Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Alien Anthology (Upper Deck)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alien Anthology (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Age and health have a lot to do with deteriorating autographs. Big factors are also the differences in pen/ink strokes and what material you are signing. We are seeing radical differences in on-card as compared to sticker signatures for some people.

In this case the Holm's signature has gotten better. He has been fairly shaky for awhile. This version is neater and more legible. I don't claim to have noticed the change before those eagle eyes pointed it out, but it is a different autograph.

It could just be that he has gotten better meds and if that is the case I wish him well. Smile

I just saw a recent Burt Reynolds that looks like it has lost much since he first signed for the Twilight Zone release.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

As for what UD is doing, they are playing games. Whether it works for them in the end or not I wouldn't know. Just saw on another forum that the e-Pack buyers believe that Dr. Strange will be in e-Packs also. Don't know where that info came from, supposed to be a one card per pack release, which is about as high end as you can get. Will be interesting to see if it happens to that title as well. I don't really care, won't effect me one way or the other, but if e-Packs will follow it should be known for those interested.

Exactly what I am saying. It is one thing for a set to come out and the price moves in whatever direction based on supply and demand. It is something very different to release a perception of a low run product ($1500 a case) and then dump on the market a few months later.

I was in a card store yesterday and had to laugh at the 5 unopened boxes of 1991 UD football that they were practically giving away. This is a shady company behaving poorly to collectors. The death of Richard McWilliam has seemed to of made little change to what it thinks of us.

But it's all good, I have learned my lesson. Cool

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I picked up the last of 10 Legendary Artist signed cards yesterday. Except for a couple of first film printer plates I am looking for, I can close the book on this one.

Of course my original plan was to leave the dual sigs alone but if I keep finding the higher end autographs for $60 I might have to jump. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Of course my original plan was to leave the dual sigs alone but if I keep finding the higher end autographs for $60 I might have to jump. Wink

So that just goes back to a conversation I was having with on here with X about all the AA autograph cards. If the higher end dual autographs are available in mid-range prices, how are they higher end cards? If single autographs can be found via ePacks or on other selling platforms at low prices, how are they bargains and not just the market price? Just because the cards might still have a higher price on some auctions site? That will adjust too sooner or later.

Face it, this product has been dumped. Once the second wave of supply turned up in ePacks it surpassed the demand. I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all. The cards were decent, the autograph signers are desirable, and it will be affordable to anyone who wants them.

Nothing wrong with that, except for those collectors who committed early and thought they were buying a high end, very limited product. I'm not one of them, but I don't think collectors should get ePack surprises, if that is what's going to be the plan for some card manufacturers now.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, even with the games of Upper Deck (who have suffered quite extensively for their corrupt actions) it is a finite product and eventually everything will be out on the street. Even this second wave seems to be losing steam on ebay.

With two new films in the works and a franchise that is pretty much embedded into our culture, I see good things for this set down the road.

For all of my complaints towards the manufacture (and my wallet stays closed to most of their products) this was a very inclusive release that most fans would find hard to resist. Add to it several legendary first (possibly last) time signers and I think it makes for a solid addition to anyone's collection. Cool

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Fortunately, even with the games of Upper Deck (who have suffered quite extensively for their corrupt actions) it is a finite product and eventually everything will be out on the street. Even this second wave seems to be losing steam on ebay.

With two new films in the works and a franchise that is pretty much embedded into our culture, I see good things for this set down the road.

For all of my complaints towards the manufacture (and my wallet stays closed to most of their products) this was a very inclusive release that most fans would find hard to resist. Add to it several legendary first (possibly last) time signers and I think it makes for a solid addition to anyone's collection. Cool

I agree. I know most collectors seem to get more excited and seem willing to spend infinitely more for auto cards of the likes of Angelina Jolie/Jessica Alba, but they are a passing fancy. Films like Alien though will always be remembered, and a set that gives us autos from that cast will always score top marks in my book, even if they were made by Upper Deck.

It can't be stated enough, but an official autograph card of Weaver is such a big deal. And for me, Harry Dean and Ian Holm are a real coup, especially at their age, on cards for a nearly 40 year old film. Whilst some don't care what card/set their autographs come on, I don't want a LOTR auto card of Holm. I am over the moon to finally have his auto on an Alien card because Ash was always my favourite character from the series (after Ripley of course).

Like others, I was not impressed with the way Upper Deck handled this set, but what they have offered fans of this series has been a long time coming with only 3 official Alien sets prior to this one. Even with some massive missed opportunities in the autograph list, as a fan, I really appreciate what we now have.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
On another forum someone said the latest NSU mentions UD are releasing another Alien set this year based on the first film... anyone got any more details from the magazine or otherwise?

(And here come more stashed stickers!)

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
On another forum someone said the latest NSU mentions UD are releasing another Alien set this year based on the first film... anyone got any more details from the magazine or otherwise?

There are no other details in NSU, that's all it says, unless you count in the third quarter of 2017.

Sticker autographs, the gift that keeps on giving. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

There are no other details in NSU, that's all it says, unless you count in the third quarter of 2017.

Sticker autographs, the gift that keeps on giving. Big Grin

Yeah, exactly. And weren't we discussing a few weeks back about the rarity of the Sigourney autos?
What a massive surprise it would be to to see her autographs in this next set!

Generally I'm not one for multiple/different auto cards of a signer (even my favourite celebs) unless any repeats are cheap, but a Sigourney auto in this set would put me in a bit of a quandary.
I'm very happy, and feel very lucky to have her single auto from Anthology: I like the 'Mother' computer screen design, I like the stickers are hidden well, I like that for the first time in years I have actually completed an autograph run. But for me, a Sigourney auto on an ALIEN specific card would top the one she's already done (that used a pic from ALIENS).

