Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Alien Anthology (Upper Deck)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alien Anthology (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Totally agree mykdude, Vasquez was a great character and Goldstein is a great signer at cons. A real shame UD didn't get her seeing as she's done Trek auto cards before.

This my auto card from her:

I like the signers list for this release but I'd rather Sigourney's card had an ALIEN picture rather than ALIENS. Plus, the only missing autos from ALIEN are John Hurt, Yaphet Kotto and Ian Holm - all of whom have signed trading cards before! Having the original complete crew would have been so awesome.

I have a mint set of ALIEN '79 and stickers too and recently managed to add the four variations of the ALIEN card from Topps 75th. Still need a buyback and a printing plate though.

...and don't you mean this set makes for a Quadrilogy? What about the Star Pics Alien3 set???

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
This might confuse matters here but just opened two boxes:

First box had a sketch by Jade, printing plate card # 76 and artist autograph Adam Brown # 12/30.

Second box had a Harry Dean Stanton autograph.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:

First box had a sketch by Jade, printing plate card # 76 and artist autograph Adam Brown # 12/30.

Nothing much confusing about those from where I sit. Big Grin Congrats on the great pulls! Thumb Up

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And just tonight two more Harry Dean Stanton autographs have turned up for sale. How quickly perceived rarities can change. Roll Eyes Big Grin I still believe he's rarer than most if not all the other singles though.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hahaha! It's only confusing because there seems to be two advertised numbers that places the case run between 300 and 500. What fun would it be if UD wasn't out there confusing collectors? Cool

I did read on another board that someone pulled the Weaver/Henn autograph.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I have a mint set of ALIEN '79 and stickers too and recently managed to add the four variations of the ALIEN card from Topps 75th. Still need a buyback and a printing plate though.

...and don't you mean this set makes for a Quadrilogy? What about the Star Pics Alien3 set???

I never even thought of putting my 75th anniversary cards with the set. I only have 3 the one numbered to 10 will be tough. But I did pull a Stallone auto. Cool

I keep the Alien 3 set with my AVP. Only have so much space I can do in one notebook. Big Grin Just saw a buyback for Alien 3 for the Topps 75th set. Why would they do that? Was Star Pic an affiliation?

Looks like Weaver and Hurt are going to do a little time voodoo dancing around my wallet trying to get my money. This is why I will never pre-buy UD. They are the devil. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
So really, best to hold off I guess and let the product properly hit the market?

You really don't know yet. I thought that $300 price on the first Weaver autograph sold was a good buy, but that's because I expected it to be at least $400. Early buyers picking up before prices settle usually do seem to overpay to me, but the opposite could just as easily be true on certain select cards.

You really have to decide how much you need the cards right now. Would you be sicker if you passed up a good price or you got stuck with a bad price? Big Grin

I don't need them, but I want them! Big Grin

I don't mind overpaying (a tiny bit) in the end if I picked a nice signature and it was someone I really wanted because usually a card always turns up cheaper at some point - only one or two people can ever to jump on something at the lowest price ever seen.

So I suppose... sicker at passing up a good price but I have always said, if you're prepared to wait it out, you'll always have a another chance at getting the rarest cards for less than you might think so know my chance would come round again. But when?

One of the best examples I in my own collecting is the Alan Cumming James Bond full-bleed auto. Bought it for £30 at release in 2006, decided to sell it a year or so later as didn't want to pursue the full-bleed cards even though I really liked the image on this one. Sold it at auction (big mistake!) for £22.
Decided a couple years later to pick up select FB autos again and this was one of my favourites, and was always going for £50-£70 minimum. Thought I'd wait it out for a cheaper price but the over the years saw them go for £80, £90, £120 odd, then at its peak £280/$400!!! Eek I REALLY regretted selling it when I saw that auction, and had pretty much given up hope of getting that card again.
Then last year I lost an auction for it that ended about £90 and a few months later won one at £46! So it do believe my own advice but it took 6+ years to find it again!

But as you say, certain select cards may be rare and we don't even know it yet. I'm used to buying products from companies that give you far more info so I am far more confident in my buying. I don't have a clue with this!

Funny how things work out sometimes. I tried to get the Alan Cumming auto years ago but never found it for less than £70 and so stopped looking. After reading this post had a look on Ebay and won one for £16 Eek . Thanks for reminding me about the card " X " Thumb Up .

I also picked up a Sean Pence sketch of Anna Paquin as Rogue and the Vinnie Jones auto from X Men 2 for less than £20 each. Seems like now is a good time to be a buyer!

