Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Evolution ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Evolution ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I just picked up the Star Wars Episode VII Series 2 set, and know that there is a chrome set coming this summer

But I see NSU lists for May Star Wars Evolution

What is this set ? I see no mention of it anywhere

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
There are so many sets, it is getting hard to keep up!
SW Evolution 2016

I wish they would give it a different name than the 2001 set.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Coming May 18 but very little info

100 card base set

3 chase sets (insert ratios unknown)

Parallels, autos, sketches, patches

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Other than insertion rates, there's more info than a lot of other upcoming releases.

I suspect autographs will be fairly common it's another release with a massive checklist (70+ signers): http://www.beckett.com/news/20...utographs-checklist/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Here's the final checklist: http://www.beckett.com/news/20...star-wars-evolution/

More than 80 different signers.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just for fun, and as a non-Star Wars collector who saw the films, I ran down that list of 86 autograph cards to see how many I could identify.

For 48 out of the 86 cards listed, I did not know either the actor (from anything) nor could I remember the Star Wars character.

No expert am I. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a box and was happy with my 2 main hits.
I got a Luke Skywalker flag card /170 and a George Takei as Lok Durd autograph number 12/25. Dance Metal
I was happy since I like both Star Trek and Star Wars Big Grin

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Snagged a few Topps Vault Blank Back Cards.....

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
This might sound a bit rich coming from someone who likes Bond cards but are there many out there still getting excited for new Star Wars sets?

Topps are taking the phrase 'milking it' to whole new levels, and 'master sets' just aren't do-able anymore.

Or are there still plenty of Star Wars collectors lapping up the new stuff but in a more pick-and-mix approach like people who collect other big franchises like Bond, or Trek? It just seems like with the exception of rare new things like a Death Star prop card in the upcoming second Masterworks set (how cool is that?!?) there is just SO much repeated Star Wars material from Topps several times per year. I don't know how Star Wars fans keep up.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a mini master for this Evolution set. Topps could not even think up a new name for this set, like Evolution Update Updated.

SW TFA Chrome is out next month. I think it is fun to trade with other collectors to finish a set, but with the turnaround time so short, there is not time! So, I may just get mini masters for awhile, until this frenetic pace slows down.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I must admit i do throw my eyebrows up in the air when i hear that another Star Wars / Trek / Bond set is to be released, i mean just how many pictures of the same people do you need?

Having said that i get the feeling that the profits made from these sets allow the manufacturers to make sets for other shows so that makes it ok.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Topps are taking the phrase 'milking it' to whole new levels, and 'master sets' just aren't do-able anymore.

Thank goodness I have never been overly interested in Star Wars. I more or less checked out after the first trilogy, only the first two movies were good anyway. Wink

Talking about the SW cards, I think it's an impossible situation for SW collectors. The sets are all well done and they just keep on coming in the assigned title line. Anything retail has been produced into worthlessness and the accumulation of all the limited and super limited sets covering exactly the same ground is staggering. That's why the new trilogy was so important to add new blood. I think SW card collectors, if they expect to have anything that looks like half way complete, have to pick one title/set type and stick with it to the exclusion of all others.

Getting back to the blank back cards from TOPPS Vault, this is another part of the hobby that I have never been able to reconcile, even though I understand it. Blank back cards were error cards. They skipped a part of the printing process when the sheet didn't get put through and the cards were packed. There were always some error card collectors that wanted them, but I always called them for what they were, half a card. Big Grin

Now TOPPS Vault sells blank back cards directly to customers. Is that not intentionally making an error card for the purpose of sale? Years ago manufacturers used to be accused of doing just that with sports cards to increase the sales of packs and boxes. All the manufacturers always denied doing it on purpose, but experienced collectors were skeptical to say the least. Some of the error cards of major players were very expensive when they first came out, but now prices have really decreased on most of those reverse negative photos, missing names and incomplete print jobs.

I don't see the attraction in a blank back card as an error, but if it's made to be that way, isn't it just another card?

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like sets of the 9 morph cards are tough to put together

9 different, and only 3-4 per case