into uk contact me in the usual way thanks

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by TheUberBob:

-Bob-

Bob,

We actually know quite a bit considering...

I wouldn't expect an autograph list for a month or two yet.

But, it's better than UD where Guardians of the Galaxy checklist appeared only after boxes were already being broke.

Ed

That's a mighty fine list but you and I both know that what will make or break this set (as with most sets) is the autograph list and insertion rate. I'm saying that not only as a retailer but also as a fan. At a big show last weekend I spoke with one of the biggest non-sports dealers in Texas and he still hasn't heard anything. I took the plunge and ordered a case for my store, but it would be nice to know if I've got a chance of making that money back.

Thanks,

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
There are some images at http://www.cardboardconnection...doctor-trading-cards (including sample autographs and breakdown).

Release date is 10th or 20th December.
My only question is if it'll be available in the UK.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be available in the UK as we are getting some. Smile

Posts: 61 | Location: Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom | Registered: June 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Card Owner:
It will be available in the UK as we are getting some. Smile

Excellent!
I had my doubts because of the rules they have about selling to bricks & mortar stores. Or is that just Upper Deck?.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Excellent!
I had my doubts because of the rules they have about selling to bricks & mortar stores. Or is that just Upper Deck?.
That's just Upper Deck. Topps will sell to anyone Big Grin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In a stunning development Roll Eyes this set has been delayed. Topps are apparently having trouble with the BBC, what a surprise Big Grin .

BTW I am being sarcastic! Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
In a stunning development Roll Eyes this set has been delayed. Topps are apparently having trouble with the BBC, what a surprise Big Grin .

BTW I am being sarcastic! Smile .

I always find this interesting that card companies have so much trouble when I can find almost any kind of Doctor Who image plastered on an infinite number of items!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Has any artist been asked to do a sketch card for this set, I have not heard of one?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Has any artist been asked to do a sketch card for this set, I have not heard of one?

Perhaps that's the cause of the delay. Topps may be having trouble getting sketches approved or getting permission to do them in the first place (pure speculation, me thinking out loud). Didn't that bury the Avatar set they had planned a few years back?

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I would have thought sketch cards would be impossible for this set.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Packrat
posted Hide Post
Did this set get pushed back? I had pre-ordered a box through Blowout cards, but just noticed that they are now saying April! Ack!

Posts: 25 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Remember inkworks had even issued promo's for their Dr Who set and it never happened! Until we see actual boxes of the stuff don't hold your breath!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card manufacturers have consistently underestimated how difficult it is to deal with the BBC. The problem is the number of different departments involved that can veto images and you have to get the OK from all of them. One negative and it can't be used.

I would not be at all surprised if this set never happens Frown .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the set is actually out, then I will buy it, if the autos are too hard then forget it, I have autos of 9 of the 12 Doctors, I am missing Troughton (fingers crossed I can get a legit signature down the road). Eccelston and Capaldi. I have a Pertwee Cornerstone auto card and the Cards Inc autos of Baker, Davison, Baker, McCoy and McGann. My William Hartnell is a signature from an autograph book, my Tennant and Smith's are on 8 x 10's. What can I say I am a big Whovian. Big Grin

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rich65

Have you also got a John Hurt autograph as he also played a Doctor alongside David Tennant and Matt Smith in the Day of the Doctor as the War Doctor.

regards

John Levitt

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post