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

I tried to get the Alan Cumming auto years ago but never found it for less than £70 and so stopped looking. After reading this post had a look on Ebay and won one for £16 Eek . Thanks for reminding me about the card " X " Thumb Up .

Big Grin Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny how things work out sometimes. I tried to get the Alan Cumming auto years ago but never found it for less than £70 and so stopped looking. After reading this post had a look on Ebay and won one for £16 Eek . Thanks for reminding me about the card " X " Thumb Up .

I also picked up a Sean Pence sketch of Anna Paquin as Rogue and the Vinnie Jones auto from X Men 2 for less than £20 each. Seems like now is a good time to be a buyer!

Yes, it is a great time to have liquidity because it is combination of just too much accumulation of product and the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

I am not speaking of specific overproduction in non-sport cards, because most of these titles have fairly limited production numbers. Yet the sheer volume of certified autographs, sketches, relic/costumes, printing plates and every other type of premium hit you can think of has far surpassed the general demand. The top tier 5% will hold its value, but everything else is getting lost in the sauce, and there are plenty of great cards in there for those collectors that don't already own them.

Same thing with "what have you done for me lately". Both old and new card collectors get obsessed with keeping up on current releases. When the majority of the focus is on the new stuff, the old stuff begins to look more disposable because the demand has slacked off. A lot of collectors begin to try to fund new cards by selling old cards that don't have that "hot" feeling anymore.

Bottom line is that, for collectors who have been waiting, it's a great time to check those old cards that were out of reach before and see what is available now. Smile

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nice to see you posting HH. I miss your arguments with Batman!

Great pulls, especially the Harry Dean. I think everyone wants that one right now. I know I do.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I never even thought of putting my 75th anniversary cards with the set. I only have 3 the one numbered to 10 will be tough. But I did pull a Stallone auto. Cool

I keep the Alien 3 set with my AVP. Only have so much space I can do in one notebook. Big Grin Just saw a buyback for Alien 3 for the Topps 75th set. Why would they do that? Was Star Pic an affiliation?

Looks like Weaver and Hurt are going to do a little time voodoo dancing around my wallet trying to get my money. This is why I will never pre-buy UD. They are the devil. Roll Eyes

I think the Topps 75th cards go perfectly with the originals. I lucked out on the Alien Modern Gloss - seems no one else was interested in that auction. Was your Stallone Rambo or Rocky? Those are VERY cool cards.

I have seen two Alien3 buybacks but have absolutely no idea what Star Pics have to do with Topps. Anyone?

Weaver & Hurt? Confused

quote:

Well I'm glad my comments were well timed enough to have helped! £20 for a Sean Pence sketch is peanuts. And Alan Cumming's X-Men auto is a wonderful looking card. Thumb Up

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, it is a great time to have liquidity because it is combination of just too much accumulation of product and the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

I am not speaking of specific overproduction in non-sport cards, because most of these titles have fairly limited production numbers. Yet the sheer volume of certified autographs, sketches, relic/costumes, printing plates and every other type of premium hit you can think of has far surpassed the general demand. The top tier 5% will hold its value, but everything else is getting lost in the sauce, and there are plenty of great cards in there for those collectors that don't already own them.

Same thing with "what have you done for me lately". Both old and new card collectors get obsessed with keeping up on current releases. When the majority of the focus is on the new stuff, the old stuff begins to look more disposable because the demand has slacked off. A lot of collectors begin to try to fund new cards by selling old cards that don't have that "hot" feeling anymore.

Bottom line is that, for collectors who have been waiting, it's a great time to check those old cards that were out of reach before and see what is available now. Smile

I agree with large elements of this, although I will say, where an older licence had finite sets and isn't getting endlessly re-run through different sets, i.e. Lord of The Rings, Indiana Jones etc then some of these sets do have strong collector demand, especially for the top 5% as you do also note. I myself have returned to my first love of the Indiana Jones Heritage card set, and whilst there are certainly bargains to be had, there is strong demand still for the absolute cream of that set, Grove, Hughes, Palmer, Bellinger, Plunkett, Brooks etc as well as the shorter print autos, which again if anything have risen, Freeman, Molena, Rhys-Davies, Capshaw etc.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Headless Horseman:

Nice to see you posting HH. I miss your arguments with Batman!

I still argue with Batboy but usually by text message now!!!!! Thumb Up

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I have seen two Alien3 buybacks but have absolutely no idea what Star Pics have to do with Topps. Anyone?