Thinking about it more, besides Sigourney I would expect to see more sticker autos from Skerritt, Stanton, Holm and Cartwright. But could we also be getting autos from Yaphet Kotto who has signed previously for Bond, or maybe even the last ever auto cards from John Hurt? What a momento to a great actor the latter would be. Unless Ridley Scott signs a few there's not much else UD could include as real hits for such an old film (besides manufactured rubbish).

I'd love to see a base set for Alien and get more autos in the same Anthology style for missing names across the whole film series, but I don't see UD doing that.

Frankly I'm surprised they're even doing a second set devoted to one film, even if it is one of the greatest films ever made.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Thinking about it more, besides Sigourney I would expect to see more sticker autos from Skerritt, Stanton, Holm and Cartwright. But could we also be getting autos from Yaphet Kotto who has signed previously for Bond, or maybe even the last ever auto cards from John Hurt? What a momento to a great actor the latter would be. Unless Ridley Scott signs a few there's not much else UD could include as real hits for such an old film (besides manufactured rubbish).

I'd love to see a base set for Alien and get more autos in the same Anthology style for missing names across the whole film series, but I don't see UD doing that.

Frankly I'm surprised they're even doing a second set devoted to one film, even if it is one of the greatest films ever made.

Honestly I think that it may just be that UD has these extra signed stickers and they need a product to put them on. Wink

The Alien cast is very small, only seven actors in total made up the crew of the Nostromo. The only other person was the man in the Alien suit, Bolaji Badejo, and sadly he passed away many years ago.

Kotto did not sign for Alien Anthology. I never hear his name brought up in connection with later Alien events. I could be wrong, but I don't know that he does shows. I think he is not warm to it for Alien, whatever the reason.

The Holm signatures only appeared in the e-Pack release of Alien Anthology. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot more of them kicking around.

Hurt was not included either. Maybe his stickers were late like Holm's were, but Hurt was in ill health for awhile. I would like to see him in the new set, but that may be asking too much.

Beyond that it would just be getting more autographs of Cartwright, Stanton, Skerritt and of course Weaver. As mentioned, only Weaver was not pictured in her Alien Ripley role, all the others were since their parts did not continue. You could have more dual or triple cards, stickers make that easy.

I don't know about relics, it's a 38 year old film. I really didn't care for many of the sketches included in Anthology, but they may have some that got tied up in the approval process and are left over. I thought a lot of the sketches just didn't look like the characters, many didn't even seem to try hard.

I have only one card from Anthology, so I wouldn't mind the opportunity to perhaps get some of these, but the timing is odd. Might we expect separate Aliens, Alien3 and Alien Resurrection sets to follow? Never can tell. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Kane auto would have been nice (not that Kane, he has plenty in the premier gold football set) but luckily John Hurt has signed a few products, Sigourney Weaver, I would have preferred an Alien and not Aliens image, Tom Skerritt was the auto for me, I waited years has a fan to get him on anything, the set (for me)left a lot to be desired though.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
News that Bill Paxton has passed away suddenly at 61.

He had a long career, but Aliens was certainly one of his best known pictures. Very sorry to hear this, RIP Private Hudson.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Not trying to sound insensitive, but I checked COMC last week for Paxton autos and saw several for $50 and less, so I thought 'why rush, I'll get one next week'. Now there are two starting at ~$90. Sad.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
quote:

Not trying to sound insensitive, but I checked COMC last week for Paxton autos and saw several for $50 and less, so I thought 'why rush, I'll get one next week'. Now there are two starting at ~$90. Sad.

That is the death bounce that follows the passing of celebrities big and small. It is unfortunate that people should try to profit off of such things, but it reflects the fact that the supply of autographs for that person has now reached its final number.

If it is any consolation, the bounce usually does not last very long. The cost of the signature of most deceased celebrities will generally return very close to its original value prior to the death date in a couple of years.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Good a place as any to say Happy Alien Day to all.

And if you don't know why April 26th is Alien Day, you will have to forfeit all your Alien cards. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
They were doing an Alien Day screening here but I didn't see the point in watching Prometheus, then Alien, then coming back another day to watch Covenant. I want them in sequence!

Plus, I hate the inconsiderate ***holes that surround you every time you go to the cinema now.

That said, one day I will brave it and see Alien on the big screen... maybe for it's 40th Anniversary?

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if anyone had any plates from this set? I'm looking for any color of 22, 37, 38, 50, 68, 87. Or any really.

Posts: 3 | Location: Columbia SC | Registered: July 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faulkenburg:
I was wondering if anyone had any plates from this set? I'm looking for any color of 22, 37, 38, 50, 68, 87. Or any really.

I was collecting plates of just the original 7 plus one of the ship and Jones. I think I may have four or five of them and then UD caused me to lose interest.

Not really interested in selling though.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not that UD has this amount of creativity but I could really get behind some of the more technical autographs from the original Alien.

H.R. Giger cut
Dan O'Bannon cut
Walter Hill
Ronald Shusett
Ron Cobb
David Giler

and of course, Mr Ridley Scott

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I see in the new August/September 2017 issue of NSU that the Upcoming Card Releases page includes "Alien Trading Cards (Upper Deck)" in the BA section.

No idea what a title like that would mean, maybe its just doesn't have a name yet. Anyway, what it means to me is that UD isn't done with the Alien license and maybe the sticker autograph parade is not over yet.