Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2017 Fleer Ultra Spider-Man
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Fleer Ultra Spider-Man
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted
Upper Deck is bringing back Fleer Ultra Spider-Man. Not sure on price, but base set is new artwork.

http://www.beckett.com/news/20...r-man-trading-cards/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
That's good timing since the original FUSM came out in 1997 and debuted the first "Sketchagraph" (sketch cards) for Marvel trading card releases. That FUSM '97 Sketchagraph line-up probably has the greatest collection of comic book artists of any product with pack-inserted sketch cards. Hopefully Upper Deck has some grand plans.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Original Fleer Ultra Spider-Man set was released in 1995, and was a big hit.

The 1997 edition, the one with the sketchagraphs, was the second Ultra Spidey set. That set was truly limited and still didn't sell well as cards in general were on a downhill spiral industry wide by 1997. The 3-4 boxes I got of FUSM97 were at clearance prices, I recall. (Alas, no sketchagraph for me in those.)

Pretty cool that it's to be all-new art for this one, keeping in the spirit of the original two. Original art was the selling point of these kinds of cards (that, and the latest whistles and bell, tech-wise) for comic art sets before the days of modern "hits".

I was wondering why Upper Deck hadn't already gone back to the retro well for the "EX" line and the "E-Motion" cards (used on Marvel cards the only time so far for 1995 Marvel Masterpieces), so it looks like they might finally be doing that for this set, which is great. Those cards have proven very popular with non-sports and sports cards collectors, alike.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Of course ... 1995 was the original!

I was a bit overzealous trying to point out that this year is the 20th anniversary of the Marvel Sketchagraph. I hope there's some plans to do a write up in NSU or one of the other Beckett publications about the FUSM Sketchagraphs (and even the other 2 Marvel Sketchagraph sets from 1998). Hearing about the process from the artists themselves and even the collectors would be pretty neat.

Here's link to an older thread about one collector's amazing FUSM Sketchagraph collection:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....807032616#7807032616

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that collection is the stuff of legend! I wonder if Craig still has all of those. I would imagine he does and that he's even added to it, but I haven't seen any more recent posts from him here or on Comic Art Fans.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Yeah, that collection is the stuff of legend! I wonder if Craig still has all of those. I would imagine he does and that he's even added to it, but I haven't seen any more recent posts from him here or on Comic Art Fans.

The last that I can remember is when he told the story of pulling that sweet Steve Epting Hulk/Spidey Sketchagraph.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/2857057176

posted Hide Post
I'm excited for this set! I agree with Heroes For Hire, in that I hope NSU has some plans for a write up about FUSM '97 sketchagraphs. That would be great!

Also, reading the story about that collector's sketchagraph collection is awesome. Especially the part where he pulled the Epting sketchagraph. Reminds me a lot of when I pulled my Epting sketchagraph.

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post