I noticed those right away, but never posted about it at first as I wanted to get a few more, haha, and then, I forgot all about them. I've seen about 10 total, and I have two of them. The best chance to pick up a few was in a lot of 4, but the seller sold it off Ebay to someone and I just missed it.

Here's one of mine:

These likely slipped in with the other actual Topps cards purchased for use as buy-backs in this set, and no one at Topps noticed those weren't Topps-made cards, a goodly sized oversight. Hard to say how many of them made it into packs, but I'm thinking one set.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
One of the Ripley dog tags is up for auction and all I can think is.....

Dear Upper Deck employee, you had every one of her signatures to select from for a 1 of 5 card and this is the one you choose?! REALLY?!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can think of when looking at that dog tag is that Ripley was never a Colonial Marine.

But if you wanted to count her as a Colonel Marine because she came with them on the troop transport USS Sulaco, then that's what the tag should say.

But it says USCSS Nostromo, which was a fuel/cargo ship from the original Alien and no crew members were Colonel Marines.

The tag idea is fine for a card, but it should have been reserved for only the Aliens characters that really would have worn them.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I can think of when looking at that dog tag is that Ripley was never a Colonial Marine.

But if you wanted to count her as a Colonel Marine because she came with them on the troop transport USS Sulaco, then that's what the tag should say.

But it says USCSS Nostromo, which was a fuel/cargo ship from the original Alien and no crew members were Colonel Marines.

The tag idea is fine for a card, but it should have been reserved for only the Aliens characters that really would have worn them.

Yup! Although anyone military would have dog tags a bunch of contractors certainly would not. Smile I don't recall them in the first film.

However; I am getting the distinct feeling that this set was slapped together without too much fore or after thought or much care for that matter. I have been out of the loop with UD for well over 6 or 7 years and did not realize the disaster that the company has become. The only thing I have purchased during this time is a Chris Pratt GotG autograph.

Because I love this title so much, I will collect as much of it as I can and then I will go my separate ways with UD.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/07/...-fall-of-upper-deck/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
X

I was just going through my 79 set and realized that the back of my number 5 card was upside down. Is yours this way?

Cant believe I have never paid attention to this.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
chesspieceface - bizarre that Topps couldn't even identify they didn't make those Alien 3 cards, you know given the lack of the word "Topps" anywhere on them!

mykdude - I agree the auto on the Ripley dog tag is not the nicest, but to many 'normal' people, an autograph is an autograph. I wouldn't want it however!
Dunno on Alien '79 card #5 will have to have a look next time I get chance.

Raven - I rolled my eyes when I saw the Ripley tag said "Colonial Marine". Even all the cardbacks say "Space Marine Dog Tags". By my reckoning it was quite obvious these cards should have been for the marines only. Then I'm scratching my head as to why we only have Hudson as an auto'd dog tag and no regular version etc. As mykdude says, the set seems to lack some thought.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Gotta say, now I have some cards in hand, I'm really happy with this set. Sure, some missed opportunities in the autograph department and the dog tags which should have been easy to make but hey, the first new Alien set in 20 years. I'm lapping it up. I love this franchise.

The artwork base set is vivid and eye-catching, and fresher than more photos. I like the set a lot more than I thought I would.
The Profiles chase cards have some, erm, interesting likenesses, but the backgrounds are straight off the blu-ray menu (nice touch). I love the Weyland-Yutani propaganda cards because of their imagination and the Legendary Encounters cards have some very nice art. The dog tags have a nice quality feel to them, a really nice thick stock as well although they all seem to display corner/edge wear.
Speaking of which, all the autos aren't the mintest when it comes to corners... I thought stickers were meant to keep auto cards in good condition back at manufacturer HQ? Roll Eyes Some base cards display some edge cutting defects as well but not enough to be noticeable. The sketches seem nice stock and I like the touches of silver foil.

I don't do master sets anymore but I'm going to try and go for:
- Base set
- Silver foil parallel set (piecing this one together in bits which should be fun a singles are not too rare)
- The Propaganda, Profiles and Weyland-Yutani chase sets
- x1 Patty "McPancakes" auto from the Propaganda set
- x4 printing plates (x1 for each of the 4 films, each one a different colour)
- x4 sketch cards (x1 for each film)
- the 4 dog-tags for the Marine characters
- doubles of the Hicks and Bishop tags to get signed at a convention
- the single autos set of 16 (I really do not like stickers but at least UD have incorporated them well into the card design)

I was worried I would not be able to get this card but fellow board member Goldfish, who I can't recommend highly enough, traded it me (I've not done a trade in YEARS!) and arrived yesterday...