Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Finally - a Doctor Who set for North America!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally - a Doctor Who set for North America!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The War Doctor right, no I do not, only autograph of his in my wife's and my collection is a Harry Potter autograph card.

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Rich65

Have you also got a John Hurt autograph as he also played a Doctor alongside David Tennant and Matt Smith in the Day of the Doctor as the War Doctor.

regards

John Levitt

I collect Doctor Who autograhs and I don't consider him as one of the Doctors since he never had his own standalone episode. He was put in there to tie-up a bunch of loose ends in the timeline of the show.

That being said I am always looking for autographs of the Doctors and companions, prefer them on index cards since I TTM what I can. One of these days I am going to mock up my displays for them.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich65:
When the set is actually out, then I will buy it, if the autos are too hard then forget it, I have autos of 9 of the 12 Doctors, I am missing Troughton (fingers crossed I can get a legit signature down the road). Eccelston and Capaldi. I have a Pertwee Cornerstone auto card and the Cards Inc autos of Baker, Davison, Baker, McCoy and McGann. My William Hartnell is a signature from an autograph book, my Tennant and Smith's are on 8 x 10's. What can I say I am a big Whovian. Big Grin

Hi Rich65,

Did you box-pull the Pertwee auto? The only reason I ask is there are a number of faked Pertwee cornerstone cards out there; I hope yours is genuine.

Posts: 13 | Location: West Yorkshire, UK | Registered: September 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How would I be able to tell if I got a fake?
I got it from a reputable dealer,if he thought it was a fake he would not have sold it, are there any tell tale signs?

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fake Pertwee's I've seen look nothing like his genuine signature. I have a fake and a real card. Firstly, here's the real card:

And here's the fake:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul G,

Posts: 13 | Location: West Yorkshire, UK | Registered: September 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apologies for hijacking the thread. I'm really looking forward to the Topps set... if it does see the light of day. I remember the disappointment of the Inkworks set all too well, and I've never really got into the gaming sets, so it feels like we're long overdue a decent 'Who' trading card set.

posted Hide Post
Yup, mine's a fake, I will let my friend I made the trade with know about it. I am sure he won't be happy either.
Staying on topic, I just want this upcoming set to be awesome.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich65:
Yup, mine's a fake, I will let my friend I made the trade with know about it. I am sure he won't be happy either.
Staying on topic, I just want this upcoming set to be awesome.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've got about a dozen fakes myself, and felt sick for days after I found out. Cornerstone releasing the blank auto cards into the wild didn't help.

The new set looks really promising from the few images I've seen. I just hope it's not going to be too challenging to complete.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, fingers crossed for this set Thumb Up
If you ever come across another real Pertwee let me know, I would love one.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul G:
Cornerstone releasing the blank auto cards into the wild didn't help.

Cornerstone and Strictly Ink leaking blank autograph cards enabled fans to complete their collection by getting them signed in person at conventions and book signings. I know there are a few genuine Jon Pertwee signed ones out there which look different to the pack inserted ones, a friend of mine got Jon to sign a blank card in gold ink, he also got a few others to sign such as Tom Baker.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

Cornerstone and Strictly Ink leaking blank autograph cards enabled fans to complete their collection by getting them signed in person at conventions and book signings. I know there are a few genuine Jon Pertwee signed ones out there which look different to the pack inserted ones, a friend of mine got Jon to sign a blank card in gold ink, he also got a few others to sign such as Tom Baker.

Each to their own, but to me that's not completing a set. And the number of faked (as opposed to signed after the fact) Cornerstone Who autographs out there is shocking.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I had no idea there were Cornerstone fakes. I haven't collected anything more than base sets yet from any of the Who sets so this is information I am glad to know. Is it just Pertwee?

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

Never had these cards and it's the first I heard of this, but I can't think of a more stupid idea. Could they not figure out that blank cards would produce more fakes than be used for genuine autographs? And it completes no collection if some signatures are obtained in-person and some are pack inserted. Both stupid and illogical. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometime ago now I saw a Christopher Lee auto on a Cornerstone Hammer series 2 card that was so dodgy even I could've done a better job of forging it and that was from some dealer on Ebay so it isn't just limited to Who unfortunately. Frown

Posts: 11 | Location: England | Registered: July 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lovemesomecards:
I had no idea there were Cornerstone fakes. I haven't collected anything more than base sets yet from any of the Who sets so this is information I am glad to know. Is it just Pertwee?

Jon Pertwee died about a year after the Cornerstone series two cards came out. He never had the chance to autograph more cards, hence this particular card is highly prized by Doctor Who collectors and therefore particularly prone to being faked.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I can't think of a more stupid idea. Could they not figure out that blank cards would produce more fakes than be used for genuine autographs? Both stupid and illogical. :rolleyes

Unfortunatly Cornerstone are not the only company that release blank cards and unnumbered cards onto the market, it just turns the numbered items into a joke.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lovemesomecards:

Sadly not. Most of the cards have been faked, including:

Nicholas Courtney, Sophie Aldred, Colin Baker, William Russell, Anthony Ainley, John Leeson, John Levene, Caroline John, Sylvester McCoy, Michael Craze, Elisabeth Sladen, Louise Jameson, Wendy Padbury and Jon Pertwee

with the most common one seeming to be the William Russell card. I need to be careful what I say here, but most of them seem to be from the same source. Certainly every fake card I bought was from the same person around 10 years ago.

posted Hide Post
Wow, I should be glad this was my only Cornerstone, all my other autograph cards are the Strictly Ink cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
So...still no news, then?

I know, it's Topps (and, I suppose, the BBC licensing department), so par for the course. It's just that this is the first Topps set I've been actively interested in for myself so I've never really paid much attention before.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheUberBob:
So...still no news, then?

I know, it's Topps (and, I suppose, the BBC licensing department), so par for the course. It's just that this is the first Topps set I've been actively interested in for myself so I've never really paid much attention before.

-Bob-

It's much more the BBC licensing departments and the key problem is it is more than one department you have to deal with. I believe that there are as many as five different parts of the BBC that have to give approval and if four give the OK and one says no then it's back to the drawing board Frown .

Every single card company that has produced or tried to produce sets for BBC programmes has had the same problems.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post