Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Middle Earth CZX (Cryptozoic)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Middle Earth CZX (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Can't find much information about Cryptozoic's Middle Earth, but it looks like it will carry the CZX brand. That is kind of encouraging, if it means that there will be enough big signers from the series to warrant what will probably be a high end price like the DC Movies and Outlander.

Because the Lord of the Rings franchise has already been covered well in cards, even starting back with Topps, I really see no reason to do it again unless they get all the main living actors from the first trilogy. It would be worth it then and only then.

So let's hope it happens because I have not tried CZX, but would go in for Middle Earth if the autographs were there. Wish we had more info about this product. It seems like its been hanging around for a long time with no real data coming out.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I imagine there's going to be a hiccup in the trading cards from Cryptozoic as they have some personnel changes in the trading card division.

Other than the full page back ad in NSU, there's been radio silence on this one. Again not surprising considering CZE's policy of not announcing signers until they are in hand.

I just want them to make this worth the inevitable price tag. Both CZX products thus far carried an MSRP over $250.00. So I'm happy to wait for them to make it good, there's no date that has to be met for a movie release or 'event' to tie in with.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I imagine there's going to be a hiccup in the trading cards from Cryptozoic as they have some personnel changes in the trading card division.

Other than the full page back ad in NSU, there's been radio silence on this one. Again not surprising considering CZE's policy of not announcing signers until they are in hand.

I just want them to make this worth the inevitable price tag. Both CZX products thus far carried an MSRP over $250.00. So I'm happy to wait for them to make it good, there's no date that has to be met for a movie release or 'event' to tie in with.

Ed

What personnel changes? I only know one or two people there, the ones who go to the shows.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Ed

What personnel changes? I only know one or two people there, the ones who go to the shows.

Jamie Kiskis and Dustin Porras have both left Cryptozoic.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hopefully Crypto gets their trading card division firing on all cylinders quickly -- there definitely seems to be increased interest in trading cards lately.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
...Because the Lord of the Rings franchise has already been covered well in cards, even starting back with Topps, I really see no reason to do it again unless they get all the main living actors from the first trilogy. It would be worth it then and only then....

There will be plenty of new material soon.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
...Because the Lord of the Rings franchise has already been covered well in cards, even starting back with Topps, I really see no reason to do it again unless they get all the main living actors from the first trilogy. It would be worth it then and only then....

There will be plenty of new material soon.

Not sure what you mean by "new material", but I'm just going by what I think would be worth the money to me. I didn't get caught up with The Hobbit half of the films, I saw and liked the first 3 movies.

So for me at least, I wouldn't care that much for even better signatures or sketches from the later movies when the box is on the wrong side of $200. I'm buying to get a card I want to keep, not with an eye to flip it. That's what makes CZE type cards a bad risk for me to even try blind unless I can find value in the commoner hits I am more likely to pull. Maybe "new material" might qualify as value to me, but I don't know what that is right now.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I waited until the BluRay edition of the original trilogy came out before I shopped for a big-screen TV since my cathode ray tube TV was still working fine. (If you want a bigger screen, move the screen closer to where you sit.)

Together with the original DVD release there were nearly 10 commentary tracks, which add a lot of value to me. Chock full of observations from cast and several corners of the production team. You don't get that with streaming. It adds a bit of additional promotion to the actors and moviemakers. (But I also remember when card sets started including Richard Taylor autos and some people said 'who is this guy and why does he get an autographed card?')

For the LOTR card franchise Topps also inserted a wide assortment of "unusually interesting" memorabilia cards. Card back text by Gerani didn't hurt the attraction to me either, though I think he hadn't received feedback from those series in quite a while. I've said before that I'm a sucker for a full story in card text for a sweeping saga. (When some people talk about TV series around the water cooler, I sometimes say I never saw an episode but I have the trading card sets. That leaves many opportunities for binge watching of shows I missed the first time around but gained some enthusiasm from the cards.)

One other attraction from the LOTR saga was the extreme accessibility of the filmmakers (especially Jackson) in the online official and fan sites, newsgroups, and blogs. It hearkened back to Joe Straczynski before and during Babylon 5.

A few movie franchises bring out 'golden anniversary' or similar editions on DVD. I look not just for remastered video, but also for retro commentary. It doesn't hurt at all if they are smart enough to include some trading cards in the package. Big Grin

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

(But I also remember when card sets started including Richard Taylor autos and some people said 'who is this guy and why does he get an autographed card?')

An oscar winner with an on card autograph and you could not give them away. I trust things have changed a bit now.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Make that FIVE Oscars and countless other awards. Many people here recognize the name Weta Workshop, though their recognition soared outside Oceania after LOTR.

My sister was the one on the right, not the left.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
(When some people talk about TV series around the water cooler, I sometimes say I never saw an episode but I have the trading card sets. That leaves many opportunities for binge watching of shows I missed the first time around but gained some enthusiasm from the cards.)

Funny you should say that I had never heard of the show Grimm but after seeing the trading cards I had a look and ended by binge watching the whole lot.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:

Funny you should say that I had never heard of the show Grimm but after seeing the trading cards I had a look and ended by binge watching the whole lot.

Elizabeth Tulloch is playing Lois Lana in the new Arrowverse Superman show. She played Juliette in Grimm

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post