Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Potential Huge Signers for Leaf Pop Century 2
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potential Huge Signers for Leaf Pop Century 2
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicnac:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There is no such thing as a 9-11 souvenir.

Sorry, but there are. There were souvenirs while the ground was still smoking. Cabinet members of the last presidency diverted twisted metal pieces for personal mementos for their offices. More public, there have been these late night infomercials selling 'commemorative' coins for some new warship in the U.S. Navy (USS New York), the ship itself made from steel from the remains of the world trade center, and the coins made from gold and silver recovered from the world trade center. The infomercial tells you how it would actually be patriotic for you to buy these, only 19.95 plus S&H, limit 5.

Disgusting? Yes. Offensive? Yes. In 200 years, who knows.

Sorry Nicnac, you misunderstood my sarcasm. There are certainly 9-11 souvenirs, I just don't think people should buy them. By spending money on that stuff people create a market for cheaply made garbage that exploits a manmade tragedy for profit. I was talking about things I thought shouldn't be collected and 9-11 mementoes falls into that catagory for me.

As for seeing how my emotions are making me see things that are not really there . . . ? Confused

I went on record first in this thread that I don't like the Kennedy/Oswald card because the combination of both autographs and the assassination Car material is in bad taste. Some people agreed and some didn't, but none of my comments were emotional or directed at anyone except Leaf management. Now I think its time to move on to brighter subjects. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for seeing how my emotions are making me see things that are not really there . . . ?

quote:
...but none of my comments were emotional or directed at anyone except Leaf management.

I'm quite certain your post between my lengthy replies was aimed at me because it addresses things I specifically mentioned such as 9/11 souvenirs, Titanic relics, and includes something about arguing in order to feel better about supporting something wrong.

quote:
You can make a decent argument for a lot of things that you know are wrong. It still won't make it right, it just makes you feel better about doing it anyway.

As for 9-11 souveniors, I was in NY when the towers came down. I knew people who went down with them, everyone in the city knew someone, who knew someone that died that day. There is no such thing as a 9-11 souvenir.

Not now, not a 100 years from now. The Titanic was a natural disaster, there is a difference.

I made it clear I do not support this card. I will never support this card. I only supposed that time and distance will lessen the disgust... ah never mind. I don't know why I have spent so much time on drivel such as this product.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cards have started to appear on the 'bay, looks pretty good so far. Can't find a checklist (yet), but I guess we'll soon find out if its worth the price point. Last time it was a point of contention for me--local dealer was selling it at regular price, and a couple months later at both card shows and on e-bay it could be had for literally half of what I paid. When things are more than $100, half matters! --Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
is Left going to get into trouble for using pictures that they dont have rights to?

They have autos in the set using Buck Rodgers, Star Trek,Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Lost in Space,Grease and LOST pictures.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checklist is up. Yay! Glad they decided to put more money into the line up and less into the cut signature cards. I suck at internetting, so I can't promise the link will work, but it took a minute to load for me...

http://www.leaftradingcards.co...entury_Checklist.pdf

On an aside, I gave up doing the /20 wardrobe set last time because I grew frustrated with sellers who wouldn't ship to Canada. With the parallels, it looks like this could again be an issue. Ah, the frustrations of collecting hunh? --Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just when I thought i would take a break from cards for a month,up pops a new Ashley Judd autograph card Razz

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL... Seriously? No one updated that the "big card" has been pulled? Congrats go out to Miss Lizzy. Like many others, I bow before your superior pack picking skills. (Although I wonder if they put the no sticker auto in the on purpose as some kind of weird authenticity control? Strange thing to have done on purpose though...)

And now the downside of having a single "monster card" in run--you know it's been pulled. At a card show a while back someone was trying to push a bunch of Hulk boxes on me, claiming there was a 1/1 Lee/Kirby dual auto. I remember someone here owns the thing already, so that was not a real strong (possibly only) selling point!

Although I am somewhat disappointed by the number of repeat signers, and the volume of repeats within this set, I'm guessing I can look forward to making this same bit of whining again next year. Maybe they'll make another controversial card like cut sigs from Kurt Cobain or Lady Diana for M. Lizzy to pull... Honestly?! You did it with the boards first and only pack break?! A dealer told me it could take another couple of weeks for him to even turn a pack up for me! We're not worthy! We're not worthy! *(Insert bowing) --Chris

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
LETS SEE!! LETS SEE IT!!

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
IT HAS BEEN PULLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Detroit | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lost. What is the "big" card and who pulled it? I couldn't tell by the link above what the card was. Thanks!

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Kennedy/Oswald card

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I just read the box break by Miss Lizzy. That was some amazing luck. I would tell her to buy a lottery ticket but I think she already won.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I hated to make a new one, and couldn't find any info anywhere else.

Are these cards actually signed on card? Or are they the sticker type?

I know the ones of people who were deceased at the time they printed them have to be.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Floyd:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I hated to make a new one, and couldn't find any info anywhere else.

Are these cards actually signed on card? Or are they the sticker type?

I know the ones of people who were deceased at the time they printed them have to be.

Pretty sure all of Leaf's product is sticker except for the cut autos.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply and info.

Disappointed though, there were a few of them I was planing to try to acquire, but now I may pass.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Floyd:
Thanks for the reply and info.

Disappointed though, there were a few of them I was planing to try to acquire, but now I may pass.

You should take a look at what's available. I don't like the sticker signatures either, but I have gotten some nice bargains on these cards for people that don't have any other on-card certified autographs. As long as the sticker is placed well and the signature isn't running off it's as good as it gets. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
Indeed, the prices are pretty good.

I'll keep an open mind, if something comes up that I must have.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that almost all of the Leaf auto cards are stickers with one exception: LeVar Burton. I had heard his cards were hand-signed, particularly the Family Guy autographs but most likely the Pop Century one as well since his autograph is very intricate and wouldn't fit on a sticker.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post